Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2019, 02:38 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,547,382 times

Advertisements

I always park in my garage, but not all of my neighbors do. My next door neighbor has an SUV that won’t fit into her garage (we have small garages), so she parks in her driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 02:50 PM

324 posts, read 384,722 times
My lake front home has no garage, but we have a beautiful view and a roomy walk- out game room/cellar that has a very good storage area. One good reason not to store stuff that you really don't need. That way you don't end up featured on TV where the homeowner got buried alive under all his junk!

Old 01-06-2019, 02:50 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,977,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I'd much rather back into a space than out of one.

*My* parking pet peeve is people who park alongside the store because they are too lazy to actually park in the parking lot!

A 65lb 18' sea kayak does, so it sits outside Your garage is gorgeous!! What did you use on the floor, and did you have to do something about the cracks in the floor first? Mine is one entire slab but there is a crack running across it these days.
Hope you aren't one of those people that back into slanted parking spaces that are on one way aisles.

My parking pet peeve.....people driving the wrong way down one way aisles in parking lots.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:01 PM

1,066 posts, read 624,237 times
When I bought my house, the right side (garage side) they had issue with foundation settling from runoff from neighboring house, my former owners paid for all this house and both their homes to get French drains to remove all their gutter water far away then they had the house jacked up or corrected or whatever (fixed now) there was the crack you see in photo. I could either 1. Got a quote for like 4k to tear and repour my garage. Or 2. Racedeck. The cracks was flush, so not a big deal with floor being laid down.

I spent 1200 dollars and got to choose my design, some beautiful designs ive seen but I wanted simple. I ordered it, and put it all together. fit perfectly to my garage, the tiles are super resilient, I do everything on them. if I did manage to break one, they'd just give me one. Just can't weld over them, since it is plastic, it will melt from the slag sparks or whatever.

I didn't want to go through the chaos of everything and it still not be perfect somehow not to mention mess, time effort. there is no crack now under it, and no issues. I really wanted epoxy but honestly, I am happy I went race deck hands down. There are some cheaper brands and such, but for like 15% more you got a far superior brand.

https://racedeck.com

gallery
https://www.facebook.com/pg/RaceDeck...d=101717245568
https://racedeck.com/galleries/photo-gallery/

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
A 65lb 18' sea kayak does, so it sits outside Your garage is gorgeous!! What did you use on the floor, and did you have to do something about the cracks in the floor first? Mine is one entire slab but there is a crack running across it these days.
Attaching one of my favorite designs I saw after I did mine. I probably would of done something like this as well. They have drain tiles, solid tiles, shiny tiles, dull, diamond, circle, wood, etc. I wanted high gloss diamond tile, I put a nice heavy duty landscape fabric on the floor before I laid the tile, some people have a clicky noise from plastic to tile walking, but I followed peoples advice, zero noise and its nice.

Lighter color like mine though reflects light better I imagine so that is a bonus. If you are interested, wait til a big sale like Black Friday etc, and call and ask. Mention garage journal forums and you get discounted pricing as we are sponsored by them. Its not a big deal if you aren't, they profit regardless.

below is the floor, my house, and also the pic with plane was where I got my idea, I really liked the look so I did a similar design.

Last edited by FreedomPenguin; 01-26-2019 at 12:12 PM..

Old 01-06-2019, 03:26 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,977,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
When I bought my house, the right side (garage side) they had issue with foundation settling from runoff from neighboring house, my former owners paid for all this house and both their homes to get French drains to remove all their gutter water far away then they had the house jacked up or corrected or whatever (fixed now) there was the crack you see in photo. I could either 1. Got a quote for like 4k to tear and repour my garage. Or 2. Racedeck. The cracks was flush, so not a big deal with floor being laid down.

I spent 1200 dollars and got to choose my design, some beautiful designs ive seen but I wanted simple. I ordered it, and put it all together. fit perfectly to my garage, the tiles are super resilient, I do everything on them. if I did manage to break one, they'd just give me one. Just can't weld over them, since it is plastic, it will melt from the slag sparks or whatever.

I didn't want to go through the chaos of everything and it still not be perfect somehow not to mention mess, time effort. there is no crack now under it, and no issues. I really wanted epoxy but honestly, I am happy I went race deck hands down. There are some cheaper brands and such, but for like 15% more you got a far superior brand.

https://racedeck.com

gallery
https://www.facebook.com/pg/RaceDeck...d=101717245568
https://racedeck.com/galleries/photo-gallery/

Attaching one of my favorite designs I saw after I did mine. I probably would of done something like this as well. They have drain tiles, solid tiles, shiny tiles, dull, diamond, circle, wood, etc. I wanted high gloss diamond tile, I put a nice heavy duty landscape fabric on the floor before I laid the tile, some people have a clicky noise from plastic to tile walking, but I followed peoples advice, zero noise and its nice.

Lighter color like mine though reflects light better I imagine so that is a bonus. If you are interested, wait til a big sale like Black Friday etc, and call and ask. Mention garage journal forums and you get discounted pricing as we are sponsored by them. Its not a big deal if you aren't, they profit regardless.

below is the floor, my house, and also the pic with plane was where I got my idea, I really liked the look so I did a similar design.
If I were you I would get a few spare tiles in each color just in case the ones you have are discontinued 5-10-15 years from now.

Even if you a are planning on selling someday I am sure the new owners would be happy to have them.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:39 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,342,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinco Ranch View Post
Someone correct me if im wrong this is just a theory but the main reason why most people decide to park on their driveways instead of inside the garage might be due to security reasons. When burglars see a house with zero cars parked anywhere near the street or driveway they immediately assume the home is vacant and will try to break in.

Another reason would be people decide to use up their garage as a storage space.
Parking in my garage keeps burglars from knowing whether I'm home. Making a habit of parking in my driveway would signal whether I'm home.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:47 PM

1,066 posts, read 624,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Parking in my garage keeps burglars from knowing whether I'm home. Making a habit of parking in my driveway would signal whether I'm home.

I always found lights was the #1 deterrent of a burglar, then cars, then animals while I was an police officer
Thats why its nice to have automated lighting to ensure you always have your garage lights/porch lights on. Even better some systems have scheduled dusk/dawn lighting to turn on and off, but it doesn't do it same time everyday, it will vary the times so people cant track if they come on at 8pm and off at 6am everyday. one day 7pm, one day 9pm etc. I guess what I am saying is, cars+dogs barking but no lights= still robbed more than any house with nice bright light.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:29 PM

6,479 posts, read 4,881,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Hope you aren't one of those people that back into slanted parking spaces that are on one way aisles.

LOL - nope!! But yes in normal spots.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:18 PM

2,444 posts, read 1,502,407 times
I like a nice garage. While not as impressive as Freedom Penguin’s, mine is clean and bright. I finished all of the walls and had the floors epoxied. I painted everything white, including old kitchen cabinets I hung for extra storage. When it snows I use a squeegee to clean the floors. I also back my car into the garage, lol. With the cold and snow we get I wouldn’t buy a house without a two-car garage.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:58 PM

17,186 posts, read 12,030,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I always found lights was the #1 deterrent of a burglar, then cars, then animals while I was an police officer
Thats why its nice to have automated lighting to ensure you always have your garage lights/porch lights on. Even better some systems have scheduled dusk/dawn lighting to turn on and off, but it doesn't do it same time everyday, it will vary the times so people cant track if they come on at 8pm and off at 6am everyday. one day 7pm, one day 9pm etc. I guess what I am saying is, cars+dogs barking but no lights= still robbed more than any house with nice bright light.
But would you say car prowling of cars parked outside occurs much more frequently than actual house break-ins? Certainly appears to be the case here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House