Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 09:59 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

Meh....I always wear swim wear when I'm in the hot tub, maybe because it's attached to the pool. No inclination on my part to step out of the house naked...and I'm no prude by any means, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 10:05 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Perhaps shade sail custom-fit on the top that you can furl/unfurl.
Where did you get this sail?

I've been looking for sails and like this one.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:45 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
This is the thread I was referring to in my other post. It's actually from 2015. Some pretty interesting points of view.

Naked homeowner in view of neighbors. Should this be legal?

Old 01-25-2019, 12:12 PM

601 posts, read 458,997 times
Reading this tread makes me miss the years I spent in Germany with the Army. There nudity is just not a big deal at all. No one freaks out if a child sees a nude adult. It's a more grown up attitude if you ask me.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:42 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Can anybody comment on the legalities here? Seems like I ought to be able to do what I want in my own house and property. Related to this, if I'm naked in my house and somebody sees it looking through a window, do they have any claim to object? Comments welcome.[/quote]

————————————————†”————————————————⠀”———————————————— —————-

This reminded me of something that my dad used to say, “If I was naked in my living room, and a female neighbour saw me through the window, I’d be arrested for indecent exposure, but if I walked past her house, glanced in, and saw her naked, I’d be arrested as a voyeur, or Peeping Tom.â€

Old 01-25-2019, 02:23 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Can anybody comment on the legalities here? Seems like I ought to be able to do what I want in my own house and property. Related to this, if I'm naked in my house and somebody sees it looking through a window, do they have any claim to object? Comments welcome.
As far as I know, none of us are attorneys in your city. IANAL, either. To get the answer, you would need to check into the public nudity laws at 3 levels of government for where you live: city, state and county.

Even if you do that, the problem with that is, laws change. The city council or the state legislature gets a bee in its bonnet about some issue and decides to enact or toughen the penalties for that issue. So the legal answer you find today might be different a year from now.

That's why I think the best solution is the visual barrier. If you eliminate the possibility of breaking the law, you won't have to fear the punishment for breaking the law. Plus, by taking preventive action, you will have the legal defense of having made a "good faith effort" to avoid breaking the law. That would be useful in a legal defense.

IOW... close the curtains!

Old 01-25-2019, 02:49 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I have a hot tub in my back yard that's used mostly in winter after skiing or outdoor activities. It's our household custom to use it in the nude. I often have house guests who happily follow this practice.

Here's the scenario. Local lots are small but separated by a 6' wood board fence so there's no visibility at all from yard to yard at ground level. The tub itself is pretty private with a privacy screen. The screen is not 100% obscuring however, so one neighbor could conceivably get a very brief above-the-waist glimpse when somebody is getting in/out of the tub. To do this they'd have to be looking from one specific, second story window and even then they'd only get a view for a fraction of a second when somebody's getting in or out. For men this isn't much of an issue, but they'd likely get a quick flash of boobs.

This doesn't trouble me much since these neighbors are in their 80's and never seem to go up to that 2nd floor room. However, they do have relatives, grandchildren etc from time to time, so I can't entirely dismiss the possibility of being seen. It doesn't seem like a stretch to imagine mischievous grandkids perched at the window with binoculars - "Hey, the neighbors are going out to the hot tub! Let's wait for them to get out!" I also have reason to believe that they're quite religious/conservative (I live in Utah, do the math).

Can anybody comment on the legalities here? Seems like I ought to be able to do what I want in my own house and property. Related to this, if I'm naked in my house and somebody sees it looking through a window, do they have any claim to object? Comments welcome.
I am not sure why you are asking us. Most of us do not live in your state or county or whom ever is responsible for such rules.

A better way to find out about this would be to contact your local township - or ask an attorney.

If you are just announcing to everyone that you enjoy being nude in your hot tub, which is what I suspect, I don't care. I can't see you.

In secluded areas, I am sure it is done. Where I live, every one has a half to a third of an acre. I wouldn't do it, except in a swim suit.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:04 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
Reading this tread makes me miss the years I spent in Germany with the Army. There nudity is just not a big deal at all. No one freaks out if a child sees a nude adult. It's a more grown up attitude if you ask me.
I know what you mean but in all fairness ALOT of nude people in Europe look better with clothes on.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:21 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I have a hot tub in my back yard that's used mostly in winter after skiing or outdoor activities. It's our household custom to use it in the nude. I often have house guests who happily follow this practice.

Here's the scenario. Local lots are small but separated by a 6' wood board fence so there's no visibility at all from yard to yard at ground level. The tub itself is pretty private with a privacy screen. The screen is not 100% obscuring however, so one neighbor could conceivably get a very brief above-the-waist glimpse when somebody is getting in/out of the tub. To do this they'd have to be looking from one specific, second story window and even then they'd only get a view for a fraction of a second when somebody's getting in or out. For men this isn't much of an issue, but they'd likely get a quick flash of boobs.

This doesn't trouble me much since these neighbors are in their 80's and never seem to go up to that 2nd floor room. However, they do have relatives, grandchildren etc from time to time, so I can't entirely dismiss the possibility of being seen. It doesn't seem like a stretch to imagine mischievous grandkids perched at the window with binoculars - "Hey, the neighbors are going out to the hot tub! Let's wait for them to get out!" I also have reason to believe that they're quite religious/conservative (I live in Utah, do the math).

Holy crap Kletter1mann... we Utahans can't handle this kind of salacious behavior!

I have a rule... if it's worth paying to look at, it's art and if it's not, it's a misdemeanor. Um... plan accordingly?

Old 01-25-2019, 03:29 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
You're making a good faith effort to keep things private so I wouldn't worry about it. There was a thread somewhere on this forum about 2 years ago about a guy who was standing in his open front door in the nude so everyone could see, even when children were walking past the house. People commenting about it were split almost evenly between those who thought he had the right to do whatever he wanted to on private property and those who thought the cops should at least talk to him and give him a warning(if not worse), since children often walked past the house. I think in the end all the cops could do was talk to him because technically it wasn't illegal, but he didn't stop doing it. This is nothing so blatant, so I doubt you'd even have the cops to stop by and warn you. But then again this is Utah in this case so who knows?
Was this in Rhode Island and was the guy's name Richard Hatch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House