Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 05:10 AM

305 posts, read 238,599 times

Advertisements

Walking barefoot on the ground allows you to connect with mother earth. It helps keep everything in sync. It allows for the free flow of energy to pass thru your body energizing you. That is why you have such fond memories as a child running thru the grass.

So kick off your shoes, tear off your socks and run, run or at least walk thru the grass and feel the earth underneath. It will make you feel wonderful.

Besides why don't you think dogs run barefoot? The dogs know.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 07:46 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
Yes. By the second month our feet are so tough it is not likely a tick would get through them. We have a gravel driveway so your have to get your feet toughened up quickly.

However in the warm months most of the time, if I am not wearing a suit, I am barefoot.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:10 AM

28,559 posts, read 18,556,261 times
Back around 1963, after my mother had bought me a set of World Book encyclopedia, I read the article on hookworms, said "Eff that!" and never walked barefoot outdoors again.

And this has recently come out about how hookworms gave the entire South a reputation for feeble-mindedness:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/articl...th-a-bad-name/

Old 04-15-2019, 09:37 AM

18,748 posts, read 11,707,041 times
I walk around barefoot all the time, but only on the side walks and decks. There are pine needles every where and wood chips are not fun to walk on. Neither is mud. I have no grass in my yard.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,585,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Back around 1963, after my mother had bought me a set of World Book encyclopedia, I read the article on hookworms, said "Eff that!" and never walked barefoot outdoors again.

And this has recently come out about how hookworms gave the entire South a reputation for feeble-mindedness:

Even worse is the guinea worm, found in some parts of Africa.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:44 AM

243 posts, read 263,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Does anybody do this?

If so then do you worry about ticks and other bugs? Do you take measures to keep them out of your backyard?

I ask b/c I'm renting now and I'm debating about buying a house vs condo. One of the things that I've kinda dreamed about was having a house with a nice little backyard and walking around barefoot. There's just something that feels so liberating about that and I've rarely ever had that opportunity.
Unless someone has been spraying roundup or using other types of chemicals in the backyard you would be greatly exposing yourself. I wouldn’t even take the chance FWIW

Old 04-15-2019, 12:47 PM

49,954 posts, read 63,265,686 times
I go barefoot a lot. Here, the only thing to watch out for are fire ants. We treat the lawn for them, and new hills are clearly visible, so not a big deal.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:19 PM

22,807 posts, read 18,088,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
Unless someone has been spraying roundup or using other types of chemicals in the backyard you would be greatly exposing yourself. I wouldn’t even take the chance FWIW
The more you attempt to repel or kill backyard bugs, the more you expose yourself to chemicals. You won't get rid of all of them but managing your landscape can go a long way. Guess the world is a horrible dangerous place no matter what you do! You can decide to creep around in fear or you can educate yourself about relative risk, accept it, and go on with your life.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:21 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,149,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

Unless you regularly have humans defecating in your yard, you won't get hookworms from walking barefoot in the usual suburban lawn.

You might step on something you don't like:

Grass burrs
Broken glass
thorns
Sharp rock
Dog or cat poo (or other animal)
Yellow jackets (they often nest in a hole in the ground).

And so on. The dog or cat poo washes off. All the rest I would prefer to avoid. But it's all pretty minor stuff, really.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:16 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,805,707 times
The only time I wear shoes is when I'm required to (by law). Otherwise if I'm home, I'm barefoot year round. The only time I got stung by something was when a wasp was crawling on my bed and I stretched out my leg and put my foot right on it.

I think a lot of it depends on where you live though. I grew up in the safe suburbs when I was a kid and I've been out on the West Coast for most of my life. Aside from rattlesnakes in California, there's not much else out here on the ground to hurt anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House