Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2018, 01:15 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times

Advertisements

I have wasps in the summer and caught them going in and out of the soffit. We did check inside in the attic and found no sign of any. I read on another thread they're supposed to die off in the cold. So my question is, can I get a pest control company to come in winter and remove hives that I think are inside the soffits? And is there anything they can do off season, to prevent them making themselves at home again come spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 04:39 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I don’t see why a pest co. wouldn’t come out.

There isn’t anything you can do except keep a eye out and if you see a nest forming spray with wasp spray to kill it.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:52 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,002 times
I'm not sure about all types, but many types of wasps don't reuse their nests the next spring. When queens come out of hibernation they build new nests. You could safely remove the nests yourself or just leave them in place. They aren't likely to cause any harm either way. I think you'd be wasting your money to call pest control out for this in the winter.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:05 AM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I have wasps in the summer and caught them going in and out of the soffit. We did check inside in the attic and found no sign of any. I read on another thread they're supposed to die off in the cold. So my question is, can I get a pest control company to come in winter and remove hives that I think are inside the soffits? And is there anything they can do off season, to prevent them making themselves at home again come spring?

I think if you want the wasps removed, you should do that while they're still active. You can either spray them at the opening to kill them, or a venom collection guy can come and will vacuum them out and collect them. They make antivenom out of them. See if there are such people in your area who do that.

But I don't think either will work when they're not active. You'd have to take the house apart and physically remove the nest.... doing a lot of damage.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:26 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Thanks for the answers. It's just that they seem to like it here and I have the spray, but have tangled with them in the past, in the dark, and I'd rather not have to do it every year. Especially if I spray on one side and they just move to the other.

So is there anything I can do to make it less attractive to wasps here? Is there something in particular that might be attracting them? They're the black ones.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:31 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
We had an invasion of wasps as the weather turned cooler. I was stung thru 3 layers of clothing. Those suckers hurt. I had put my pest control contract on hold due to my son moving back in with me temporarily and moved a mess in with him. Couldn't get them back out fast enough. At one point I had two wasps trapped in the main level bath and one in the lower level bath, with half a dozen spread between the first two levels. The 3rd level with the bedrooms has been apparently wasp-free. We could not fiigure out how and where they were getting in.

So, pest guy comes and figures it out - they are nesting in our chimneys. I have two fireplaces and he said judging by the number of dead wasps, I had a few nests. Time for a chimney sweep and a cap on the fireplace. I don't use the fireplaces, so I am hoping he can find a reversable way to seal it off.

Any idea should I ask for? I dont want to be sold some super hardware. Simple and reversable. Maybe just a piece of sheet metal?

Old 11-08-2018, 07:55 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
I had wasps building a nest on the inside of my shed doors every year.

I got rid of them using paper bags......hung them above the door on the inside and they have never come back and it's been about three years.

I hung the bags in late winter/early spring before it was time for them to build a new nest, worked like a charm!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/504825439461039706/

There is one pic of a bag hung under the eaves of a house.

I used three small brown lunch bags hung across the doorway.

A few bags, scrap paper to poof them out, some twine and thumbtacks......all things I already had so it only cost me pennies.

They even have fake nests for sale on Amazon......here is the cheapest one, more weather resistant than paper bags for outside use.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornets-Yello...ake+wasp+nests

Lots of literature and YouTubes about using fake nests too.

Last edited by Annie53; 11-08-2018 at 08:14 PM..

Old 11-08-2018, 07:56 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
As a temporary fix, you could take a trash bag, stuff it partway with newspaper, and then push it into the flu above the fireplace. The friction would hold it in place. A cap on the top has to hold up to wind pressure and rain as well as having a good seal. There are plenty of options, but a bit of metal flashing cut to size, screwed in, and sealed with metallic tape would be my choice on a triple wall or metalbestos chimney. With a tile liner, I'd probably make a weighted plug with a lip that rested on the top edge. The lip would need something like weatherstripping or some such to make a seal against insects that wouldn't damage the clay.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Last year I had a serious problem with yellow jackets on my balcony and the awnings over my apartment windows next to the balcony. Management had a pest control guy come out and spray their nests and the awnings, and I had zero problems with them this year.

I can only guess that there was a residual smell from the pesticides or dead yellow jackets from the previous year.

And it's not because there weren't any yellow jackets around this year. They just weren't a problem at my house for whatever reason - I'll have to guess it was because of the pest treatment.

So, yes, if they're a problem, I also suggest hiring a pro. I really didn't want to use bait traps, because those encourage them to come and I didn't want to deal with even more of them coming because of the bait.

I have a dog that uses the balcony, and she never got sick from any of the pesticides they used on the nests inside the awnings over the windows and balcony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House