Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:17 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
My H says I treat laundry like a science more than an art form.

I even have subsets for the whites/lights/darks rule:

Whites/towels - Hot/cold (wash/rinse) unless meant for cold water wash (such as linens, rayons, delicates)

Lights - warm/cold

Darks - warm/cold unless meant for cold water

Bedsheets/bed linen - all to themselves in hot/cold

Under each, sort by lint givers and lint receivers; for example, towels, sweat pants or anything terry are lint givers. Do not mix with lint receivers (wool sweaters). So, don't even wash the dark towels with H's dark pants or you'll find the lint depositing on the receiving fabric.

Pay special attention to the lint rule in the dryer!
Bibit- you and I could do one another's laundry!! I have the same rules as you . . . including the lint rule, LOL.

I will add - even w/the lint rule, I turn things inside out. This will reduce the friction, thus no pilling w/ sweatshirts . . . and with dark pants (like my black jeans or DH's navy cotton pants) turning them inside out makes sure if there is any lint on anything - it won't end up on the outside of the pants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 02:12 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I'll second the "don't use too much detergent" motion. I'm always amazed at how dirty the final rinse water looks sometimes when it's pumping into the sink. Try cutting back on soap; also, you can rinse again if the clothes don't seem rinsed well.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:51 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Bibit- you and I could do one another's laundry!! I have the same rules as you . . . including the lint rule, LOL.

I will add - even w/the lint rule, I turn things inside out. This will reduce the friction, thus no pilling w/ sweatshirts . . . and with dark pants (like my black jeans or DH's navy cotton pants) turning them inside out makes sure if there is any lint on anything - it won't end up on the outside of the pants.
Hey, galpal, the big test of whether we could do each other's laundry is whether we FOLD them the same way! Y'know, my sister, my mother and I, as well as a friend who lives in Indian Trail all fold towels differently. I fold the Martha Stewart way! I guess that's why it's never a good thing to have more than one adult woman in the household! LOL! My mom used to get po'd when I would refold the towels (and most everything else she folds), and they all have to go in one way in the closet...folded edge facing out! Ohhhhh I could go on forever about laundry!

Old 04-11-2008, 04:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Hey, galpal, the big test of whether we could do each other's laundry is whether we FOLD them the same way! Y'know, my sister, my mother and I, as well as a friend who lives in Indian Trail all fold towels differently. I fold the Martha Stewart way! I guess that's why it's never a good thing to have more than one adult woman in the household! LOL! My mom used to get po'd when I would refold the towels (and most everything else she folds), and they all have to go in one way in the closet...folded edge facing out! Ohhhhh I could go on forever about laundry!
ROFL - I only put them away - folded edge out - and do a 3 fold, so if that is how you like your towels, we are twins, separated at birth! LOL!!! However, I think Miss Martha does a different fold so that towels are ready to go on towel holders. I fold mine w/ a 3 fold so they sit nicely in my linen closet.

I don't want anyone messing w/ my laundry cause they mess it up! I like things folded a certain way, too. . . I expect everyone to put their stuff away!!! But no one does laundry in my house but me . . . and truly - it is the one chore I do not mind doing.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:49 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I do laundry as a rule every 3 weeks (sometimes 2 weeks in winter because clothes are bigger/heavier) - there are only two of us: I do one load of dark (I turn black pants, etc. inside out. (cold), one load of medium/pastels (cold), one load of towels, including dish cloths, dish towels, etc. (warm/cold), and one load of whites (hot/warm or cold) - we have extra sheets so I only do those together every other month or so. I also sometimes have a whole separate load of blue jeans.

On the infrequent times I've used flannel sheets on the bed(s) - they get washed themselves (lint issues).

We have large washer/dryer capacities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House