Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Shoes in your home: ON or OFF ?
Shoes OFF in our house. 55 56.70%
Shoes ON / OKAY in our house. 38 39.18%
Other, please elaborate. 4 4.12%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:35 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,949,714 times

Advertisements

I have a dog and am not the neatest person in the world...the last thing I'd be worried about is people's shoes in my place, though I do take off my own and leave them at the door.

I personally hate it when I'm asked to take my shoes off - it makes me feel like an intruder and like I should also watch how I sit on their sofa, or something! Also, I once went to a party with some people where we all had to take our shoes off - this one guy had the absolute smelliest feet I have ever smelled in my life; it was completely overpowering. The guy was mortified and so was everyone else, and really the party did not go well.

As for smoking - nobody can smoke in my apartment, and that includes me (because unfortunately I started again)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 09:58 AM

8,875 posts, read 13,873,105 times
Let me preface this by saying there is no right or wrong answer to the topic.

I do not ask guests to remove their shoes in my home. I'd rather take a chance on their wiped shoe sole versus whatever they brought in on their bare or stocking foot. (Not too mention odds are whatever stays on a sock or slipper after they visit the bathroom in the house will "hang on" more than on a leather or rubber shoe sole.)

When I visit others, I will not remove my shoes unless asked to. Even then I'll be sure to have a great time that visit because I will not be going back there again.

I wouldn't make a scene, but due to my feelings on the matter, I would just politely decline future invites and offer to meet at restaurants or clubs rather than in our homes.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:57 PM

134 posts, read 1,220,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
This is funny but I'm facing a bit of a dilemma..... My first visitors are coming to see me in my new place and I'm not sure if I should use the 'shoes off' or 'shoes on' rules with them. I have very light tan carpeting and white rugs in certain areas. Besides that, I LOVE to just lounge on the floor so I never walk around with shoes on. I have indoor slippers or something comfy like that to wear.

How do you (politely) enforce that rule? Should I just hold my breath during the visit and then vacuum like a mad woman after they leave? I'm always prepared to take my shoes off when I visit someones home but some people are put out by that and are kind of icked out at the thought of it. I don't want to put anyone on the spot, either.

How would you handle this?
I'd never ask a guest to remove their shoes unless they are entering my master bath/bedroom. Heck, some people's shoes may well be more sanitary than their feet, especially in Dallas where the sole of a shoe basically trods from home to vehicle to some indoor place.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:08 PM

98 posts, read 334,072 times
Everyone who comes to my home knows they have to take off their shoes. I tell them no shoes past the entry. They are not offended I have little kids and I don't want someone's gross shoe on my floors where my kids play.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:19 PM

35 posts, read 152,696 times
All you have to do is greet them outside the home. When you all walk in together, stop in front of them and blatantly take off your shoes. If your guests would not feel extremely uncomfortable by doing so, they will follow your lead. However, don't be surprised if someone is offended by this. Most likely, if its snowy or raining they'll take their shoes off because they know they are dirty, but otherwise shoes just don't get that dirty. These are not kids coming home from soccer practice (I hope).

Relax. I get it, I'm a neat freak too, but be normal, and don't freak them out. You want them to feel comfortable, and if they know you are such a neat freak, they are going to be worried they will spill something or do something wrong the entire time they are there.

Once I went to a new friends house for a poker night, and my friend's wife asked me to take off my shoes before I even entered the house, and wash my hands before I handled the cards!!! I never went back! WEIRD PEOPLE.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:43 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,731,417 times
we have no carpet in our house, since two years ago, so it doesnt matter now. (all vinyl)

Old 04-21-2008, 02:14 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,290,242 times
Talking Wow

I can not beleave this thread is still going strong. there are so many opinions. rock on with your shoes on or off. you can dance either way right ?

Old 04-21-2008, 06:13 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,570,442 times
I keep all my shoes in the garage and when I leave I put on a pair, when I get home they get taken off and left in the garage. When people visit, they most likely use my front door. Most of my friends and family know to remove their shoes after they come in the front door.

I have oatmeal berber carpet so the dirt shows quite easily. My carpet was somewhat worn when I bought my house almost 10 years ago. It really does need to be replaced so I'm not much of a stickler about the shoe thing. I just hate wearing them in the house so I don't.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:09 PM

327 posts, read 938,037 times
Thumbs up taking shoes off is cultural

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
I can not beleave this thread is still going strong. there are so many opinions. rock on with your shoes on or off. you can dance either way right ?
Funny, but nobody mentions slippers. I take shoes off and put slippers on. My friends take shoes off when they visit me and always ask for slippers in the winter time. During the summer time I don't wear slippers. This is cultural. I'm originally from Ukraine.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:13 PM

327 posts, read 938,037 times
Thumbs up not quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
I think we are done....
Not quiet. We'll rock'roll. But first, we have to take the shoes off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House