Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:46 PM

267 posts, read 1,831,262 times

Advertisements

Our house has well water so the water we use in our bathroom makes lovely orange rust stains around the toilet and in the tub but not so bad in the sink. We've always had city water before we moved so this has never been a problem for us.

Are there any good products to get rid of them or lighten them up? I've used ajax and scrubbing bubbles but that doesn't seem to help much. I've tried looking for products at the grocery store and walmart but didn't find any (unles, I overlooked them). Maybe Home Depot or Lowes sells something good?

Please help me out. Our bathroom looks grody!!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 04:49 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,723,383 times
CLR works wonders!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:53 PM

267 posts, read 1,831,262 times
I'll have to try that. I see the commercial all the time and didn't even think to look for it when I'm at the store. Duh!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:55 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,657,319 times
I agree, CLR work really well. We used to have well water in 2 different houses. We didn't have a water softener in the first house, and had rust stains everywhere. Our second house with well water did have a softener, and it made all the difference. It made rust stains almost non-existent.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:09 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,658,543 times
CLR and Iron Out are two good products. I moved on to straight muriatic acid to clean the pipes internally. That's not something for the casual user though.

Iron Out is also good for removing rust stains from carpet. The metal ring on the bottom of the furniture would leave marks when the kids spilled something, and didn't get it completely dried.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:36 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,226,871 times
Whink works really well but is expensive. CLR works very well. Iron out is pretty good. Citric acid works very well. Barkeeper's Friend also works well on iron stains. Be careful on the faucets - a lot of these are a strong acid and will corrode and stain the metal. Surprisingly, the automatic shower cleaner scrubbing bubbles sells works pretty well (citric acid based).

I've found citric acid is the safest of these and I can add it to my laundry to de-rust clothing without affecting the colors. I've wondered if the increasing red in my hair isn't some iron staining?

Whether a softener works for the iron stains depends on how much iron is in the water. Mine is too much for the softener to get it all out. I use Iron Out in the softener to help the resin bed clean out. There are other water treatments but they get increasingly expensive.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:27 PM

49,970 posts, read 63,277,013 times
There are tablets I put in the toilet tank which are made for rust, which last a month or two. You do not want the ones that contain chlorine, nor any cleaners with chlorine in them. As others have said CLR or any product made to remove rust works great.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:54 PM

233 posts, read 1,223,040 times
Tesaje, I hope your increasing red is not due to rust....lol. That was quite and interesting take on it though. You had me laughing. Sorry.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:54 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,022,249 times
Do you have a septic system ¿ If you do, be careful what chemicals you use..... Try hydrogen peroxide.....

Old 04-02-2008, 05:26 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,723,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
I agree, CLR work really well. We used to have well water in 2 different houses. We didn't have a water softener in the first house, and had rust stains everywhere. Our second house with well water did have a softener, and it made all the difference. It made rust stains almost non-existent.
Not all wells have high iron content. I knew some friends with a house back in college that would turn white clothes rust-colored from iron in the water. OTOH, our house, on a well, has no rust staining and we have no water softener. We do have sediment though - the only thing I don't like about my tasty well water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House