Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 04:59 AM

105,766 posts, read 107,756,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I'm so glad you mentioned this. We're currently re-doing the siding and that includes the soffits under the porch roof. The former owners added the porch in 2009 and they used bathroom-type can lights in the soffits (the ones that have a frosted plastic central disc to diffuse the light) and just screwed a CFL bulb into them. The trim ring/face has yellowed over the past nine years and would look awful with the nice new soffit material, so I've been shopping for replacement rings (not easy to find, as the big box stores have switched to the LED retrofits and don't carry trim rings anymore.) My plan was to put a 100-watt LED bulb into these and so I bought four Cree bulbs today.

I just checked the package and they are not "enclosed fixture rated." So they'll have to go back. I just checked online and the only 100-watt enclosed fixture rated LED is made by Westinghouse. The highest Cree makes it 75W and I doubt that will be enough. Westinghouse bulbs aren't rated all that well though.

Also discovered that some bulbs are rated for enclosed fixtures but NOT for "enclosed recessed fixtures" ... which is what I have. Grrrrrr.....
Yep ,not many are aware of the differences . Nor do they realize heat is a big issue . While they don’t get as hot as incandescent lamps the bases radiate a lot of heat . The difference between quality lamps and cheapies are the heat sinks in the base
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 01:42 AM

15,546 posts, read 11,923,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I'm a big fan of energy efficiency so I've always kept up with the times regarding light bulbs. I still a bunch of CFLs that haven't burned out even though they've been installed for 7+ years, but once those go I'll replace them with LED.
When I moved to North Carolina in 2008, Duke energy sent us a box full of CFL bulbs for free. 10 years and 4 moves later about half of our bulbs are still those CFL bulbs. We've been slowly replacing them with LED lights as they go, and haven't had any problems with those either. I'm happy with the 8-10+ years we've gotten with those free CFL bulbs.

Our lamps and bathroom lights are all LED lights, we switched out the enclosed lights with the CFLs as they've gone out, since it doesn't matter as much what those bulbs look like. Our outside lights are also still the CFLs since they're mostly hidden.

I actually like the cool LED bulbs for the bathroom as I prefer the white lights to the yellow for putting on makeup. The rest of the house is the warm colored bulbs as the white is too stark for every room since our walls are a light color.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:21 PM

400 posts, read 567,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
The former owners added the porch in 2009 and they used bathroom-type can lights in the soffits (the ones that have a frosted plastic central disc to diffuse the light) and just screwed a CFL bulb into them. The trim ring/face has yellowed over the past nine years and would look awful with the nice new soffit material, so I've been shopping for replacement rings .....
Not to get too off topic, but I ended up swapping from rings to the glass cover light diffuser covers. The reason was that because wasps LOVED to build nests in the can lights in my eaves. That stopped them. Something to watch for. I know I reached into one to replace a light one night and ended up wasps crawling all over my arm. I have no idea why I wasn't stung.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:38 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,671,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
LED color temp?
well, i don't know.
i didn't buy them or install them.
the church trustees paid the bill
and the company who sold them put them in.

bottom line: LED's are the future, i guess.
about the same time people get to Mars.
So your church and/or the (likely congregation-member-owned) contractor put in the wrong color temperature bulbs, through ignorance or inappropriate cost-shaving, no one liked the result, and thus LEDs are a technology nobody wants.

Gotcha.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:33 PM

most of the big lighting projects i have done prior to retiring were all 5000k .

Old 10-08-2018, 05:35 PM

17,672 posts, read 29,575,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most of the big lighting projects i have done prior to retiring were all 5000k .
Is too harsh a color, except for prisons.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:37 PM

not at all if they are sized correctly with the correct fixtures . overwhelmingly it is the customers most selected choice . harshness is caused by any led in an improper fixture or lumen output . .

in fact 5000k is one of the least harshest . most jobs judged as poor light , were because of design errors in the layout .

in residential , most existing fixtures that people put led's in were not designed for the point source of light that led's emit and they can glare .

------------------------------------------------------------------

5000K = NATURAL WHITE
As seen on the graph, 5000 kelvin is a nice white but has a slight tint of yellow. People who choose this color are usually trying to get a more natural white light that appears less harsh to the eye.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.vleds.com/led-color-temperature-differences

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-08-2018 at 05:52 PM..

Old 10-08-2018, 07:12 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,588,103 times
About a year or two ago, I replaced two outside porch fixtures with LED ones with built-in photosensors that turn the lights on at dark and off in morning when it gets light again. About a week ago one of them stopped functioning. The LED is built-in and I cannot simply change the bulb. I have to replace the whole fixture and if I can't find the same one, I'll have to replace the other one too so they match. More and more light fixtures are being made this way and I'm not too excited about that given this experience.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:44 PM

14,277 posts, read 6,877,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not at all if they are sized correctly with the correct fixtures . overwhelmingly it is the customers most selected choice . harshness is caused by any led in an improper fixture or lumen output . .

in fact 5000k is one of the least harshest . most jobs judged as poor light , were because of design errors in the layout .

in residential , most existing fixtures that people put led's in were not designed for the point source of light that led's emit and they can glare .

------------------------------------------------------------------

5000K = NATURAL WHITE
As seen on the graph, 5000 kelvin is a nice white but has a slight tint of yellow. People who choose this color are usually trying to get a more natural white light that appears less harsh to the eye.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Color Differences of LED Lighting - 2.7K, 3K, 4.3K, 5K, 6K

most existing fixtures that people put led's in were not designed for the point source of light that led's emit and they can glare .

What does that mean? The floods in the can lights in the ceiling glare (2700K/900 lumens). The ones in lamps don't glare only because they filter through a lamp shade. I have bought only the "warm" rated bulbs.

I have had 2 outdoor flood lights go bad and 2 flood lights in the ceiling can lights go bad (one buzzes, the other resets itself periodically (blinks off and back on)). It has been very disappointing.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:49 PM

149 posts, read 103,179 times
I have been replacing our CFL with LED. We use 5000K as my wife and I do a lot of reading and like the whiter light better; also, she has a lot of hobbies she works on and likes the whiter light. I would say about 20% of the LED lights burn out in 6 to 12 months after a few hundred hours on them. The rest seem to work okay. When a LED burns out, it just goes off. When a CFL burns out, it actually burns out. You can smell them overheating and the ceramic/glass portion is often discolored and a little melted. My only complaint about LED is the dimmable bulbs are not too sensitive to a dimmable switch; I think I read somewhere where they recommended a different kind of dimmable switch, but I am not going to change them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House