Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 10:50 AM

9 posts, read 46,944 times

Advertisements

My 80 year-old mother suffered a massive stroke at the beginning of the month, so my 81 year-old father has been exhaustively caring for her, traveling 2 hours daily to her hospital, managing her acute care placement, doctors, insurance and so on, for the past 3 weeks. From out of state, I hired a (uninsured) housekeeper to come clean their home to help him at this time. I hired a moron, apparently, as she stood in their undermount kitchen sink in order to "reach for something". The sink dislodged from the counter (Ceasarstone) and had to be reinstalled. Normally my dad would take this on himself, but exhausted and time-stricken, he called a local plumber (Indiana). They reattached the sink (using silicone caulk and a car jack) and at the same time, replaced an old Sinkerator that needed replacing. I had in my mind an absolute MAXIMUM of 800 bucks for this job...and having lived in NYC for 27 years and now Chicago, and going through two complete kitchen renos, I thought I'd be close, if not pleasantly surprised by a lower smaller-town cost.

Got the bill. He was billed $1,611.58...more than 3 times the national average for an undermount sink install per google, with $1,229 of that being labor costs, including "Service call for first hour including travel to job".

Is this in any way reasonable? I was utterly stunned and then angered by it. It feels like they jacked my elderly father for this in a big way, but before I attempt to fight it, am I right?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 10:54 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Too high by half, even counting for travel and "emergency" time and $200 for a GD.

I don't know what you can do about it.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:03 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
See if your state's attorney general has anything to say about it.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
See if your state's attorney general has anything to say about it.
Many states and cities have elder protection agencies or groups as well.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:43 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,585 times
Why in the world didn't you get an estimate before work started? I would NEVER approve a plumber to do work before knowing what the cost would be.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:50 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokilissa View Post
...she stood in their undermount kitchen sink
The sink dislodged from the counter

called a local plumber (Indiana).
They reattached the sink
at the same time, replaced an old Sinkerator that needed replacing.

I had in my mind an absolute MAXIMUM of 800 bucks for this job...
That's about right.

Quote:
He was billed $1,611.58...
Is this in any way reasonable?
No.

The $800 lesson you're getting here?
Have a plumber (and HVAC and Electrician etc) to call BEFORE something breaks.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:59 AM

9 posts, read 46,944 times
I'm not even in the same state...I had hired the housekeeper, learned about the sink and that plumbers were there fixing it the next day. And again, our family, especially my elderly dad, is processing a pretty significant trauma right now. I think my dad had used them years before and likely trusted them. He probably thought they'd give him an honorable bill...he's old school like that.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
Why in the world didn't you get an estimate before work started? I would NEVER approve a plumber to do work before knowing what the cost would be.
Elder customer, in a fluster, distracted by slightly more important things, possibly all left to let-in person... plumber saw his chance and took it.

Which is why someone really needs to give him a solid wedgie on this.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:49 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
P.S. The silicone caulk is unlikely to hold for a decent length of time.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
P.S. The silicone caulk is unlikely to hold for a decent length of time.
I am ass/u/ming that the caulk was for sealing and that new anchors were drilled and installed.

But then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House