Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 05:59 PM

506 posts, read 2,279,474 times

Advertisements

my swing set is starting to look old and worn out..i was wondering what type of stain and what type of prep work , how many coats and what should i use to apply it with, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 06:25 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
Check out publication 323 and 324 from the CPSC: Playground Safety Publications

Old 04-08-2008, 11:35 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
There are three basic categories of outdoor wood stains: opaque, semi-transparent, and transparent. The more transparent stains show the natural coloring and grain of the wood. However, the more opaque stains last the longest. Transparent stains last a maximum of a year, which is worse than useless in my book. Plus, when transparent stains start to fail, the flakes turn into little daggers that will easily embed into the skin of tiny hands. So my recommendation is to go with a good opaque stain so that you can do this once, and forget about it for several years.

The hands-down best opaque stains are by Cabot, and come in a wide array of colors. I personally like the Redwood or New Redwood colors. As far as prep, just follow the directions on the can. Pretty much you just need to remove any peeling old finish that might be there. A rented power washer makes really quick work of that. If you don't have old peeling finish, then you don't need to power wash. If the wood looks really clean, you might be good to go. Otherwise, use deck wash, and scrub the wood with a deck brush. Rinse, allow to dry, and you're set to paint. You can apply the deck stain with a short roller on a long poll, so you don't even need a ladder. Or use a regular brush, or even spray it on. Although brushing is really best. If you spray or roll, you may still want to even out the coat with a brush. One coat will do you, but two is even better.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:31 PM

506 posts, read 2,279,474 times
Default thanks for the info

i really appreciate it.....................

Old 04-08-2008, 02:15 PM

And thank for the rep, Westchester! I had a huge deck on the back of my home on top of Buckberg mountain in Tomkins Cove, NY that I did in Cabot Redwood. Then, I inherited a free Rainbow playset that I finished the same way. Both looked and wore great after that. I did a lot of research into outdoor finishes at that time. You can probably see the playset from your house if you stand on your tippy toes and look across the river.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester View Post
my swing set is starting to look old and worn out..i was wondering what type of stain and what type of prep work , how many coats and what should i use to apply it with, thanks
You will want to find some sort of refinisher to clean it up. Perhaps oxalic acid based. I see nothing wrong with a clear coat.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:20 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester View Post

We used opaque for reasons mentioned by others. Our swingset got direct sunlight ALL DAY, every day. Honestly, I'd have to go and look and see what brand/color, but I will attach a picture. Even after 1 year, it looked great. As far as prep, we just washed it down and scrubbed the bird poop off.

Here's a pix..I can find out the brand and color if you'd like...

eta - we only used 1 coat!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:30 PM

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 16,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
We used opaque for reasons mentioned by others. Our swingset got direct sunlight ALL DAY, every day. Honestly, I'd have to go and look and see what brand/color, but I will attach a picture. Even after 1 year, it looked great. As far as prep, we just washed it down and scrubbed the bird poop off.

Here's a pix..I can find out the brand and color if you'd like...

eta - we only used 1 coat!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96...e/aug05009.jpg
How many gallons did that take?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House