Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:42 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It is a pain in the butt to make love on, worse than a water bed in the 70's.
Heh, seriously? Water beds are nearly impossible but we never had any issues on the pillowtop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 12:15 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
I'm not sure they make them anymore, but we have a double-sided pillow top mattress from Serta, I think. We've never had any problems with lumpiness (or sex), but the center has started to drop now that it's ten-years-old, so we're also in the market for a new set, too.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:02 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
We bought our teenage son a new bed last year. It is pillow top on both sides of the mattress. We thought that was a cool feature for flipping. NOT. The mattress slides all over the place. His bed is always half cocked and needs constant straightening. So steer clear of a double sided pillow top.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:50 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I prefer a tight-top matterss and a latex foam topper than I can replace as needed.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:41 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
We bought our teenage son a new bed last year. It is pillow top on both sides of the mattress. We thought that was a cool feature for flipping. NOT. The mattress slides all over the place. His bed is always half cocked and needs constant straightening. So steer clear of a double sided pillow top.
Wow! We've never had that problem. Who was the manufacturer of the mattress?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 23,899 times
Thanks everyone - we love the mattress, I don't feel my 300+ lb husband flip-flopping around in the night now and he has room and I am not crowded anymore, and he bought some queen size sheets and they did fit, so I am going to go out and get more, but I love the bed very much!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:44 AM

556 posts, read 2,087,303 times
I don't like my pillow top mattress either - it's one sided - and currently I have it upside down, with a good quality memory foam topper and mattress cover in place. My back was killing me every morning, until we turned it upside down. Now - a good night sleep - and no aches & pains when I wake up! When we replace this one - it will be for a 'plain' mattress

Old 06-09-2011, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 8,481 times
Angry Pillow-top mattresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
I am in the market for a new mattress and the pillow-top seems to be comfy but I am worried about the pillow top breaking down. I was wanting to hear from anyone who has one and what their take on them were.
We have had a Beautyrest for five years and if we had to do it all over again - we wouldn't buy a pillow-top mattress again - as the mattress is not reversible and with only one usable side - sagging begins almost immediately. Even with two adults weighing between 104 and 175 pounds the mattress can't stand up to its billing. Save your money and buy a high-end memory foam mattress.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:05 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
personaly i LOVE sleeping on a pillowtop, but i cant afford to replace my matress as often as you need to with a 1 sided matress...so i do a normal mid-soft matress with a feather bed topper (i cant do foam because of the latex content (its enough that even with good sheets i still breka out) and ive found the normal "pillow tops" dont last long...a good feather bed topper though, soft, easy to "refluff" with a good shake, warm in winter but breathes well in summer

Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
We bought each of our boys queen mattresses on the same day about 6 years ago. One was a pillowtop and the other was a traditional style mattress. The mattresses are the same name brand (Serta, I think) and about the same quality level. The pillowtop was for our youngest son who was in the 8th grade and only about 85 pounds. After about 4 years this mattress had a giant crease across the middle of it. Even now at 20, he's only about 120 pounds, so it's not like he's a big guy that would break down a mattress. The traditional mattress was for our older son who was in the 9th grade at the time and about 125 pounds, which quickly rose to about 165 pounds. His mattress is still in perfect shape and looks and feels new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House