Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What washer, dryer and refrigerator brand is the most reliable? - multiple choice allowed since diff
Whirlpool - is the most reliable 17 36.17%
Maytag - is the most reliable 6 12.77%
Speed Queen - is the most reliable 9 19.15%
LG - is the most reliable 4 8.51%
Samsung - is the most reliable 2 4.26%
Kenmore - is the most reliable 10 21.28%
Other - is the most reliable - I will put my answer and reason in the comment section 11 23.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 10:18 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,508 times

Advertisements

LG and Samsung is great until you need to get it repaired, then you can not find anyone to do it and the manufacturer's repair folks just never show up.

I have a 3 year old refrigerator from LG in my kitchen now and the frig does not stay cold. I am sitting with it empty now as I wait for someone to be able to take it to the dump tomorrow. No parts available to repair it.

I got rid of 2 Samsung washers in less than a year because of no part to repair them.

Never again with those two brands!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 10:46 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I've had the best luck with Whirlpool/Kenmore appliances.

Your poll left out GE, Amana, Kitchen Aid, and a few others.

Ill ask a mod if I can add these. Maybe Elnina could help. While I knew I couldnt add every single brand out there, I wanted to hit all the major brands.

My list was based on what my local repair shops where reporting and I called 5 of them.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:56 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,333 times
My Maytag washer is going strong for 18+ years now.

Amana, GE, and Kenmore not impressed with.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:02 AM

723 posts, read 570,969 times
RUN, do not walk, away from Samsung clothes washers and dryers!

My five-yo Samsung washer exploded when the spider bracket holding the drum shattered during a high-speed spin cycle. Had a Samsung dryer not been stacked on top of the washer at the time, I believe the washer would have crashed right through my wall. The part in question had entirely corroded. Samsung tried to blame it on our water softener, but that was ridiculous. Water softeners are supposed to extend the life of your appliances, not shorten it. The spider bracket issue was a known problem that Samsung denied. Google "Samsung spider bracket failure" and read all about it.

I had to replace a belt on the Samsung dryer when it was three years old, and just last month the heating element went out. The dryer is about 9 years old at this point and gets only light to moderate use (two-person household).

I am young enough to remember major appliances lasting 20-30 years with only normal maintenance. Nowadays, it seems it doesn't matter how much you spend - washers and dryers have a life expectancy of 9-10 years max according to the repair guy who just visited.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:32 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
I feel your pain as I tried researching when we were replacing some appliances in our last house ( I did have re-sale on the brain as I knew that was coming but I did try to get quality at a good price). I think the main issue is that appliances that people have had in their homes for 10 plus years are NOT the built the same way now.
So I did opt for a Whirlpool Front loader (A very good one but not top of the line , at a good sale at Lowe;s. ) It washed beautifully, but I have to say it would frequently do the non respond Error Message. I would shut it off and start again and it worked fine. (but who needs that??).
For the dishwasher I went for the CR highly rated but towards the bottom of the brand Bosch (Also on a great sale at Lowe's.). I really didnt think it was so superb but I know the perception is that Bosch is really fine and I thought that would work well with selling my home. I think it did.
For the range I did go with Samsung (Also a highly rated one from CR) and it was fine, but I think in my new home when I go to replace the 25 year old GE stove I will likely consider Maytag.There is definitely no one brand that is superior.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Appliance design changes over a period of years, and there are differences between models within a brand as well. What you are seeking might not be avaiable because if the many variables involved with constantly changing features.

I always had good luck with Maytag washers, but when I bought a HE washer about 8 years ago, it only lasted 7 years, and it really was not a satisfactory machine. It had been highly rated by CR at the time. Last year we bought LG. I do not know how it will last. Honestly, it is a crap shoot. But the LG is obviously a better machine.

I have had good luck with Amana fridges. But I’ve never bought a fridge with bells and whistles like water dispensers. And surely the model designs have changed since my present one was sold.

I do know that I want a Bosch dishwasher though.

I bought a Bosch induction cooktop that I like very well. But I’ve only had it for 5 or so years.

My strategy about buying appliances is to buy from a reputable manufacturer, and buy better than the cheapest, but not at the top of the line. If you are worried about repair bills, buy an extended warrantee.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:28 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
This is the homeowner's version of the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge/Ram debate. You will never achieve anything close to a consensus.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:37 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
An appliance repairman also recommended Speed Queen for washer and dryer. He said they are the only home appliance that is built to commercial standards. If only I had listened.

As far as kitchen appliances. I think it’s a crapshoot. I have both GE cooktop, Bosch DW, and a Samsung fridge. None of them has had any repairs since I bought them. I do, however hate my Maytag washer and dryer. The dryer takes forever. They have not needed repairs though.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:08 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I suspect that they are all made with the same crappy Chinese components ( except possibly the German brands, but I don't know about them)

Here'she problem. By the time I have had an appliance long enough to decide it is reliable, you can no longer buy the same machine.

I've got a fabulous refrigerator that is 40 plus years old. Best fridge I've ever owned. Sorry, but you can't buy one like it. It's made of heavy gauge sheet metal, weighs a ton, and it runs on real freon gas. So, it means nothing for me to tell you that brand is reliable. That's not going to help you at all.

I put a maytag dishwasher into a rental in 1998. It's still working, still looks great. So my son bought a high end maytag dishwasher for his own house, and the shelves break and the water jets in the arms get clogged. He takes better care of things than my tenants ever have. So, I could tell you maytag is great, based on my 1998 dishwasher, but it appears that's not what you get if you buy one today.

I've got a GE Profile dishwasher that does a great job and is silent when it runs. It really gets dishes clean, but...... the little wheels on the pull out rack break constantly. I keep a bag of spare wheels in a kitchen drawer. The digital controls are quirky. I can work around it by paying close attention, but it would be better if they just worked without close supervision. ( it changes settings and sometimes turns off the start button as the door is closed, which is a problem since the machine is virtually silent, so if it doesn't start, I don't notice it).

Old 08-16-2018, 04:16 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaf View Post
My Maytag washer is going strong for 18+ years now.

Amana, GE, and Kenmore not impressed with.

amen to that my maytag washer and dryer are going on ten years and I bought them used .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House