Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 01:17 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I guess my question would be: Would you feel the same if the agent tacked the sign on a telephone pole that was on the corner? (Assuming there was a telephone pole on the corner of your property).

Yes. It's just a trashy thing to do. Real Estate, Mattresses, Lawn Care, Avon, Mary Kaye....they are all slobs.

I have a collection of everything above, plus the damned politicians who litter my neighborhood.

I have tolerated a time or two an afternoon sign placed by a realtor for an open house. No, they never ask, but most take them home when they leave.

I wonder how many buyers leave, or how prices are affected, when a street or community is littered with real estate signs?

Just a thought.

But the arrogance of these weekend warriors. Like it was ordained that because they can't be any more creative than sticking out lawn signs in order to sell a house, it is somehow "permissioned" by fiat.

The answer is NO.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
You should research the local laws. Our city has a very elaborate sign ordinance. Realtors are allowed to place one sign only, in front of the home for sale. Those smaller directional signs or sandwich boards a block away may only be up during an open house, and they are only allowed to have two, one at each end of the block the house is on. None of them can be on a person's property even with permission or payment, they have to be on the right-of-way. In your situation I could call the city and they would confiscate the sign and fine the realtor.
Those "bootleg" signs for products or services are not allowed at all and that is strictly enforced.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:21 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Yes. It's just a trashy thing to do. Real Estate, Mattresses, Lawn Care, Avon, Mary Kaye....they are all slobs.

I have a collection of everything above, plus the damned politicians who litter my neighborhood.

I have tolerated a time or two an afternoon sign placed by a realtor for an open house. No, they never ask, but most take them home when they leave.

I wonder how many buyers leave, or how prices are affected, when a street or community is littered with real estate signs?

Just a thought.

But the arrogance of these weekend warriors. Like it was ordained that because they can't be any more creative than sticking out lawn signs in order to sell a house, it is somehow "permissioned" by fiat.

The answer is NO.
Youtube homemade flame thrower

Old 07-31-2018, 01:44 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Yes. It's not quite the same thing, but yes. Pay me if you want my property (or a pole ON my property) to facilitate the sale of your listing.

I'm going to let it slide for the first time, if I see another one yes I will be calling agent and the company they work for. They could have at least dropped a note in the mail or at the door.

LOL, my dad just stopped over for instructions on feeding our cats while we go on vacation tomorrow. Immediately I told him if he sees another one (while we're away) to take a pic and send it to me, and throw it away. I showed him the old one and he immediately wanted the metal frame for the sign, lol, he said it's good for growing tomatoes etc. Glad it went to use!

This doesn't deter me from nor make me regret buying a house on a corner lot, btw. My lot is by farrrr the best on our street and literally double the size of everyone else's. Plus there's only one neighbor I ever have to see. .
sounds like everyone is a winner

Old 07-31-2018, 01:46 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Take the Realtor's number and make up signs that say "Free Pitbull Puppies", put them all over town, voila.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:48 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Realtor put a sign out for a useless strip of land across the street. Sign is right in front of our house. The land is worthless to anyone but us and I turned down an offer to buy it for $30,000 last year. For taxes, the property is appraised at something like $5000 value. We called and they said they want $350,000 for it. I think they are just using the land to generate phone calls. By putting the sign in front of our house, they make it look like the house is for sale. I know some realtors will do anything just to get people to call them. Otherwise it makes no sense.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:32 PM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Such a flap over a temporary sign. Call the realtor and tell them you don't want them posted there. How would they know without you saying so? Get on with your life.

BTW, you may consider realtors sniveling, greedy and discourteous just because they are not trying to sell YOUR property for you. If your property is the one the neighborhood market you might feel otherwise about signs.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:42 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
Not all, my neighborhood is all grass to the sidewalk, other neighborhoods around ours have sidewalks. ours refused to install sidewalks initially and had a vote few years ago and was voted against. So we will never have sidewalks, cost a lot of money and its just ugly.

Its nice though.
Sidewalks are ugly? Sidewalks are fantastic! My neighborhood only has them on one side of the street....my side. It's great that people can walk with their families or dogs and kids can walk to the pool or bus stop without walking in the street. I counted sidewalks as a giant plus in my decision to buy my house. I wish there were more sidewalks in my area.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:47 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Call the realtor and tell them you don't want them posted there. How would they know without you saying so?
Why would a realtor assume they have permission to put their marketing sign on somebody else's property?

Old 07-31-2018, 03:22 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why would a realtor assume they have permission to put their marketing sign on somebody else's property?

Thank you, my point exactly. If the realtor asked politely I might have considered it.

I chose not to live in a condo or HOA neighborhood for many reasons. My land=my rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House