U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 02:13 AM

2 posts, read 11,898 times

Advertisements

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']I'm interested in replacing my water heater with a Bosch [/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']AquaStar. It would serve a home with 2 baths, and an in-law unit with [/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']bath and kitchen. [/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']I have found these two models at tanklesswaterheatersdirect.com and wanted to know if anyone had any experiences with either one?[/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']The smaller model ($500) says it provides hot water for "one major [/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']application" at a time. The larger model (close to $1000) provides for [/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']two and a half.[/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']I'd welcome hearing opinions about this heater and about sizing.[/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Thanks![/font]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 04:10 AM

93 posts, read 272,230 times
I have two of these in my home right now. One serves the kitchen, laundry room and a bathroom, and the other serves just the master bath.

The one that serves multi outlets takes a while to for the hot water to reach the bathroom, which is furthest away from the water heater. And I do mean a while, it makes me feel guilty to have water running all that time for nothing, so we go out of our way not to use that bathroom.

Also on the multi outlet one, lets say you're taking a shower and someone turns something on in the kitchen, you are going to jump through the ceiling when the cold water hits you, trust me. I still have scars on the top of my head.

Contrarily, the one that serves only the master bath is great; water heats up fairly quickly, though still not as fast as a conventional water heater, and you have an unlimited supply of hot water. At least, I've never run out.

The initial investment in these can be on the steep side, that's another factor to consider.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:33 AM

41,507 posts, read 48,310,232 times
I would install one of these for each bathroom and a separate one for the kitchen and laundry. Instead of the “instant” heat units if I were setting up a new system I would put a 45 gallon conventional heater near the shower with a 25 gallon heater in the half bath and the kitchen. I would also wrap extra insulation around the heaters.

I think it is more efficient to distribute the gas or electricity than to have to waste water and heat with long pipe runs.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:08 AM

18 posts, read 103,788 times
I highly suggest you look into "Sets Systems" SETS Systems Inc. - America's Best Energy Saving Tankless Water Heaters NFI
I did lots of research on these and this one was placed in a "This Old House" home. I even called and talked to the owner of the company and he was very helpful They interviewed a family that had one of these tanks and the father said you could have 2 people in the shower and running the dishwasher and washer all at the same time and would have enough hot water for everything. That was enough for me to want one.

You can print off all kinds of info on their web site. I don't think I would buy anything that required you to have a heater for each room with water in it!!!

Old 04-05-2008, 04:24 AM

272 posts, read 833,172 times
I have Bosch Electric,The ony thing, If you need a part, they can be hard to find, I think Home Depo carries Bosch, put they have no parts in the store for these units, I got mine on the net, and so fare it works good,I whent with the electric becuse I have no gas line were I live.I had to put in a 200amp panel to handel the load.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:11 AM

14,062 posts, read 19,670,776 times
Ok so say I purchase a unit at Lowes/HD, who would install it? Do they have people to do that or do I have to call a separate contractor?? Thanks

Old 04-05-2008, 09:25 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 10,380,046 times
Lowes/HD will be happy to take you money and hire an installer for you. Or you could just hire one yourself. You will be paying a markup that goes to the corporate office, and the local guy who does the install will get a small percentage of what you pay. My personal opinion is to find a someone yourself. Keep your money local, and it will probably cost less.

If you go electric, you will need an electrician and a plumber. The electric ones draw a lot of power, so like TransAm mentioned, you may need to upgrade your service to 200 amp (if you aren't at 200 amo already). Plus a dedicated circuit will need to be run. I don't recall off hand how much power they draw, but I know my husband (an electrician) took one look at the power requirements and said we will stick to our oil fired H20 heater tanks.

If you go gas, a plumber should be able to do it all, as they run gas lines, too.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:52 AM

12,084 posts, read 32,504,757 times
The big whole house units that are electric, draw between 90 and 120 AMPS when used usually. That can add up in a hurry if you have high electric rates.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:16 PM

272 posts, read 833,172 times
Ok the electric one I have has three heaters,the unit requires 3, 40 amp breakers,I did all the worke myself, except the 200 amp box, I had a friend who is a electrician, and put it in for cost.Just a note, I have not seen any drop on my electric bill at all,but I didnt buy for that, the tank water heaters, workmanship seemed to be getting worse every time I had to replace it.so I try the tankless one, so far so good.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:39 PM

3,517 posts, read 11,623,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Lowes/HD will be happy to take you money and hire an installer for you. Or you could just hire one yourself.

If you go gas, a plumber should be able to do it all, as they run gas lines, too.
Very true on the big box stores.

At least where I live, plumbers are no longer allowed to do gas and vice versa unless they are licensed in both. Made a gas option for a new water heater too expensive to consider. So back to a high efficiency electric, which the plumbers could connect up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House