Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 08:49 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times

Advertisements

We have 2 Rheem air conditioners and they have been going strong for 15 years, I do have maintenance done , in the spring for the air conditioner and then in the fall the heater system is checked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 07:17 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
One of my rentals has a 14 year old Gibson (Nordyne) and I had to replace the inside blower capacitor a few weeks ago. It was causing the blower to not start and then the coil would freeze up. I bought a new one on eBay for $13.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:39 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
ICP is a cheap Carrier HVAC system. For that reason alone I'd be replacing the entire unit. Not sure which is worse, Carrier or Goodman but both are cheap junk. The question of replacing any parts before they fail is kinda dumb. The units we use, Trane, American Standard, or Ruud do not have any kind of failures in at least the first 10 years. Most often the capacitor will last as long as the units which we figure to be about 20 years.
Goodman (the heir) is a bum......I would never buy anything he would profit from. Guy was DUI a few years ago in his Bentley and t-boned a kid coming home from college, kid ended up in a canal. Goodman fled the scene and lawyered up but ended up getting convicted twice.

Wellington polo club founder John Goodman loses appeal of DUI manslaughter conviction - Sun Sentinel

Parents got a 45 million dollar settlement.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:30 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Goodman (the heir) is a bum......I would never buy anything he would profit from. Guy was DUI a few years ago in his Bentley and t-boned a kid coming home from college, kid ended up in a canal. Goodman fled the scene and lawyered up but ended up getting convicted twice.

Wellington polo club founder John Goodman loses appeal of DUI manslaughter conviction - Sun Sentinel

Parents got a 45 million dollar settlement.
I don’t see that guy anywhere in the company’s history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodman_Global

Old 02-28-2019, 12:15 AM

6 posts, read 4,615 times
I used it for 15 years

Old 03-05-2019, 10:55 AM

522 posts, read 992,273 times
How does one check for a failed capacitor in a split system anyway? Is measuring the capacitance enough?

Old 03-05-2019, 04:06 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don’t see that guy anywhere in the company’s history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodman_Global

And for good reason-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John...(industrialist)

Old 03-05-2019, 04:38 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
How does one check for a failed capacitor in a split system anyway? Is measuring the capacitance enough?

Normally, yes. Though that can burn you from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epfMNxTkmns

I actually replaced my contactor with a solid state contactor, because, as someone else mentioned here.. I'm in the fire ant zone. I'd wind up getting home, it'd be 90 degrees inside and i'd have to go out with a can of compressed air and a can of Raid to get the contactor closing properly again.

I'd have to do that 2 or 3 times a year, and replace it about every other year.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went with that.. bought it in Feb of 2017.. so, 2 years it's been in now.. Zero problems.

Now, a NORMAL Single Pole with shunt contactor is only about $20 or so, and you can see that is about $50.. But the lack of aggravation has made that worth every penny.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:05 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Ive seen caps go at about 5 years.

Not just climate control systems.

The man came and reprogrammed our garage door opener after it lost its programming.
After using it several times to be sure it worked, he was about to drive away when *poof* a snap and black/gray smoke came out of the unit. I caught him and told him, he said "its the capacitor" i asked if it was due to over use we just had given it, and he said it was. The part was like $10. And to think i would have replaced the unit at a couple hundred dollars for unit and installation with a new one had that not been a common problem the repair guy was familiar with.

The first thing ive seen climate repair man do, if they are any good at their job is to check capacitors. If not good, or bucking for a bonus, they'll look and say something stupid like " yep. You need a whole new unit, about $10k, sign here." When all it is is a capacitor. Ive learned to ask about capicitors FIRST. Often one is the culprit.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:26 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
I wouldn’t necessarily replace the contactor and capacitor every 5 years, but if you’re handy, it isn’t a crazy idea to have a spare laying around to change when it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House