Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 06:56 PM

724 posts, read 528,880 times

Advertisements

It’s a pretty decent deal. I know you’re just looking for confirmation of your annoyance, but the only thing that you’ve really got is the mess.

As for the forum, what’s your fixation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 06:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,531 posts, read 81,005,401 times
I’m not a tradesman but as a utilities manager in commercial real estate, That uses all of the trades often, I would consider that to be very reasonable here. All of the trades are charging at least double for these small jobs, because they would rather work on the big developments, high rise office and condo towers. As busy as they are, squeezing in a little project often means paying their people overtime.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:03 PM

16 posts, read 13,803 times
As someone who deals with it I appreciate your response.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:08 PM

No fixation, its my first post why would that be a fixation? Just noted that the first 2 posters have 23k posts and perhaps that means nothing but those (one at least) are generally how the troll posts go on a few forums.Ive been a memebr of a bunch of different stuff for more than a decade and some people just answer everything whether they know anything about it and many are almost always rude while saying they are helping.

Your response is even weird. No fixation, apparently I was on the wrong forum for my question. Ive showed my belly several times. i also know that many people cant tell in cases when they are talking to a paid troll. I dont think thats here, i dont know what the angle would be.

I was actually hoping people would tell me it was a great price and I can chalk it up to not having great repoir as he was kinda weird and quite. My wife said shady prior to this. IM also a bit of weirdo so I dont want to call people out for maybe not liking people.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:11 PM

14,456 posts, read 12,059,197 times
sheltered... if you want to do formatting code, use BBCode, not HTML.

You don't have to... the reply box is WYSIWYG

Old 04-09-2019, 07:14 PM

Perfect example of not being able to trust posts is the ebay forums. The worst case of paid trolls by the company that runs the forums more than likely but incredibly obvious. They say neh to every complaint and use narcissistic behavior buy turing everything around on the poster. They always have a million posts a day and crazy knowledge about stuff that only insiders know. So that peppers me terribly skeptical. Sorry about that.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:15 PM

I dont know what WYSIWYG means. I havent done anything but reply that I know of but i saw that too and not sure what I did to show code

Old 04-09-2019, 07:27 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,320,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltered View Post
<div>Agreed. I can actually do quite a lot myself and do but I also run a busy business so not much in the way of time. <br></div><div><br></div><div>Heres what makes it better.&nbsp; I took my outlet tester to the outlets I paid $360 to troubleshoot and ground.&nbsp; One he said was dead is actually ungrounded on the bottom and my glow pen shows life in the top but doesnt register on the outlet checker.&nbsp; Another outlet in that circuit is still ungrounded.&nbsp; So a few fixed, a few not and one told it was dead.&nbsp; I double checked befroe pulling the outlet and covering with a blank.&nbsp; <br></div><div><br></div><div>I called him to come straighten that out.&nbsp; Its one circuit that was all ungrounded and now its half ungrounded but told it was resolved and certainly was prorated for parts not grounded.&nbsp;...Well see if he calls me back.&nbsp; if I dont hear back maybe I'll put a stop on the check. I'll still pay but I want the work done satisfactorily.
Bad job totally changes everything: He might already cashed his check. If you stop the check- which I would consider- he may place a lien on your house, and you have to go to court to prevent that
Document everything: when you found out( didn’t inspector check anything?- I missed that part) even the time and day you called him, what conversation was about- right it in a separate notebook with all dates and comments; keep it on your phone( take screen shots)- you may need this info.
Other actions- building inspector? Document talks with him
Threaten to call your state licensing board or just file a complaint if he does not return your call.
You can take him to a small claims court- check your jurisdiction what is the amount in your small claims court.
Unless he has a lawyer on retainer- he won’t like going and waiting in court...

Old 04-09-2019, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the advice but thats too much for me to handle. He says hell come back and put a gfci in and cut the wires off the other. Now im just pissed that it was passed off as done and what was supposed to be dead is live and the other still ungrounded. So others think its cheap and maybe hes fast but if youre going to clean up on a homeowner, then at least do the job completely as now its weird.

Inspector came and signed it off but that didnt need an inspection as it were trouble shooting an existing circuit.

The whole thing just reaked of do as little as required even if that means not finishing or even alerting me it wasnt finished properly. I know not to trust strangers but this tends to be bad for everyone. Now I'll be overly analytical and not trust anyone.

Glad for him he made so much money from us. It doesnt look good for him.

Also I was asking any tradesman, what do you do when you overshoot an estimate so much. Do you just think you deserve $200+ an hour? Do you pay the permit fee? Or you dont care, its an agreement. When the building boom recession is over, I will probably still have work for people but every year I trust less and less and dislike humans more.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:39 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,429,049 times
It sounds like the guy didn't do a check of his own work and frankly he's an ahole for not cleaning up.

This crap is why I got out of HVAC service. I got tired of having to follow after Nummies and lazy people.

Tell the wife that some cookies will always get 15 minutes knocked off your bill and passed on to some lawyers.😁 At least if it was me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House