Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2019, 08:18 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
Don’t forget the hillbilly above-ground pool in the back, along with the clothesline to dry laundry.
I'm always surprised about the rap above ground pools get. They were pretty common in my working class neighborhood growing up -- going to the city pool was seen as what poor people did. The fact that a lot of upscale suburbs and subdivisions have community pools still seems weird to me.

I think they're a good solution for families who just want a pool for the kids. Put it up for the elementary school years and then take it back down and re-seed the lawn. There's no need for the major project (and expense) of an in-ground pool if you're only going to get use out of it for ~5 years.

If that makes me the hillbilly in your neighborhood, then so be it. I'll wear the badge proudly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 08:39 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I'm always surprised about the rap above ground pools get. They were pretty common in my working class neighborhood growing up -- going to the city pool was seen as what poor people did. The fact that a lot of upscale suburbs and subdivisions have community pools still seems weird to me.

I think they're a good solution for families who just want a pool for the kids. Put it up for the elementary school years and then take it back down and re-seed the lawn. There's no need for the major project (and expense) of an in-ground pool if you're only going to get use out of it for ~5 years.

If that makes me the hillbilly in your neighborhood, then so be it. I'll wear the badge proudly
Some places, like where I am, have a water table so high that in ground pools are almost impossible to install so people wanting a pool go to above ground by default.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:48 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some places, like where I am, have a water table so high that in ground pools are almost impossible to install so people wanting a pool go to above ground by default.
Good point. I bet above ground pools are more acceptable in places with colder, longer winters, too. Why spend thousands on an in-ground pool you can only use a few months a year?

In-ground pools are relatively rare here in Ohio. But when I fly into a place like Texas I can see them dotting the landscape all over.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:21 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Are you? Shocked, I mean.

Is a garage a non-negotiable for you when house hunting? It sure is for me.
Even when I was in an apartment, only buildings with garages were even considered.

I'd never buy or rent a house with no garage. (Not if I could help it.)
My days of cleaning snow off the car, or parking on the street (at home) are over.

As the thread title says, I just continue to marvel at the number of people who have garages but don't park in them. Either:
-- they enclose the garage for more living space, OR
-- have so much junk, uh, have so many belongings they need the garage for storage. Some garages are packed to the door. You can't even step inside.

Obviously in Florida, I suppose people don't need to worry about snow. But in parts of the country that get snow people are freezing, leaving their wipers up, heating up their car......while I go to the garage, press the opener to lift the door, and pull right out.

And just as convenient, when I leave something in the car and need to go back to get it, I don't have to get fully dressed to go outside do it.

Its barely an issue - what 3 times a year? And I'm in the northeast.
Fluffy snow wipes right off with wipers. Frost simply melts when you remote preheat the car. Its rare I actually have to clean the snow off because it requires a snow then melt then freeze type sequence.

Most garages just get full of crap, its not a deal breaker for me. Neither are driveways without underground heating - also not a problem.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:05 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating what lots of SoCal members have already said, but I just want to point out that in California (at least SoCal) very few homes have attics or basements, and that's where one would ordinarily store what some call "junk," and what others would call items that have been useful in the past, and may become useful in the future. Or simply cherished stuff. So what do we do? We rent spaces, and we fill our garages. I only know of one neighbor who has turned his garage into a workshop (good for him). The rest of us reveal garages full of neatly stacked boxes, sometimes even labeled (like ours), whenever our garage doors are up. Our garages are our storage spaces. That's life in SoCal.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:20 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
... going to the city pool was seen as what poor people did.
That's what you were taught/told.
The large pool is about being engaged with the community so that you can have amenities
...things like swim teams for the kids, and adult evening activities (food, dance, etc).

Old 01-02-2019, 04:13 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
My project cars get the garage. I'm sure my neighbors would rather see my new daily driver parked in the driveway vs my engineless restomod.

Of course, practically speaking the garage is really suited more for that aspect as that's what it meant for

Old 01-02-2019, 04:36 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,684,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
My apologies. You just wanted to rant about builders, because of the realities of the world. Please don't let me interrupt your ravings. Carry on.
Minor correction.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:41 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,684,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
2019 Ford F150 Width direct from the Ford Website

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/models/f150-raptor/

Excluding mirrors 79.9 in.
Including standard mirrors 96.8 in.
Width - Standard Mirrors folded 83.5 in.
Width - Including trailer tow mirrors 105.9 in.
Width - Trailer tow mirrors folded 85.5 in.

96" simply will not work in any case unless the F150 mirrors are folded...

The Ford F250 long Crew base is 96" without mirrors

So even folding the mirrors will not get the F250 Crew through an 8 foot door.
Even if it did, who wants the hassle? Is it not better for everybody that after you pay about half a million dollars for a property that it is only fair to get unhassled by a task such as parking a car into a garage?

Old 01-02-2019, 05:06 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
I don't get it either. But then I went out and built a new house with a 3 car garage even though we currently only have one car. So we can park in there sideways if we want.

Growing up trailers, boats, ATVs, RVs and assorted junk were sent off to rented storage facilities. Guess a critical mass of people can no longer afford that.

I've also limited what vehicles I've purchased based on whether it would fit in the garage that I had at the time.

Car prowling and porch pirates are the most common crimes in suburbia. Why leave your valuable vehicle outside subject to that and the elements just to make room for a box of junk you'll likely never open until it's time to move again?

Garage sizing is odd. People complain about 50s/60s houses not having space for common cars now...yet they also reminisce about the large land yachts of the era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House