Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 08:43 PM

120 posts, read 114,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Duct from where? Hood over the stove? Maybe a bathroom exhaust fan?
You know what it is from the bathroom exhaust fan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 10:35 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeropg View Post
You know what it is from the bathroom exhaust fan
Okay, so that duct has absolutely nothing to do with your question about insulation and attic fans.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:37 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,185 times
That insulation is doing more damage by preventing proper ventilation. Attics are all about airflow.

Make sure to have at least a 1.5" gap between your roof ply and any insulation to prevent moisture buildup.

I have similar picture from my home inspectors course textbook. Personally, I'd want a little more than 1.5", and actually I just do not want an attic living space at all, I'd sooner just buy a house with another bedroom or a bonus room elsewhere. But if you must do it don't be cheap and make sure to do it right.

I've seen a lot of attics, both as an electrician and as a home inspector and you most often find these things in older homes. Often it was a good way to expand the house for a growing family, but those spaces are also usually in worse condition than others in the house. Most new houses just aren't going to have them, it's better to just have good insulation and even better ventilation.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:21 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
That insulation is doing more damage by preventing proper ventilation. Attics are all about airflow.

You can't make blanket statements like that based on a few crappy pictures-
Attics are "all about" space created by the pitch of a roof. "Airflow" is "created" by the laws of fluid dynamics; or artificial/mechanical means.

Make sure to have at least a 1.5" gap between your roof ply and any insulation to prevent moisture buildup...
This would actually be a relevant "question" based on the lack of information and non-descript pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House