Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 12:42 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I would not get Bosch. Repairmen and parts can be hard to come by and seem to be needed more than KitchenAid. Sometimes Bosch parts have to come from Gerrany.

the more common a brand is, the easier it will be to get repairmen and parts for it. eventually you are going to need repairs for any brand.
I don't think I've ever needed a repair on a Bosch.

And the argument that a brand is so faulty that parts and repairmen are plentiful does not seem to be a good argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 01:05 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,004 times
I would not get a Samsung refrigerator. I found out the hard way that only a few repairmen can/will work on them. I believe they said the issue was the ability to get replacement parts. Samsung has contracted with Sears so when I've had to have someone look at mine, Sears was my only option. I won't get another one for that reason.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:20 PM

I dunno. Judging appliance choice by how hard it might be to get a repairman is a bit like buying one car over another because Brand A is easier to tow.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:49 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,959,833 times
we have always bought Kenmore (Sears). our house looks like Sears exploded. it is a shame, too, that Sears is not what
it used to be and may disappear soon. i know Sears did not make the appliances...GE (who is in trouble, too), or Whirlpool,
or whatever just put the Kenmore name on them. regardless, the appliances were priced right, they worked as advertised,
and when the parts "aged out", they were easy to find and fix. i have replaced our dryer element twice in 22 years.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:59 PM

No question Kenmore was once the go-to brand. But then, so was Sears in general.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:04 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default Counter-depth is not built-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Others make counter-depth fridges. You can get almost anything SZ or Wolf or other uber-brands sell at a far lower price point.
Really?
Sub-Zero refrigerators come in two depths: Built-In and Integrated.
Built-in ones are 26 inches deep, including the door.
Integrated ones are 24 inches deep, including the door.

A Whirlpool counter depth refrigerator (https://www.whirlpool.com/kitchen/re...rf954cihv.html) is 29 inches deep.

Show me a 26 inch or less deep refrigerator "at a far lower price point" than a Sub-Zero.

For example, a Bosch 36-inch wide built-in is $7-8K. Depth is 26 inches (with door). The equivalent Sub-Zero is $2k more with a much longer warranty.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Really?
Counter depth is 30 inches. If you insist on something shallower, your choices get more limited and vastly more expensive. *shrug*

I've never seen the value in an expensive wall o' refrigerated knick-knack shelves. Getting away from the absurdly narrow depths of a standard side-by is quite enough.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:22 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
anything but fridgeaire

Old 11-13-2018, 10:19 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,529,053 times
We built a new house this past year, and I picked Kitchenaid for the dishwasher, microwave and gas range. I wanted the uber-quiet dishwasher (39 db), and am very pleased with it. The gas range, which was a high-middle price selection I’m not entirely happy with. The oven seems to need more insulation. It really radiates heat. The microwave is fine. Reheats the coffe great.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:28 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,193,739 times
Thank you for all your opinions I think I am going to go with the Kitchen-aid. For the range I want the duel gas/electric that I had. I loved Jenn-Aire but the price has gone up , we had our appliances for 13 years and no repairs. I love the Fisher Paykal double drawer dishwasher, its quiet, cleans exceptionally well. We use only one drawer there is just 2 of us so not alot of dishes. But for me a must is the trash compactor we use it for recyclables only. We take it out every 2 weeks and put it out for recycling. Before that we always had too many recyclables, and could never fit it all into the containers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House