U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 02:28 AM

4,312 posts, read 1,365,131 times

Advertisements

There are a certain type of bug in my house for the past week about and the number is growing. Is it possible to ascertain where they are all coming from rather than call someone to fill the whole house with an airborne poison which seems like unhealthy overkill?

Cause if I find out where they are coming from then maybe I can just limit the poisonous destruction to the source and get them there, if this is possible somehow?

I tried googling it, and although google came up with ideas on how to get rid of bugs, I could find any ways on finding the source. By source, I mean they are most likely getting in through some hole in the walls or something and if I can just find that. I have approximated it to two rooms next to each other, but cannot find where they would be coming out of. Any ways to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 02:47 AM

36,302 posts, read 54,364,314 times
Well, take a picture of it so we can see what that is. Or find a picture on the Internet and post a link to it. Certain insects/bugs come from certain sources. Then we will recommend appropriate methods of destruction.
There are 91,000 insects/bugs in the US....
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:51 AM

You live with your parents, still - what did they say?
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-14-2019, 11:47 AM

4,312 posts, read 1,365,131 times
I asked my parents and others but no one knows the exact type. However, after looking at some photos, it's this bug:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sow+b...#imgrc=_&vet=1

Old 04-14-2019, 03:16 PM

6,128 posts, read 2,421,964 times
The pictures show different species of crustacean, not true insects. Both are native detritivores, very common, and harmless. They can squeeze through tiny crevices such as under or around doors. There are multiple entry points in a typical house. They prefer moister soil...maybe there is a place on the outside of those rooms where too much soil or decomposing leaf litter has piled up against a foundation wall or structural wood. They will tend to seek out the cooler wetter areas.

Some information about them:

https://www.thespruce.com/controllin...owbugs-2656428

Old 04-14-2019, 04:09 PM

11,204 posts, read 19,873,190 times
Pill bugs don't usually come inside the house.... Now I've found 3 centipedes in the last couple days.... ACK - HATE those things. House isn't damp at all and had an issue yrs. ago when I had an old basement door that didn't quite seal - door was replaced and nothing until this week. Flame thrower time LMAO

Old 04-14-2019, 08:53 PM

15,063 posts, read 19,423,578 times
Regarding the two rooms that you suspect, what is the flooring in those rooms? If it's tile or wood, there may be minute spaces between the floors and the baseboards through which small insects can get into the house.

They could also be entering through the switchplates and outlet covers.

You could just set off bug bombs in those rooms or throughout the house, which should take care of the problem.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I asked my parents and others but no one knows the exact type. However, after looking at some photos, it's this bug:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sow+b...#imgrc=_&vet=1
Which one?

Old 04-14-2019, 09:38 PM

4,494 posts, read 3,820,191 times
This might be a job for diatomaceous earth.

Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM

25,370 posts, read 32,342,398 times
Pillbugs do occasionally show up inside the home, but it is usually due to a really big gap somewhere, either in flooring or a rotted door frame or threshold. Also means there is too much moisture near the entrance. If you have a lot of them, then you definitely need to look into the source.

https://www.trulynolen.com/pest-iden...-pill-bugs.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or