Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 04:14 PM

23,285 posts, read 18,810,120 times

Advertisements

She can use the fabric curtain if she wishes. Eventually soap residue, mineral or rust deposits (if the local water is hard...the majority of water sources in the US are somewhat hard) will build up on the lower edges of the cloth curtain unless she uses a liner. It can lead to mildew eventually, but many curtains are treated to prevent it. The packaging and the label should say. She can easily soak the cloth curtain in vinegar to loosen the deposits before running the curtain through her laundry when it starts to look grimy. As said, a vinyl or plastic "liner" is usually thinner and lighter weight than a vinyl or plastic "curtain". The liner will keep the cloth curtain cleaner longer. Liners can be cleaned too. Personally I don't like tossing plastic until the hang holes have torn past use. Less garbage in some landfill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 04:24 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Yes, as others have already said and in my experience, one needs a plastic liner for a fabric shower curtain.

While I agree with all the recommendations I might be in the minority here concerning the plastic liner which may become stained and/or moldy. I wash mine in the washer by itself with a small amount of detergent and a 1/4 cup of bleach. Shake it out and toss it in the dryer for a couple of minutes and re-hang immediately, I know it seems like a lot of trouble but I can't bring myself to tossing it in the garbage. I just feel uneasy adding to the garbage if I don't have to.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:26 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Plastic liner inside the tub, fabric outside. Plastic shower curtain will work.
This^^

Old 07-15-2018, 04:28 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Thanks everyone! I let her know. I think she'll probably just use what she already has, but if she happens to go to a dollar store she might pick one up just because they're thinner. The good news is it isn't something she has to make a special trip to get. One less thing to have to worry about, as she gets ready for her trip.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:03 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Plastic curtains and liners may offgas stuff you don't want to breathe, plus they will end up in the landfill sooner or later.

You can use cloth by itself, even plain cotton, though polyester holds up better. Toss the curtain in the laundry every few weeks. I like switching off a couple different curtains, for variety.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:19 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
They do make fabric shower-curtains that function fine without a liner and they are washable.

I occasionally go to Planet Fitness, they have a 2-piece liner/curtain setup. It is so gross, the liners get old, stink and have yellowing filth on them.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:31 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I told my niece I'd ask a question on her behalf, so here goes.

She is moving to another city temporarily and has an apartment for 3 months. This will be her first time having a shower that requires a shower curtain. She came to me for advice, but like her, I've only had enclosed showers so we're both kind of clueless.

She bought a simple fabric shower curtain. It's 55% cotton, 45% polyester. Then she noticed it said she needed a liner. Before she goes back to the store to buy a liner, she was wondering if she could use a plastic shower curtain (the she had in college days) as a liner for the fabric shower curtain.

She knows she could just use the plastic curtain, but apparently she likes the fabric one better if there's a way she can use it. At the same time, she doesn't feel like buying a liner if she can avoid it.

Thoughts?
Yes that is all the liner is is a plastic shower curtain.

Of course you don't really need the fabric curtain. Take it back and get a plastic one instead and don't forget to buy hangers. You can get some really nice patterned ones. I like to change them up. The one I have right now I bought at the dollar store and got a matching wastebasket. There isn't much of a selection. You can get them anywhere.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:22 AM

494 posts, read 285,848 times
You can buy fabric shower curtains that don't need a liner. I have one and love it! So easy to clean. You just throw it into the washer and hang it back up. The material that is used is similar to the material used for umbrellas. The material is water repellent and dries quickly. They are more expensive than regular fabrics that need to have liners but, they are well worth the extra money. I paid around $20 for mine 2 years ago.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:58 AM

33 posts, read 20,650 times
Yes you need a liner! Who doesn't know this?

Old 07-16-2018, 05:59 AM

33 posts, read 20,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
They do make fabric shower-curtains that function fine without a liner and they are washable.

I occasionally go to Planet Fitness, they have a 2-piece liner/curtain setup. It is so gross, the liners get old, stink and have yellowing filth on them.
That's why you REPLACE THEM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House