Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 09:11 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
So is warm white best or cool white??? I want BRIGHTNESS for reading...
“Brightness” is a perceived combination of lumens and color temperature.
Buy a bunch of bulbs that cover the range and figure out what is best for you.

Here is your shopping list:
750 lumens, 2700°K, $1.44 - https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/208203/PLT-11235.html
800 lumens, 3000°K, $1.77 - https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/17...IVIL-1004.html
750 lumens, 4000°K, $1.44 - https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/208204/PLT-11236.html
1100 lumens, 2700°K, $6.60 - https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/200016/IRT-10097.html
1600 lumens, 3000°K, $6.39 - https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/203444/TCP-10126.html
1600 lumens, 4000°K, $6.39 - https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/202034/TCP-10080.html

Last edited by davebarnes; 11-04-2018 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 09:18 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
the eye perceives around 4000k as brighter. that is why the most popular fluorescent ever sold was the f40cw and later the f34cw . it always appeared brighter to the eye even though it really wan't any brighter .

when i went to philips lighting school they lets us play with all the different colors . .

we have new led's that actually can change color index via a remote . they just put them in the conference room. it is pretty cool .

Old 11-04-2018, 09:42 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
I think the industry has done a terrible job educating consumers on changes in light bulb technology and having poorly trained sales associates does not help. It is no wonder some people want hoard the old incandescents.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:48 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
I bought the CREE Soft White Full-Spectrum LEDs, because they make colors look more true.

Prior to that, I had purchased the CREE Soft-White regular LEDs, for a very nice lodge-style rental house with a lot of wood inside. I switched to the full-spectrum bulbs and they made the wood look so much more beautiful. The regular bulbs made the wood look yellowy and washed out.

Go for full-spectrum bulbs if you can. All your colors will look more vibrant.

I agree with everyone that LEDs are brighter. I only used 40 and 60 watt LED bulbs in that house, depending on the area. 60 watt was as bright as we could stand. That house had a gazillion lights in it, so LEDs really made a difference in cost.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:12 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I think the industry has done a terrible job educating consumers on changes in light bulb technology and having poorly trained sales associates does not help. It is no wonder some people want hoard the old incandescents.
Maybe, but I think the message that "OMFG, they're banning 100w light bulbs!" had more to do with the attitude. Even for people who didn't have a single 100-watter in the house.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:18 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Quote:
I've tried...

the halogen bulbs are just not conducive to reading, doing crosswords, cooking, etc. Anything that requires close up viewing. Have one large drawerful of incandescents but they're getting harder to find and increasingly expensive. My vision is not waning but I do use magnifiers for reading.

Do you use halogen bulbs, LEDs, the power savers, without viewing issues or do you still prefer incandescents?
Don’t buy cheap or off brand LEDs, the name brand ones are so much better than incandescents.

I boxed up all of our incandescent bulbs and took them to Goodwill.

My mom had dozens of unopened boxes of incandescent bulb 6-packs in her closet. She bought them on clearance. I took all of them to the Goodwill near her house.

So I suggest looking at Goodwill stores if you want to buy more incandescent bulbs

Old 11-04-2018, 10:50 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I bought the CREE Soft White Full-Spectrum LEDs, because they make colors look more true.

Prior to that, I had purchased the CREE Soft-White regular LEDs, for a very nice lodge-style rental house with a lot of wood inside. I switched to the full-spectrum bulbs and they made the wood look so much more beautiful. The regular bulbs made the wood look yellowy and washed out.

Go for full-spectrum bulbs if you can. All your colors will look more vibrant.

I agree with everyone that LEDs are brighter. I only used 40 and 60 watt LED bulbs in that house, depending on the area. 60 watt was as bright as we could stand. That house had a gazillion lights in it, so LEDs really made a difference in cost.

Thanks for the information....you all have changed my thinking. I'll be trying LED by CREE next time I buy bulbs.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:53 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
it isn't the industry . the supply houses in the industry who handle lighting are very well trained .

the problem is incandescent light bulbs were a simple product that anyone could sell.you bought them in the supermarket .

today there are so many retail establishments that try to sell far more complex products then they are capable of based on the fact they used to sell incandescent lamps . .

the box stores , home depot , etc have the least knowledgeable people out on the floor .

the company i was with has a whole division devoted to lighting projects and lamps and they are well schooled in it .

they have done some really nice high profile jobs here in nyc with outstanding results . whenever we go to the factory training schools we see our competitors there too so full line supply houses are still being well trained .

i am a motor control guy , i do very little in lighting but even i had to attend the schools .

the lack of knowledge out there is how the poster here ended up with 22 hi hats that were sold to him without even questioning dimming capability or making him aware he would have problems . he really needed led fixtures that were designed around a 0-10v dimming set up and not line voltage.

Dimmer options for 22 recessed LEDs

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-04-2018 at 11:03 AM..

Old 11-04-2018, 11:35 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
I've tried...

the halogen bulbs are just not conducive to reading, doing crosswords, cooking, etc. Anything that requires close up viewing. Have one large drawerful of incandescents but they're getting harder to find and increasingly expensive. My vision is not waning but I do use magnifiers for reading.

Do you use halogen bulbs, LEDs, the power savers, without viewing issues or do you still prefer incandescents?
PLENTY of bright LED bulbs, try anything from 60 watt equivalent and up with the warm CRI reading. GREAT even amount of light and very bright- almost too bright. Much more energy efficient also.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:28 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
Quote:
Now I'm reading that they aren't and weren't ever really actually banned and I still see them for sale all over - both in stores and online. Oh well, I still have my supply, just in case! lol

Originally they were but the ban was stopped. As I recall, the GOP congress under Obama had voted to revise the statute and effectively overturn the full ban, instead mandating design changes to use more efficient materials, making bulbs slightly lower-wattage whilst keeping close to equivalent light output. Or something. Whatever, the plan was initially a full ban then after considerable public backlash it was withdrawn. Which is why you still see incandescent bulbs for sale and likely will into the foreseeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House