Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 07:35 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times

Advertisements

All the time when I was a kid, never hurt anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 07:57 PM

236 posts, read 195,585 times
Yes.....there is nothing like lovely green grass under your feet in early summer.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:21 PM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Ever since I got a wart on my toe from walking outside barefoot, I try not to do so anymore. But it does feel very good to do so.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:08 PM

1,199 posts, read 724,679 times
This is a recipe for hookworm. I don't walk indoors barefoot either

Old 04-16-2019, 01:37 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I am mid-50s and I love going barefoot. I really despise shoes. I grew up on a farm, and I always went barefoot, walking on gravel roads, in fields (hay fields were softer than straw fields, but I learned how to walk "with the grain"), on grass, in the garden. I only wore shoes when I had to go into the barns. Yes, my feet got dirty, but that's what water was for. Dirt washes off.

Now I live in suburbia, and I still go barefoot in my yard, in my garden, and to the mailbox. On really nice evenings, I've been known to walk around the block barefoot.

I was so excited when the snow was all melted prior to last Thursday's blizzard, because I was able to walk barefoot to my mailbox again! :-) Because it was not too cold (only in the 30s), I also actually stepped out into the snow barefooted on Thursday, dreaming of warmer days to come.

Going barefoot strengthens the muscles of the foot too.
Huh! Me too. The shoes came off in spring as soon as it was possible. After a winter of not going barefoot outside (we were always barefoot inside), some surfaces like gravel on the driveway hurt our feet but we persevered in order to toughen up our feet. It didn't take long to develop thick soles. I've stepped on a nail while exploring an old shed, and sometimes thistles got their thorns in my feet. Before bedtime our mother made us wash our feet and then we did it all over again.

I still do that. I'm barefoot in the house and only wear boots in the barn, and shoes where it would be socially unacceptable not to.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:48 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
I live in CA where bugs aren't an issue, but I've never worried about walking around barefoot anywhere I've lived, including Mexico, other than to just watch where I'm walking. I also keep aware of any mosquito season, etc. So just be smart for where you live, but otherwise enjoy the dirt/mud/sand between your toes.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:20 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Growing up and now once again living in Florida I would not go barefoot in my yard. I bought this house in 2017 and the yard is mostly weeds, sandspurs and what we call "hitchhikers". Redoing the yard is not on my priority list. Now if I had a lush green lawn I would love feeling the grass between my toes.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:24 PM

37,596 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Does anybody do this?

If so then do you worry about ticks and other bugs? Do you take measures to keep them out of your backyard?

I ask b/c I'm renting now and I'm debating about buying a house vs condo. One of the things that I've kinda dreamed about was having a house with a nice little backyard and walking around barefoot. There's just something that feels so liberating about that and I've rarely ever had that opportunity.
Absolutely. I love the feeling of thick grass under my feet. One more reason I don’t have a dog.

I keep my grass mowed so no worries about ticks.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:27 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,632,517 times
Just gross. I don’t get why anyone would go barefoot anywhere, even in the house, but especially not outside unless it’s right next to the pool and even then you have flip flops or whatever.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:56 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,722 times
I've gone barefoot in all four states I've lived in. One yard in particular was thick with ticks. Simply do a tick check when you go inside.

It was the ants that bothered me more. Our yard was pure sand which meant massive ant colonies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House