Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 02:18 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,342 times

Advertisements

We have a nice big covered front porch that sits up kind of high from the street- so we always sit out there on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 07:54 PM

61 posts, read 73,403 times
Default Porch with a sofa

I have a comfy outdoor sofa on my front porch, a porch I enlarged when we bought the house. In New England porches are common although people seldom use them. On my street no one else does. But they walk their kids and dogs and you exchange pleasantries with them as they pass by. That's how I grew up-only the conversations were way too long and obligatory. I now live in a small college town and I bought my house in large part because of the view from the front. It's a comfy peaceful porch where I nap like I did as a child but the adults don't walk by and talk to you for hours. People are cordial, and there for you if needed, but never overstep and overstay their welcome.

Guests love it. Lots of comfy cushioned furniture makes it like an outdoor family room. We have cocktails and and hors d'oeuvres at night, watching the sun set over the mountains, or bagels & mimosas for brunch and everyone comments on the "novelty" of sitting on a front porch.

Most of America has drifted to back yard decks and fences. Not really conducive to knowing your neighbors.
Strangely, I am a very private, and not terribly social person, but I like having a slightly more than passing acquaintance with my neighbors and, to me, nothing facilitates that more naturally than a front porch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Most people in our neighborhood have front porches. I am on mine several times a day.

For me there is nothing better than having a cup of coffee and listening to the birds in the morning or watching a thunderstorm off in the distance. I can hear the children ride by and play and say hello to my neighbors as they are taking their morning or nightly stroll.

I used to have lounge chairs out there and would even take an afternoon nap. However I replaced those a couple years ago with rocking chairs and absolutely HATE the rocking chairs so I will put the lounge chairs back as soon as I can get someone to make me new pad covers since the neighbors cat tore mine all up. I even enjoy just sitting on the brick porch stairs and would have our dogs lay out there right next to me.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:38 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Tennessee.

Porches - yes. Few people.

Too hot and humid and the mosquitoes will eat you alive. Too cold in the winter. If I had a screened in porch, I'd sit out there.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:58 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Tennessee.

Porches - yes. Few people.

Too hot and humid and the mosquitoes will eat you alive. Too cold in the winter. If I had a screened in porch, I'd sit out there.
A porch in the southeast is doable if it's screened in. And has a ceiling fan. And you don't move a muscle. And have a cold drink.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:18 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
A porch in the southeast is doable if it's screened in. And has a ceiling fan. And you don't move a muscle. And have a cold drink.
Just glass in the darn thing so you can "chill" in the cool air!

That's exactly what my grandparents did when they quit smoking and no longer needed the screened-in porch to be an "outside" area.

FYI they are Yankees so this may attribute to the dislike for humidity.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:51 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post

That's exactly what my grandparents did when they quit smoking and no longer needed the screened-in porch to be an "outside" area.

FYI they are Yankees so this may attribute to the dislike for humidity.
The "all-season" or so-called "Florida" room (with large screened storm windows) is also a thing. I like it!

Old 08-29-2018, 12:42 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
I'm a big fan of full-length front porches. It increases your relaxation space, and porches foster community-building by getting to know your neighbors when they walk by and stop to chat.
For my money, front porches are preferable to back decks, where the homeowner disappears and you never see or get to know the household. Sad.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:53 PM

8,760 posts, read 5,055,756 times
We have both a front porch, and a back deck.....only things we like about our house. We always have the choice to sit in the sun, or shade. Watch the cars go by, or the wildlife out back.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:50 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post

Nah. Once you glass it in, it's just not the same. With a screened porch, I still feel comfortable waving and even occasionally talking to neighbors who walk by.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:51 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Ohhh YEAH!!! Love love love having the fan! And the cold drink. And maybe a screen (although I don't have one now. But I can see having one.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House