Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 04:24 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times

Advertisements

Just moved into a new (to us) home. We downsized from a large 2 zone house.
This is a good sized townhouse, but with one zone heat a/c.

the upstairs where the bedrooms are, is much warmer than the main floor.
I have always wanted a ceiling fan in the Master Bedroom anyway and this sure seems like the right thing to do.
I have never had a ceiling fan, so just starting to look into it and wondering if you can share any good pointers of what to look for? different features? etc.

We do have a very fine electrician doing some other work who will do the install. We think we want remote and wall switch (not the pull chains).
The Bedroom is a good size approx 12 by 18 or so.

The Bed is towards the middle of the room but definitely NOT in the center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 04:54 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
I would look for a fan with a dc motor, vs ac....dc reportedly uses a fraction of the kwh of an ac motor fan. All new fans in my home are dc. I would look at the fan speed rating...the faster it spins, the cooler you will feel. I would look for the largest movement of air, measured in cfm. I would get one sized for the room, perhaps 60"+, with a dimmable LED light kit, and yes, a remote. Regardless of where the bed is situated, a single fan is installed in the center of the ceiling, if for nor other reason, aesthetics. link.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-11-2018, 08:39 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
That link reminds me of the "Clown's" administration's overreach of the EPA. Seriously! Why the Hell does the EPA need to meddle in a small appliance market?

Sounds like another "executive" reversal for "comb-over"!

Old 08-11-2018, 02:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Don’t buy cheap. Don’t buy from a big box store like Home Depot.

Get a remote.

Take your time choosing.

A light is a good bonus.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:40 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I have a few in my house. I run them on the lowest setting and it feels like a natural breeze at night.

The remote would be fabulous if you don't mind stashing them everywhere. Pulling on the chain often can cause the unit to become wobbly if it was not well installed. I just leave my on all summer.

Some of them take special light bulbs if you have a central light. Have a couple spares on hand.

Don't walk under one unless you are shorter to the ground than it is.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:14 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Get a remote.

Take your time choosing.

A light is a good bonus.
The Hampton Bay fans from Home Depot are just fine. I have some that are over a decade old that get used everyday.

Now the ones at Walmart are another story, I have had problems with those being noisy and wobbly.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:35 PM

643 posts, read 328,904 times
counter clockwise in summer

clockwise in winter

Old 08-11-2018, 04:39 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The Hampton Bay fans from Home Depot are just fine. I have some that are over a decade old that get used everyday.

Now the ones at Walmart are another story, I have had problems with those being noisy and wobbly.
I had several from Hampton Bay and they were fine. They came with the dimmer lights and had switches on the wall along with a remote option.

I agree you should absolutely get a remote or at least the switch on the wall, preferably both in case something happens to the remote. The chain only is awful.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:59 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Read online reviews. Don't get a fan that has a lot of complaints about wobbling and/or noise. It will drive you nuts in a bedroom to have a wobbly, noisy ceiling fan.

We have all Hunter cast iron ceiling fans (Hunter Original) in our house, and they are all over 20 years old. Super quiet and move lots of air. I'm sure there are other great fans out there, but know that you "get what you pay for". A cheap fan will work like a cheap fan.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:05 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Get a remote.

Take your time choosing.

A light is a good bonus.
Check reviews, buy one with a heavier duty motor and sturdier mounting. Cheapos tend to be noisy and harder to balance. Bad balance means vibrations, wobbling, and noise. You don't want to listen to one all the hours it will be running. If you can go see them in operation locally, do it. Get one that reverses and uses a wall switch even if it doesn't have a remote. Many fans are ornately decorated. All that ornate gathers a lot of dust. I have used Minka Aire fans for decades. Not the most expensive but not the cheapest either. The ones I've had were all great; extremely quiet. Be careful to get the right mount or fan clearance for your ceiling if it's sloped. Get the right size fan for the room. One that's too big is almost as bad as one that's too small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House