Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 08:41 AM

924 posts, read 1,020,159 times

Advertisements

Hi all looking for some advice on adding subway tiles to painted/textured dry wall. I just need some advice for the type of thinset to use if anyone has any knowledge on this.

Homedepot just mentioned, porcelain thinset is good enough as long as I sand paper the wall.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...MW50/202519208

just wondering if thats a go for me. I mean I wouldnt be nervous if I was doing it on backerboard, but the fact the wall is textured and painted has be a little nervous although seems many tile-rs do this (like the kitchen)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 11:03 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Hi all looking for some advice on adding subway tiles to painted/textured dry wall. I just need some advice for the type of thinset to use if anyone has any knowledge on this.

Homedepot just mentioned, porcelain thinset is good enough as long as I sand paper the wall.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...MW50/202519208

just wondering if thats a go for me. I mean I wouldnt be nervous if I was doing it on backerboard, but the fact the wall is textured and painted has be a little nervous although seems many tile-rs do this (like the kitchen)

Sand the wall with a medium grit sandpaper then clean the area with a moistened sponge and you should have a good substrate for the adhesive and tile. Use the correct sized notched trowel recommended for the tile and you should be good to go.

The primary reason for sanding is to remove any surface contaminates that could cause prevent the thinset from adhering.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:25 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
This is a "dry" wall?

I'd just use mastic- wash the wall to remove dust, dirt, or other contaminants; let dry, set tile. No need to sand, the texture of the wall will actually help with adhesion.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:58 PM

cool thank you all!! yep! its a drywall with texture and paint. Yes, definitely going to sand and clean up the wall.

As far as the the thinset mortar goes, is that good enough, or is there another mix I should be using? Ive done tile before, but only on cement and backerboard. never painted drywall so im unsure the type of thinset mortar I should use

Old 01-14-2019, 03:12 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
cool thank you all!! yep! its a drywall with texture and paint. Yes, definitely going to sand and clean up the wall.

As far as the the thinset mortar goes, is that good enough, or is there another mix I should be using? Ive done tile before, but only on cement and backerboard. never painted drywall so im unsure the type of thinset mortar I should use
You do not need an additive or bonding agent, just a clean wall and a decent thinset.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
You do not need an additive or bonding agent, just a clean wall and a decent thinset.
thank you very much!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House