U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 04:33 PM

4,524 posts, read 5,044,897 times

Advertisements

Talking about the conventional oven. We once had one stopping functioning. Don't know the cause, only remember it had been once kept on for 3-4 hours on about 450F and the food were totally burned because we forgot it's on and went out for a while ). After several failed attempts to fix it by the repairman, it's replaced by a new one. Since then, I'm wary about using it on either very high temperature (say 500F) or for too long.

So, how often do you use your oven? Will it shorten its life if I bake bread on 450-500F every single day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 04:50 PM

9,936 posts, read 7,687,570 times
No. Long cooking times at high temperatures do not damage ovens. Ovens are made for this. Google the temperature used for the self cleaning cycle.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:29 PM

10,977 posts, read 19,385,994 times
Most appliances don't seem to last as long as they used to, and replacement parts can often cost as much as a new appliance.

I use my oven every day, just about. My last one lasted 7 years. It was a very basic Whirlpool and I kept having to replace the infinite switches for the burners. When the oven thermostat went out, I decided to upgrade to a better stove/oven. I use this one daily as well, and hope to get at least ten years out of it.

Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM

8,143 posts, read 7,821,004 times
Simplistically, using any device frequently will cause it to wear out sooner than if you use it infrequently. Ovens are not anexception to this rule, so if you use your oven every day, you will need to replace it, or parts of it, sooner than if you used it once a month.

The real question is whether the use degrades the device significantly, and in the case of an oven, that answer is no. Ovens are designed to heat at 450-500 for several hours on the self clean cycle. That should not burn them out. Baking bread isn’t even that hard on an oven. For bread you need 450 for an hour or so, and that isn’t a big deal at all.

I use my oven a lot. I have dual wall ovens, and I have them in use simultaneously once a week or so, but the top oven, which I find more convenient, is used 3-5 times a week. In the last week, I have baked bread, made biscuits, roasted a chicken, roasted potatoes,

My ovens are 17 years old and going strong.

If you want to use your oven every day, go for it. What is the alternative? Wishing you could bake, but buy8ng a loaf of bread instead?

Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM

66,993 posts, read 67,992,215 times
we have to much stored in our oven to ever use it . it looks like a gym locker .

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM
Status: "43 restaurants within 6 blocks of my house" (set 28 days ago)

13,491 posts, read 19,236,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we have to much stored in our oven to ever use it . it looks like a gym locker .
Does it smell like a gym locker?

P.S. Use the self clean function to reduce the clutter.

Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

24,439 posts, read 31,666,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Talking about the conventional oven. We once had one stopping functioning. Don't know the cause, only remember it had been once kept on for 3-4 hours on about 450F and the food were totally burned because we forgot it's on and went out for a while ). After several failed attempts to fix it by the repairman, it's replaced by a new one. Since then, I'm wary about using it on either very high temperature (say 500F) or for too long.

So, how often do you use your oven? Will it shorten its life if I bake bread on 450-500F every single day?
No, it is meant to be used as often as you need.

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM

19,823 posts, read 13,057,123 times
I’ve never had problems running an oven on high heat. If you bought a self cleaning oven, it should be able to run a long time, and at high heat, for several hours.

However, you don’t need to do that for most foods.

Just remember to turn it iff when done.

Ovens are meant to be used.

Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM

17,096 posts, read 52,196,491 times
My oven gets used a lot. The one caveat I have is that thermostats are not to be trusted. Invest in a decent oven thermometer and make a chart of the real vs. set temperatures. I'm betting a lot of people give up on baking because they think they can't do it, when the real problem is the oven not keeping proper temps. My tstat was fine until after a couple self-clean cycles.

Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

10,843 posts, read 3,528,691 times
I use mine almost daily. The problem is they are not made well like they used to be and won't last 30 years anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or