U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-03-2008, 07:20 PM

5,361 posts, read 8,817,872 times
Default Carpet beetles?

I am totally freaking out - we didn't have wall-to-wall until several yrs. ago. I had a wool jacket/coat thing that I decided to take to cleaners and laid on the floor of closet, when I went to actually take it (months later...lol) it had tiny holes in it and I had to toss it. Then! hubby's suit jacket in another closet (same floor) had teeny holes in the sleeves!

I did a google search and that's all I can figure but it creeps me out - in all my yrs. NEVER had such a thing (talking all the yrs. of rentals, etc.) - then this happens in our house? YUCK.

Anybody have experience w/finding holes in clothing? I didn't think any of having some item on the floor of a carpeted closet until I got around to dealing with it. Now I'm worried, closets are jammed (floor also) - any thoughts?

I do plan to totally freak out the cat and vacuum the rooms within an inch of their lives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 10:23 AM

11,399 posts, read 25,413,162 times
Possibly that, possibly moths, it doesn't really matter. Vac the carpet like you plan, and then get a big plastic bottle of boric acid from a place like Lowes or Home Depot. It should cost less than $10. Slice the tip off the plastic bottle, leaving an opening of about the diameter of a fat q-tip. Hold the bottle at an angle and rap it with the side of your hand to loosen the powder inside, then give a quick hard squeeze. A fine mist of dust will come out. (Don't do this with the bottle upside down, for obvious reasons. ) Using a dust mask and working backwards from the interior of closets and rooms out, mist a fine layer of the boric acid dust all over your carpet. Let it settle, then use a broom to sweep it off the surface and into the nap of the carpet. You will need to wipe off furniture of course, once you have finished driving it into the carpet with the broom. Otherwise, LEAVE IT without vacuuming for a couple of weeks.

Boron is incompatible with the metabolism of insects. It does not affect humans or pets the same way, and is quite safe unless you leave exposed piles of it. (FWIW, if you have a cat, NEVER USE PYRETHRUM based insecticides. Those are very seriously poisonous to cats in particular.) You can also use borax or other boron containing compounds to do the same job.

Once you have treated your carpets and upholstery with boric acid and let it rest, you will have killed fleas, beetles, roaches, moths and any other insects. After the one to two weeks waiting period, you can then just vacuum normally. (Don't be obsessive about getting all of the boric acid out - you want traces of it to remain.) In a year or so, you might have to do another treatment. Roach infestations may require a shorter time between treatments. Doing a variation of this, I've quickly eliminated insect pests in movie theatres that had been infested with roaches and fleas for years.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:06 PM

15,820 posts, read 30,195,002 times
Go to home depot. Get a huge number of fumigators (not foggers - fumigators). they are pricy, $11 for a box of three. I think that they are made by raid. Remove everything from your house that is alive and you want to stay that way. Cover any food, fish tanks and turn off anyhitng that makes a flame. use slightly more fumigators than recommended on the box. We used 15 of them for about 4900 s.f. (including the basement), but we put some in the attic too. really should have bough ne more pack 18 would have been the right number.

You just put a little water in the cup of each fumigator, drop the unit in and then quickly move to the next one. Get out of the house (your house must be sealed - all doors and windows closed) and go to a movie and dinner. When you get back, air out the house for half an hour or so and presto- no more bugs. Everything will be dead. Kills mice too.

$60-$70 may seem expensive, but try hiring someone for that amount. We do this about three or four times a year and avoid bug problems. Most recently, we were infested with carpenter ants. They were everywhere. We saw them every day all over the house. After fumigating, we have not seen one alive. Another time we wiped out a very bad moth problem. took out a house full of flies another time. I have never seen anyhting alive after fumigating. Of course bugs from outside can come in again through doors and windows, but it wipes out the resident pests.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:11 PM

11,399 posts, read 25,413,162 times
"Go to home depot. Get a huge number of fumigators (not foggers - fumigators). "

NOOO!!!! Do NOT do this. Not with a cat around. This used to be an option, but environmental activist pressure has changed the formulations on these to pyrethrum based insecticides, which are poison to cats. Even the residual can make them sick.

I rarely advise against another poster's advice, but this is REALLY bad advice for people with cats. I apologize in advance if this offends, and I'm sure it works for people without cats as pets (although it is much more expensive than a bottle of boric acid.)

Old 04-05-2008, 09:00 AM

624 posts, read 2,762,701 times
I've had this problem and it seems to follow me..damn things ate holes in my wool business suits...I just moved into a new house and am being careful with the new clothes I bought for work-I'm ripping the carpet out of the closet and hardwooding just because of these little critters-I'll have to try that boric acid trick around the carpeted portions of the house.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:46 PM

5,361 posts, read 8,817,872 times
I'll do some research into the boric acid, on pets/people/carpet color - thanks for the tip. We had to carpet because some walls, etc. were previously moved and they ruined the hardwood floors - but if necessary, the carpet will go and we'll deal for the time being w/the floors looking bad until we can repair them.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 21,879 times
Default Carpet Beetles in my Sofa? In my bag!?

My sister just found carpet beetles in her closets in her apartment. I have 2 concerns now:
1. My couch had been in her apartment for 2 years up until 2 weeks ago when it was put into storage and then moved into my apartment this past Saturday. How can I check if they came with the couch? The floors are hard wood laminate and I have no carpets...the apartment is very clean, but I am afraid they will come out later.

2. I stayed in her apartment for 2 days, with my bag on the floor of the apartment, and slept on the pullout sofa that is still there. I did find an old beetle skin under the matress that I quickly vacuumed up, thinking it was just a single skin....Now today I hear the apartment is infested! What are the chances that I brought these pests to my new place!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House