U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-10-2008, 08:08 PM

2,973 posts, read 4,762,538 times
Default removing kitchen faucet

Does anyone have any advice on removing a kitchen faucet? We are trying to replace ours, and can't get the old one out! It attached from the bottom of the sink, and it seems the nut is rusted on. My husband is ready to give up, but I hate the faucet and want a new one! Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 08:40 PM

3,020 posts, read 16,301,091 times
Default Yep, does happen......

Yep, sometimes the nuts do corrode badly.

1. It depends if you have the proper tools to some extent. Good basin wrench is usually a must. You don't say what tools are being used. Basin wrench allows working in the confined space and getting a good grip and lots of torque. Usually this is enough to get most nuts off. Might take some time but it works if you can get it to move and then lube it. Also can use a cheater pipe on the basin wrench handle if it is a quality one and get tons of torque.

Ridgid 31180 Model 1019 1-1/4" to 2-1/2" Telescoping Basin Wrench

2. If step one fails, you can try penetrating oil and wait a day or too and try again. Lot of times that works. Heat from a torch is good but must be very careful in doing it.

3. If step two fails, usually you go in with a mini grinder and cut the nut to free it. Who cares if you destroy the old faucet in the process, just don't cut into the sink. Easy does it.

4. If step three fails, usually you have to remove the sink and get at it in that direction. Once you have the sink out the olde monkey wrench applied with lots of arm power does the trick.

The big secret if there is any is a good quality basin wrench and lots of patience. A nice working light is also high on the list. Can't fix it, if you can't see it.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the advice, I will pass it along to my husband. Sounds like we don't have the proper tools. The nut just seems to spin. He is using a regular wrench, and it seems like he can get a grip okay, but I wonder if the threads are stripped. Seems like if it was rusted on, we wouldn't be able to move it. We gave up for the night. The sawsall (sp) came out, and I thought my sink was a gonner!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 PM

3,020 posts, read 16,301,091 times
Default Sounds like getting serious.......

Sawzall is way over kill. Sink may be the goner. Maybe somebody's hand too.

The best thing if you have to cut it off is one of them mini-grinders, like a Dremel with a diamond blade. Blade is round, tad smaller than a quarter. You typically make a cut at a deep angle to the nut, like 45 degrees and try to stay well out on the edge, not cutting all the way thru, then twist it and it typically breaks. Sometimes you cut in two places, on either side. About like trying to get a car muffler off without destroying the World.

Precision is very in. You need it small and precise, easy does it. Trick is to keep all your fingers, wear eye protection. Let the tool do the work. Keep the collateral damage under a $1000.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:29 AM

3,517 posts, read 8,553,219 times
Good advice from Cosmic. I tried the same things. I changed two of them, both were leaking so I needed to change them out. I ended up pulling my sink and replacing the whole thing. Once I figured out I had to pull the sink, it was an easy decision to replace since I didn't like the old sink anyway. I'm much happier with my new faucet and deep basin sink. Did my mother a favor and ended up on the same path. She liked her old sink fine, but after pulling it, I could not get the old faucet off. She also likes the new sink a lot better as it has a deeper basin and wider basins in the same footprint. Better to do that than heroics that may end up destroying a lot of other stuff.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:30 AM

1,374 posts, read 5,002,888 times
I would repeat one thing Cosmic said...eye protection..

You're looking upward and it seems as though whenever you're working in that position your eyes become magnets for every little speck of crud,wood splinter, metal chips etc...

wear them...they're cheap protection...

Old 04-13-2008, 09:40 AM

Thank you all for your advice. My husband purchased a basin wrench and a dremell tool (which he has wanted to a while now). Now we are enjoying a new kitchen faucet. When the sawzall came out, I immediately told him it was time to quit for the night! A new sink is one thing, but a new arm or fingers would certainly put a damper on our plans!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:15 AM

2 posts, read 38,829 times
yes, it's a nice advice, if your faucets can't work, of course you can get a new faucets. my friends share with me a good place,[url]http://luckyfaucet.cn[/url] you can read for some help.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:22 AM

2 posts, read 38,829 times
Default cheap and good bathroom faucet

bathroom faucet do not just serve as a functional piece of the bathroom.A durable and stylish bathroom faucet or kitchen faucet blends together function and aesthetics. The well made faucet makes life a lot easier. Excellent valve mechanism and more durable finishes boost longevity and looks. Whether you are looking for classic country or ultra modern, there's a faucet design to fit your style.

Moderator Cut... Advertising

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-24-2008 at 08:58 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 15,336 times
Do they make a kitchen Faucet designed to fit or install in a deep basin sink
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House