Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 12:02 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times

Advertisements

We have a couch, a few chairs, and a bookshelf on our enclosed front porch. The couch is because it didn't make the turn through our front door so that's as far as it ever made it . I sit out there and read when the weather is comfortable. Our cat LOVES the enclosed front porch. The dog lays out there sometimes too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 10:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I'm a big fan of full-length front porches. It increases your relaxation space, and porches foster community-building by getting to know your neighbors when they walk by and stop to chat.
For my money, front porches are preferable to back decks, where the homeowner disappears and you never see or get to know the household. Sad.
I could sit all day on my front porch, and I doubt I’d have any one to chat with. Walkers would probably say”hi” and keep moving.

When we have talked to neighbors is when we’ve been working outside. Sometines a neighbor will come over and talk.

I like sitting on my back porch because of all the planting I have done in the last 6 years. It is very pleasant and private. And it is mere steps from my living area or kitchen to the back door.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:24 AM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I could sit all day on my front porch, and I doubt I’d have any one to chat with. Walkers would probably say ”hi” and keep moving.

When we have talked to neighbors is when we’ve been working outside. Sometimes a neighbor will come over and talk.

I like sitting on my back porch because of all the planting I have done in the last 6 years. It is very pleasant and private. And it is mere steps from my living area or kitchen to the back door.
I think this is the more common occurrence than what a lot of you have postulated. People walk by (or jog, God we have a lot of ambitious people) and will wave but not stop. In my/our case is that our front porch is very hard to see into, as I described earlier, so people will go by and not realize we're even out on it.

Now, working in the yard or washing a vehicle is a whole different matter. I can't count the number of times a 45 minutes car wash has turned into 2 hours because of people stopping and talking. My one next door neighbor is especially guilty. He always starts the conversation with, "When you're done you can wash mine". No Al, I can't.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:35 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Bingo. Where I live it’s typically considered trashy if someone sits on the front porch a lot. The ones you see on the front porch aren’t the ones with the nicer furniture, they usually have old plastic chairs or something. What’s even trashier is the ones who barbecue in the front yard.
Interesting.

It was considered normal to sit on the front porch where I grew up and it was very common to see cook outs in the front yard.

Maybe a regional thing?

Old 09-02-2018, 10:50 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
We had a porch swing in our NY village on the front porch. People said “hi” as they walked by or waved while driving by. I liked to read books and just listen to the neighborhood sounds out there and swing back and forth. There was little car or foot traffic. We used the grill and relaxed out of sight in the backyard, two different activities.

In FL there is no front porch, but old habits die hard. We recently had a pool put in and when landscaping the yard, we put a flagstone area with a bench in front of our live oak in the front yard. I sit there when the grandkids are using a horse-shaped tire swing on the tree or to rest when doing yard work. People wave or say “hi” walking by. More are driving by than walking in the summer heat here. I relax out of sight in the lanai by the pool in the backyard, stretched out on the couch reading. I can be social or not, I have a choice now.

I loved my old house and love this house, but I’ve always loved being outside more than inside. Porches, patios and lanais are the best part of any house for me.

top two NY, bottom FL
Attachment 201897

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-13-2020 at 07:06 AM..

Old 09-03-2018, 07:50 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Bingo. Where I live it’s typically considered trashy if someone sits on the front porch a lot. The ones you see on the front porch aren’t the ones with the nicer furniture, they usually have old plastic chairs or something. What’s even trashier is the ones who barbecue in the front yard.
How about sitting in an inflatable swimming pool in the front yard?

Old 09-03-2018, 07:55 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
A few pieces of decorative furniture on our front porch that matches the trim on our house. Comfortable furniture is on the back deck, where we all hang out.

We enjoy sitting on the back deck because our backyard is fenced in and our dogs can hang out with us. We also built a large cat enclosure in the back so our cats can safely enjoy being outside.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:14 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
How about sitting in an inflatable swimming pool in the front yard?

On a hot day like today, that sounds appealing!

It's interesting how developers still design houses with front porches (even though sometimes they're optical illusions and are barely wide enough to fit a chair). I think it must appeal to something primal in buyers. We have a desire to BELIEVE we might someday sit out there, even if we never do.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:19 AM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
On a hot day like today, that sounds appealing!

It's interesting how developers still design houses with front porches (even though sometimes they're optical illusions and are barely wide enough to fit a chair). I think it must appeal to something primal in buyers. We have a desire to BELIEVE we might someday sit out there, even if we never do.
Certain architectural styles almost demand a front porch.

We looked at a craftsman style 4 square a number of years ago that had something "missing". Plain front with door, concrete landing with a couple steps and a little roof over the door. Same with a door on the side.

Someone else bought it and installed the "missing" element. That element was a wraparound porch.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:04 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
You nailed it right there. It's meant to appeal to America's collective nostalgia for our Norman Rockwell-esque past. Which is when people of all classes actually sat out on porches. What gets overlooked is that they did it out of need, rather than out of friendliness/recreation. Home air-conditioning didn't exist back then, and some semblance of an outdoor wind was better than the stuffy house.

It's interesting that porches are common mainly in climates with humid summers, where wind provides a cooling effect. I rarely see porches in arid regions (Arizona, Utah, etc.), where wind makes the summer heat feel worse. Which nullifies the necessity of sitting there in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House