Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:09 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
If you're worried about chemicals try baking soda, vinegar and salt.
These will not work on rust stains. Neither will hydrogen peroxide.

Rust is a tight molecular bond (iron oxide) that takes a fairly strong acid to break the molecular bonds to free up the iron and oxygen atoms. CLR, Whink, and Iron Out all have sulfuric acid in them and that is why they can ruin the chrome and aluminum fixtures. Citric acid in strong enough concentration will work (it is essentially lemon juice) and is easier on plumbing. I don't know if a very strong acetic acid (i.e., vinegar) would work or not, but the concentration in grocery stores is not enough to make any difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 8,118 times
Default Rust Stains in the Bathroom

I too have well water and after just a few days start to see the orange tint appear again.

Best for toilets: Iron Out (super strength) flush toilet, shake it all around the bowl let it sit and "stew" for a bit...if you have an old bowl brush use it to swirl the water and up under the rim.
Now flush and VOILA! looks brand new again.
This stuff is wicked though don't walk away too long and leave your lid down and don't breathe in directly, try to do this when nobody else is around.
For the shower: hands down, Bar Keepers Friend followed up with a
good dose of Clorox Clean-Up does the trick!
I haven't found any sort of magic spray..
btw...
Weimans is the best stainless steel appliance polish...works great and smells awesome!
Hey, I don't want to be on my deathbed, reflecting on life and think gee, wish I had cleaned more!

Old 07-26-2008, 05:18 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,360 times
For inside of toilets.....pumice stone....will not scratch, and is non-toxic!

Old 08-25-2008, 06:34 AM

103 posts, read 620,635 times
What a great thread. We just moved to Maine and are having a terrible problem with this rust staining. Our light clothes are getting blotches of rust marks all over them and of course it is the clothing that we like the best that this is happening to. Our shower curtain liner, tub, toilets, and sinks are terrible and we put the rust remover salt into the softener and that did absolutely nothing to help!

We will try some of these ideas and see what works. I hate this rust with a passion!

Old 08-25-2008, 06:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Rust problems are created by slightly acidic (low PH) water dissolving the iron from the rock. In this form the iron is soluble and the water is clear. There is an energy difference between the soluble iron oxide and the insoluble form. Some bacteria (ain't life wonderful. stuff lives anywhere) use this energy to make a living and release hydrogen sulfide small as part of their metabolism. The bacterial conversion of Ferric oxide to Ferrous oxide along with exposure to the oxygen in the atmosphere creates the iron stain rust. The bacteria can be killed by chlorinating the well with chlorine bleach and the insoluble rust removed by filtering the water after converting the soluble iron into the insoluble form by oxidizing the water. These procedures should stop both the rotten egg smell and the rust stains. Start by sending a sample of your tap water to a water testing lab and asking for recommendations for treatment.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:29 AM

69 posts, read 1,128,984 times
"The Works" ($.98 at Walmart) is a great toilet bowl cleaner. It did amazing things on our horrid toilets when we moved in.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:21 AM

398 posts, read 818,857 times
Have the same problem with high iron content in the well water. Pumice stone works extremely well. Iron out in the toilet tank will help, but do not use too often if you have a septic system.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 15,504 times
Tesaje what is citric acid and where do I get it? I ruined a whole load of laundry using IRON OUT in my colored and havn't found ANYTHING that says u can use it in the colors to get iron out so I would like to try the citric acid to see if that will help with my colors. Thanks for the help

Old 12-01-2008, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 15,504 times
Default what is citric acid

And where do I get it to use in my laundry?

Old 12-02-2008, 08:55 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musthp289 View Post
Tesaje what is citric acid and where do I get it? I ruined a whole load of laundry using IRON OUT in my colored and haven't found ANYTHING that says u can use it in the colors to get iron out so I would like to try the citric acid to see if that will help with my colors. Thanks for the help
I found something called Lemon Shine made for dishwashers that was citric acid. Then I couldn't find it again. It is sometimes called sour salt and is sold for making pickles or other canning applications in some places. These basics are getting harder to find. I ended up ordering it on the internet. google it for more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House