Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 12:32 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,201,081 times

Advertisements

What do you think of bubble lights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 12:42 PM

21,565 posts, read 9,180,607 times
I used the GE 150 white light strands. They make them that are not LED. I can get several seasons out of a strand.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:52 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,383,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think you CAN help it.

This is the very definition of sweating the small stuff.

Life is too short.

Good day.
Not my problem, personally, but I'll play devil's advocate...

I think that it's easy to say for people to whom it was never a priority or passion. They make it look so effortless.

But if Christmas lights are your "thing" or you have a legitimate issue like migraines triggered by certain lights, it becomes more difficult to "not sweat the small stuff" when you:

1. Can't keep your eyes closed while driving
2. Can't tell your neighbors what lights to use
3. Can't take a different route home because each street has SOMEONE with LED lights

And so on and so forth... Get my point?

Old 11-20-2018, 12:58 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,844,022 times
what do people think of these?

Our neighbor has installed those wacky icicle lights on his house and I thought I'd install a Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Nativity Scene, if I can find one.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,210,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I hate, hate, hate LED Christmas lights. I also hate having to throw out many of the traditional lights after only a year of use because they either won't light, or only half the strand will light.

Can anyone recommend a mini-light, both colored and white, that will last longer than a single season? I seem to have better luck with the C9s, and it's easy to replace a bulb that goes out, but they're only good for the house, not the bushes and trees. I will NOT use LEDs. I'd rather go without than put those science-fiction-looking things in my yard.
I have some advice. Quit hating during Christmas.

SS

Old 11-20-2018, 01:13 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,772,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post

Not my problem, personally, but I'll play devil's advocate...

I think that it's easy to say for people to whom it was never a priority or passion. They make it look so effortless.

But if Christmas lights are your "thing" or you have a legitimate issue like migraines triggered by certain lights, it becomes more difficult to "not sweat the small stuff" when you:

1. Can't keep your eyes closed while driving
2. Can't tell your neighbors what lights to use
3. Can't take a different route home because each street has SOMEONE with LED lights

And so on and so forth... Get my point?

Show me proof of someone with an actual medical condition caused by LED Christmas lights, and I will take back my post about this very definitely being the "small stuff".

Old 11-20-2018, 01:18 PM

11,902 posts, read 8,221,751 times
Before I read the thread I was going to suggest these. I think a couple of rows lining your sidewalk would be charming.

https://www.directfrommexico.com/luminaries.html

I still think they're much more charming than any other kind of light.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:08 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,600,656 times
Quote:
Show me proof of someone with an actual medical condition caused by LED Christmas lights, and I will take back my post about this very definitely being the "small stuff".
I don’t know from ‘actual medical conditions’, but I do know that both LED Christmas lights and the “harmless” red lasers in the retail checkouts make my eyes physically hurt and itch. I’m both glad for you that you don’t experience this, and sad that you can’t feel empathy for those not exactly like you.

Strangely enough, I have no reaction to LED ‘frosted’ incandescent reading lamps. Tricky stuff, this being human.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Not expecting you to retract anything at all - just throwing out a statement for a small subset of people that really does exist. No need for special accommodations for us - the existence of LED and fluorescent bulbs is much too pervasive for any kind of change to make sense.

Have a coworker who gets migraines by the nature of fluorescent lights and certain LEDs, the ones that appear to flicker when viewed indirectly. I believe it's a barely detectable flashing (60 Hz if I'm not mistaken).

I will concede, MOST people are not aware, let alone even slightly affected by this strobe effect. I, for example, have SEVERE motion sickness while in vehicles I'm not driving (cars, planes - so far I'm okay on boats and trains).

I really wish I (and other such people) were the type who could sit in peace in the back of a car and read a book. Or in my coworker's case, use electronics without some sort of polarizing filter in front of it.

Last edited by ddm2k; 11-20-2018 at 02:49 PM..

Old 11-20-2018, 02:14 PM

In our attic, I found a full, new box of the old jumbo Christmas lights - the incandescent glass bulbs about the size of your thumb that individually screw down into a socket. All very pleasing, "old" colors. The only problems being that 1.) I don't think you can buy such types of light strings anymore, 2.) I think that's for a safety reason, and 3.) For the aforementioned reason, it's safe to say these are definitely not an outdoor bulb!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House