Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 07:20 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times

Advertisements

Definitely the washer/dryer. I remember not too long ago having to haul the laundry down the stairs to the laundry room at my apartment complex which was hot as hades because the management would never fix the a/c in there. So I had to either wait in the heat or go back and forth from the laundry room to my upstairs apartment. Since I'm a fanatic about taking the clothes out of the dryer the minute it stops I would set a timer and bring my hangers down with me, hang up the clothes and then usually have to make two trips back up with the laundry basket and the clothes on the hangers depending on how many loads I did. It was a PITA.

I don't like hand washing dishes but would rather do that any day than go to a laundromat ever again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 11:17 AM

216 posts, read 179,311 times
Washer and dishwasher. Dryer breaks clothes, drying rack is cheap

Old 08-05-2018, 02:34 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpo1 View Post
Washer and dishwasher. Dryer breaks clothes, drying rack is cheap
I'm with you karpo!

I can hang my laundry outside or rack dry it.
Not a fan of high electric bills .

Old 08-05-2018, 03:56 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I have a dishwasher for the first time in ten years, and it's pretty cool. We actually had to buy more dishes so we didn't have to run it half full.

But the washer and dryer are way better.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:52 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Dishwashers don't sterilize anything; neither does handwashing.
The newest generation of dishwashers certainly are capable of sterilizing dishes. They have a cycle called "sani wash". You have the option of doing a "sani wash" which takes longer than a regular wash.

Back to the OP. If I had to choose between having a dishwasher or a washer/dryer, the washer/dryer is my choice. In fact, at this point in my life, it would be a deal breaker to me to not have a w/d in my home.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:36 PM

18,717 posts, read 7,595,563 times
And the reason I can't put both in my apt is what....??

Old 08-05-2018, 10:09 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
So I'll ask:
If you had to pick between having a dishwasher -- OR -- a washer and dryer in your home or apartment (not in the building's basement, in your unit)...

....which would it be dishwasher or washer/dryer?
The last apartment I lived in, the w/d was in the basement. I lived on the 2nd floor, and had no problem going down the two flights of stairs to wash my clothes.

I would be perfectly fine if the only way I could have a dishwasher was if the w/d had to be in the basement.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:41 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
The newest generation of dishwashers certainly are capable of sterilizing dishes. They have a cycle called "sani wash". You have the option of doing a "sani wash" which takes longer than a regular wash.

Back to the OP. If I had to choose between having a dishwasher or a washer/dryer, the washer/dryer is my choice. In fact, at this point in my life, it would be a deal breaker to me to not have a w/d in my home.
All the trademarked names notwithstanding, dishwashers do not sterilize anything.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:10 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Sanitizing is not quite the same as sterilizing

Old 08-06-2018, 06:13 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,021 times
Washer and dryer, hands down! I spent way too much time in laundromats late at night, being pursued by weirdos. I once came back to the laundromat after buying groceries, only to find that someone had gone through my wet laundry & taken all my bras and underwear.

I remember another time on a busy Saturday, one woman was taking all the dryers and putting less than 6 small items in each dryer until only one was left, and she was heading for it. I was desperate, since I had piled up a lot of dirty laundry and it was almost finished washing, and I needed to get out of there to study for midterms. So, I put money in the last dryer, and threw my textbook into the dryer to save it until my washers finished. She was p*****!

When I graduated from college, my first big purchase was a used washing machine from a coworker who was getting divorced. He had a dryer, too, but I couldn’t afford it. Lucky for me, I had a clothesline and lots of sunshine. That avocado washing machine became my BFF!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House