Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 05:13 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,059 times

Advertisements

I am in the market for a new mattress and the pillow-top seems to be comfy but I am worried about the pillow top breaking down. I was wanting to hear from anyone who has one and what their take on them were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 06:30 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
I LOVE mine. We have a king sized King Koil and paid about $2K for it and it was worth every penny.
The only thing is you have to spin it once a month (Say, clockwise) instead of flipping the matress so that it wears evenly. Now, my husband is on one side (about 200 pounds) and I am on the other (about 125 pounds) and in the middle is a medium hump as we have "dented" our sides, lol! But, it is great and we will always buy the same thing.
Good luck!

Old 04-06-2008, 07:50 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I didn't get one when we bought a mattress last, Dec. - I recently had some back/sciatica issues and the therapist said do NOT buy a pillow top - not enough support. I guess it depends on your age? LOL (and I'm not THAT old) - BUT, on another note, reviews I've read said try to get an older mattress that you can actually flip on all sides,a pillow top and comfort top, just have a "top" - and you have settling issues.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:39 PM

305 posts, read 1,610,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
BUT, on another note, reviews I've read said try to get an older mattress that you can actually flip on all sides,a pillow top and comfort top, just have a "top" - and you have settling issues.
True, they USED to make 2-sided mattresses, but no longer. And the single-sided mattresses cost the same as the old 2-siders...sheesh!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
We just did the new mattress thing, and the saleswoman steered us away from pillowtops because of the eventual lumpy-ness of the pillowtop - don't know from experience if that is true, but it was odd she did that considering the pillowtops were more expensive than the other ones we were looking at.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
We just did the new mattress thing, and the saleswoman steered us away from pillowtops because of the eventual lumpy-ness of the pillowtop - don't know from experience if that is true, but it was odd she did that considering the pillowtops were more expensive than the other ones we were looking at.
That is the one thing that I am worried about especially since my pillows become lumpy in a matter of a month and I know my body is heavier than my head .

The sales guy that we talked to yesterday did say that the pillow-top will get indented with our body and like the previous poster stated can get a hump in the middle if no one ever sleeps there.

It just seems that they are so much more comfy. I would just hate to drop a couple of thousands of dollars to be sleeping on lumps in a year to two.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:40 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times
A friend sent me this article a while back that really debunks most of the marketing nonsense that bedding folks toss around....read it and realize the BS that most sales people are giving you.

Going to the MattressesÂ* - By Seth Stevenson - Slate Magazine

Old 04-07-2008, 07:40 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
We were originally gungho on a pillowtop because we've slept on some fantastic ones in different hotels. She explained that would be true, that comfort would have been awesome, but she said that hotel chains tend to change out their mattresses much sooner than homeowners, and since there are different folks on them often, the wear-n-tear is different.

Although she didn't highly recommend it, she said we could purchase a removable pillowtop at a department store to place on a non-pillowtop mattress.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 AM

Thats what I was think too. Purchase a top for it and if it does wear out just get a new one instead of having to purchase a new mattress.

Thanks for the read JBrown, very interesting. I know the guy we seen yesterday was very pushy and I don't like that. He made a comment to me that really got to me. He said about when I get my taxes back.......How does he know I am getting anything back?

Old 04-07-2008, 01:27 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I've had a pillowtop for three years, and won't buy another one. The pillowtop has gotten lumpy, and the mattress sags in the middle. Methinks the stuffing that would normally have been put inside the mattress was yanked out and stuffed into the pillowtop.

That was a great article, JBrown, by the way. Thanks for posting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House