Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 01:47 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

I prefer top loader. We bought a whirlpool washer and dryer in Feb 2016. In the past I only owned Whirlpool everything. Have had real good luck so far not having problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 01:50 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
List price. We paid $4783 for washer/dryer + pedestals + tax + installation (delivery, removal, install, all parts).
Discounts on Miele are rare, but I do see that AJ Madison has them on sale right now.

The price is high because Miele is the best washer. And, because they are German and can get away with charging what they charge.
But, if you compare it with a LG Signature TurboWash Series, you will see a similar price.

The Miele products are not for everyone as they are compact size. Fine for a family of 1-3. Not for 4+.
Miele supposedly last longer.
My major problem with LG is that it appears (based upon my experience) you cannot repair them after 6+ years. They become a throwaway item.
Wow. A bit out of my price range. It's only the two of us, but we have large dogs that generate a lot of dirty bedding. I think I'll be getting a Speed Queen. The local independent appliance store says they have worked some of the bugs out of the newest iteration of the most recent model.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:04 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,417,821 times
wow this is interesting. My clothes, using the Whirlpool front loader smell lovely. no issues whatsoever.
I do wipe the gasket thing out and do not shut the door after use.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:22 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times
I know of a friend of mine that bought a $2000.00 Maytag front loader washer and a dryer that only lasted over a year and half and the computer board went bad in both.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:28 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
My stepson is looking at the possibility of replacing their washer and dryer, he has read about the many brands of washers and also investigating the pros and cons of front load VS top load. After some reading this A.M. I'm convinced that many of the review sites are in the pocket of the manufacturer and make statements that support one type over the other without mentioning a biased hidden agenda.

Just wondering what the real-time experiences are of those who own late model washers and whether they are performing as well as the sales reviews claim..
Top loaders will give more capacity for the money. A Maytag Commercial Series (700 series?) can be had for hundreds, whereas a brand new Samsung front loader is well over $1,000.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:38 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,959,249 times
I just got a new set of front loaders.. but you need to be a IT tech to use it. I’ve seen less controls on planes I’ve flown. Lol
If there’s an issue with the machine.. there’s a little square that you tap your phone on and it diagnoses the problem.... right on your phone! It also tosses your laundry around to balance the load... before it even starts adding water.
I got tired of my top loader because being short... I was always in danger of falling inside, head first while trying to retrieve the laundry at the bottom of the tub. Lol
The new washer spins at such a high rpm that the clothes practically feel dry when they come out, and.. it makes for less dryer time. So far... I am pretty happy with the new appliances.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:18 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
My stepson is looking at the possibility of replacing their washer and dryer, he has read about the many brands of washers and also investigating the pros and cons of front load VS top load. After some reading this A.M. I'm convinced that many of the review sites are in the pocket of the manufacturer and make statements that support one type over the other without mentioning a biased hidden agenda.

Just wondering what the real-time experiences are of those who own late model washers and whether they are performing as well as the sales reviews claim..
Very good question.

Having replaced my washing machine last year, let me fill you in on a few things. First off, todays washing machines are nothing even close to the Kenmores you bought in the 1990's or before. Not even close. Secondly, these machines' mechanisms and cycles are almost exclusively designed for front load only. This means that if you like a top loader (like I do) you must be very careful what you get. Almost all of today's top loaders are not capable of washing one plush towel without moving all over the room or just plain falling apart. I found that the "HE" logo on a top loader means stay away! Best I can advise here is buy a GE and buy it at Lowe's. Roper may be OK too. These are low to mid priced top loaders and have some mechanism involved in the spin cycle to automatically even up a load. The "HE" logo ones don't (not to mention those are so stingy on water they won't wash your clothes!). You buy it at Lowes because Lowes has a no questions asked return policy (30 days) and they'll ship out another model to you if you hate the first one or the second one, no questions asked. I had 3 delivered and the 3rd one (a GE) was satisfactory. The first two were disasters (one a Whirlpool, the second one I don't recall what brand). The first two were incapable of spinning without clunking around and dancing across the room (with normal to small sized loads). These are topload washers with frontload - designed mechanisms which do not work in a top loader.

The reviews on the Lowe's site are helpful regardless of whether you go top load or front load. The clerk in the store will reveal nothing useful.

Somebody is storytelling. I could not find an authentic commercial Maytag for anything less than $1200. Most of the ones I ran across were used. A new one is 2 grand.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:10 PM

134 posts, read 113,488 times
We like a front load washer as it is gentler on your clothes. I think the top brands are all about the same. Try checking Consumer Reports; they rate washers and dryers.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:58 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortezC View Post
We like a front load washer as it is gentler on your clothes. I think the top brands are all about the same. Try checking Consumer Reports; they rate washers and dryers.
Newer top loaders do not have the classic agitator that rises to the top of the drum. These are good as well.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:03 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,006,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I have a top loading GE washer with an agitator that goes back and forth and I have the same problem with large items such as sheets getting into a twisted knot. I have to stay with it, stop the washer a couple of times and untwist the sheets on both the wash and rinse cycles to get the sheets clean. Pain in the neck!

Is there a washer out there that works better than this?
...get one without an agitator?

Our top loader doesn't have one and it helps eliminate this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House