Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 08:05 AM

29 posts, read 33,439 times

Advertisements

I have an older type of water valve with the water line rigid and soldered to the valve. See link

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questi...-to-the-shutof

I am replacing the faucet and i want to try to reuse the same but i may need to cut it and bend it to the right position. Whats the proper way to cut and bend these lines without cracking them? heat?
thanks

Last edited by andreadebiase; 04-03-2019 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: url change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 08:36 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
Use a flexible connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Faucet water feeding lines, how to bend?-hqdefault.jpg  

Old 04-03-2019, 08:44 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreadebiase View Post
I have an older type of water valve with the water line rigid and soldered to the valve. See link

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questi...-to-the-shutof

I am replacing the faucet and i want to try to reuse the same but i may need to cut it and bend it to the right position. Whats the proper way to cut and bend these lines without cracking them? heat?
thanks

They need to be bent around a curved guide to prevent kinking.

You can spend a lot of money on a big professional stand-based tool.

There are various sizes of hand benders that run $25-$100

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6515-Degr...fsclp_pl_dp_11

But there is this kind of tool that controls the bending within a spring body:

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools...fsclp_pl_dp_15

Or you can get real cheap and just carefully, carefully, carefully bend it around some kind of strong pipe or tube such as an appropriate diameter of PVC pipe.

Edit: LOL. The filter won't allow the word j-i-g, so I changed it to "tool."

Old 04-03-2019, 09:15 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreadebiase View Post
I am replacing the faucet and i want to try to reuse the same but...
but... it's not an amateur job.

If you're handy and have the time to practice and otherwise futz around with it all day. Try IT.
Most pro's will use the flex connector (as shown in image above) and move on to other tasks.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:31 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
It is highly recommended that re-using certain plumbing supplies is a hard- No.

Washers, gaskets, and seating materials (brass ferrules) get compressed to make a water tight seal- but once that seal is broken there is a high likelihood of it not sealing back properly when reattached.

There are several choices for "risers"/connectors- for most DIY'ers the SS flex lines are the simplest way to connect a faucet to supply valves. Just don't overtighten the connections- hand tight, plus a quarter turn is usually plenty for those flex lines.

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 04-03-2019 at 11:40 AM..

Old 04-03-2019, 12:45 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
The comment about ferrules is good advice.

If you REALLY want to do this- fill pipe with water- freeze- and bend around a form.

Caution- I have only read about this. I was able to borrow a tubing bender.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:34 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
I wouldn't reuse those little 1/4" lines. If the lines from the shutoff valve to the faucets are soldered to the valve, I'd cut them off at some distance above the valve and use the flexible lines with a compression fitting.

Also, it's just as likely you'll find out that the semi-hard lines are too short, but you'll only find that out after several hours of trying to make them reach up to the connections under the new faucet assembly. So avoid cursing and do it the easy way.

This project will also enable you to make three investments you will NOT regret:

1) compact tubing cutter (harder to use but will get into tight spaces)
2) Full size tubing cutter (I recommend Ridgid brand, but definitely not some el-cheapo thing, get a good one)
3) Basin wrench (this is the thing that allows you to get under the sink and loosen/tighten the nuts that hold the faucet assembly down to the sink).

Frankly, I'd buy an inspection mirror, extendible and with a swivel, at the same time, to reduce the amount of having to stand on your head. I use mine constantly for this kind of job.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:39 PM

69 posts, read 50,582 times
Looks to me like you have a valve connected to a 1/2" copper pipe, using a compression fitting.

You could remove the valve, leaving the nut and brass ring on the copper pipe, and simply turn a different valve onto it - one that uses a standard 3/8" flexible sink line fitting.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:22 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
but... it's not an amateur job.

If you're handy and have the time to practice and otherwise futz around with it all day. Try IT.
Most pro's will use the flex connector (as shown in image above) and move on to other tasks.
Another good idea is to install a quarter-turn ball valve as a shutoff, just before the flexible connector. They're so easy to flip open or closed and they don't have rubber washers to wear out. I flip them closed when I leave the house or go to bed, as I've had a couple of flex-connectors burst open on me and I don't trust them. This includes my toilet and washing machine, as well as sinks. But there's no other way for me to make my connections, without some serious pipe-bending work.

Years ago, there were narrow copper tubes that ran from the shutoff valves in my kitchen sink to the faucets. But they corroded and burst open. If a water line burst while you weren't in the house, it would be the same as if you were hit by a flood, minus the dirt that would come in.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:48 PM

29 posts, read 33,439 times
Thank you for the replies. I also don't like to re-use old lines and connections but because the lines from the valve to the faucet is the type soldered to the valve my only option was to bend them gently and adapt them to the new faucet in an attempt to try to remove and replace the valves.
I say WAS because unfortunately despite being careful in bending one of the lines it did crack so they are good only for garbage now. So now, my only option is to replace the valve and of course the nipple is not that long so hopefully i will be able to sit the new valve on the existing ferrule. If not i'll need to dig in to the wall and cut behind the existing ferrule so i can accommodate a new one. The story continues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House