Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 09:31 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,646,935 times

Advertisements

I had a new stove delivered and was preoccupied and didn't notice until much later that it had two actual dents in the front of it (you have to stand a certain way to see them and they are down low, so they weren't obvious). I was so excited about getting my new range that I did not inspect it from top to bottom as I should have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 10:23 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded.

Question: Do refrigerators typically come with the doors on or off? Because this bookcase is not moving. I don't think I moved it last time I got a fridge, which was about the same size as the new one. I may have to wrap it up in a heavy blanket.
They are usually shipped with the doors on but the handles off. When the delivery guys arrive, point out the tight clearance so they can put the handles on after they get it in the kitchen.

The doors do come off if absolutely necessary.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:48 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I had a new stove delivered and was preoccupied and didn't notice until much later that it had two actual dents in the front of it (you have to stand a certain way to see them and they are down low, so they weren't obvious). I was so excited about getting my new range that I did not inspect it from top to bottom as I should have.
At least yours had feet!

Old 11-21-2018, 01:30 AM

156 posts, read 440,342 times
I just read some articles which suggest waiting several hours before plugging in a new refrigerator. Something about it being layed on it's side and the oil. So what am I supposed to do here? Wait several hours or go ahead and plug it in?

Old 11-21-2018, 03:00 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Quote:
I just read some articles which suggest waiting several hours before plugging in a new refrigerator. Something about it being layed on it's side and the oil. So what am I supposed to do here? Wait several hours or go ahead and plug it in?
I've never seen 'real' delivery people lay a 'fridge down. That's something homeowners do to fit it in their vehicle or don't know how to secure in in their pick up truck.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:00 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,944,341 times
I just had a fridge delivered by a 3rd party, arranged by Costco. The new fridge was upright on the truck, with doors on, but not the handles. They took off the box outside and two guys carried it inside using one of the "forearm forklifts" / harnesses. They were very careful and did a great job. 1st appliance purchase through Costco - very pleased with entire process.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:26 AM

826 posts, read 1,125,306 times
Quote:

If the fridge is laid down on its side then the oil won't be circulated properly in the compressor, which could result in it being damaged when used. Setting it back up right for several hours gives time for the oil recirculate in the compressor. As the poster above noted, this shouldn't be a problem if using real delivery guys through a reputable company. I worked at Sears for a while in college. Fridges were always stored and transported upright for this exact reason. The only time they would go on the side was to put it in the back of a pick up for a customer and then we always told them to wait 48 hours before plugging it in. Probably a lot longer than needed, it was definitely more of a CYA move.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:50 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,609 times
I purchased my Kenmore fridge through Amazon a couple months ago, and it was delivered by a third party that is also contracted with Sears, Costco, etc. The fridge was delivered standing up, doors on, handles off. They unboxed it in front of my driveway, and two guys carried it in with straps. The third guy did other assorted things, like clear the path (including unsuccessfully removing hinges from one of my doors because he thought he could make the minimum clearance even wider) and directing final placement. They hooked up everything, tested it, and gave me a couple very brief reminders before handing me the instruction manual. I signed for the delivery, with the understanding from Amazon that I had a few days to inspect it in case of defects.

I had a Kenmore washer and dryer set purchased through Sears delivered around the same time. Also third party (different company) with two guys instead of three. Installation and testing was done before sign-off. Same acceptance concept, where I could return if defects found after they left. Obviously that would be a hassle, but my guess it's something like 72 hours where they would come back and pick it up, rather than me trying to haul it back to a store.

As for the bookcase, move it if at all possible. If it doesn't move, confirm that you meet the minimum delivery path requirement and watch the workers every time they go past it. Good luck.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:36 PM

149 posts, read 104,204 times
Some of these new refrigerators have both air and water filters. Make sure you get them and that they are installed. Also, make sure they level up the refrigerator properly. And if it is a double door refrigerator, make sure both doors are even (the delivery folks have all the tools necessary to do this).

When our refrigerator was delivered and installed, the delivery folks laid down canvas tarps on top of our hardwood floors before bringing the refrigerator in on a hand cart.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:01 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,086,237 times
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who responded.

Question: Do refrigerators typically come with the doors on or off? Because this bookcase is not moving. I don't think I moved it last time I got a fridge, which was about the same size as the new one. I may have to wrap it up in a heavy blanket.

'about the same size' isn't good enough. A 35.1" fridge will not fit through a 35"doorway. I have always had good delivery people. They will look at the space and if it is close will be careful until it is obvious it will make it or not. I've had more problems with friends helping me move things. About 15 years ago we had a fridge that was too wide by about .25" to fit through the hallway. The delivery team looked at it approached the hallway carefully with the fridge but eventually had to put it back on the truck. Store gave us full credit on a different one. Same class fridge, different manufacturer it was just under .5" narrower and fit down the hallway.

Point out the area you think will be a problem then step back and let the crew attempt to solve the problem. A big part in how many delivery jobs they get is based on customer feedback (both good and bad) so they want to be successful and have you happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House