Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 08:42 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
In which case, deal with the shortcomings of "traditional" lights, or have no lights at all. I think the OP is in search of a unicorn.
Although I certainly was griping about the lights, I was also looking for suggestions for a fix. Several posters offered up ideas and possible solutions, and it is very appreciated. Thank you to those who did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 11:33 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,250,739 times
Quote:
No, it’s not. But there is plenty of science based evidence supporting photophobia & migraines:

Quote:
We conclude that visual flicker not only causes discomfort but also exerts measurable effects on contrast processing in the visual pathways in migraine. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3571449/
Quote:
Evidence for modulation of the trigeminovascular pathway by light and identification of the pathway through which photic signals converge on the nociceptive pathway that mediates migraine headache provide first set of scientific data on the mechanism by which light intensifies migraine headache.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21467933
That first link only tested to 30 hz and LED lights will "flicker" at exactly 60 hz which is twice the maximum rate in the link.. I think they only tested to 30 hz because of the method used. Second link had nothing to do with flicker as far as I could tell, only light.

Last night my wife and I stared at LED Christmas lights to see if could detect any flicker. We could not nor felt any sort of discomfort at all. But neither of us get migraines. FYI, I can detect 50 hz flicker, used to be involved in video consumer electronics and the European TV picture rates are 50 / 25 hz and I could see the flicker.

You normally have a lot of 60 hz and 30 hz flicker in the home regardless of LED lights. Curious if that also bothers people who are sensitive to LED Christmas lights?

If the lights are giving you migraine headaches.. that is certainly something to be sympathetic about.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:40 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
No they don’t, they have a sort of cold bluish color to them that I hate, and they also tend to flicker a bit. They just don’t give off the same warm glow that the older ones did.

I will be using my C9s again this year on the house.
You can buy warm white LEDs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-23-2018, 02:51 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You can buy warm white LEDs.
I normally use colored lights. The problem with the colored LEDs for me is that the blue seems to overpower the other colors.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:28 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I don't like LEDs either, especially inside. Outside they look much better. I'm hoarding as many strings of mini lights as I can!

OP, if you can find GE brand mini light strings, I've found them to be a lot more durable than the generic brands. I can't think off the top of my head retailers that carry GE lights, but there are some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think you CAN help it.

This is the very definition of sweating the small stuff.

Life is too short.

Good day.
Wow. Way to show empathy there. I hope you never have to experience a migraine headache or other issues that sometimes can be exacerbated by certain types of lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
In our attic, I found a full, new box of the old jumbo Christmas lights - the incandescent glass bulbs about the size of your thumb that individually screw down into a socket. All very pleasing, "old" colors. The only problems being that 1.) I don't think you can buy such types of light strings anymore, 2.) I think that's for a safety reason, and 3.) For the aforementioned reason, it's safe to say these are definitely not an outdoor bulb!
C9 and C7 incandescent bulbs aren't unsafe as long as the wiring is OK. They do get hot, so you can't put them on a live tree indoors. And yes, you can use them outside if they are rated for outdoor use.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:37 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
C9 bulbs have a nice look but grossly inefficient. 175 watts used per 25 bulb set. When I was growing up we had a timer for the lights rated at 1850 watts. We were easily up to 1500 watts. LED are about 90% more efficient. Mini lights are not terrible, but not as efficient as LEDs.
Not inefficient if indoors and you're enjoying their byproduct - heat

Old 11-28-2018, 01:24 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
C9 and C7 incandescent bulbs aren't unsafe as long as the wiring is OK. They do get hot, so you can't put them on a live tree indoors. And yes, you can use them outside if they are rated for outdoor use.
I meant to say artificial tree. Oops!

Old 11-28-2018, 02:05 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I meant to say artificial tree. Oops!
As far as I know many C9 bulbs are rated ONLY for outdoor use.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:15 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
the LED white lights give off a bluish color.
some like it, some dont.
Living in the city, when I look out my kitchen window I can see an apartment house across, I can tell which apartments have the LED lights. They are this stark bluish white light, almost like looking at the moon. The above a tenant has the regular lights, and so on....

I like the warm LED's as I have them and are used to them. They have also reduced my electric bill to where it was noticeable.

I do think the colored LED christmas lights look drab, and dont have that "brightness" that the regular christmas lights have.

I can see how they can give one a migrane, if your prone to that.
I have never noticed the "flickr" of them however.

We kinda have to get used to them, because this is all they are selling these day, and most likeley, forever.....

Old 12-03-2018, 07:10 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Not inefficient if indoors and you're enjoying their byproduct - heat
A bit off topic, but I have a 250 watt incandescent that I use for setting the emulsion on silk screen designs. In the winter I put it over my sewing machine because it's so bright, but it's also warm. Makes working more tolerable when I'm not cold, since sewing room is in the basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House