Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 08:50 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,314,638 times

Advertisements

Another possibility for the discomfort that your wife experienced wasn't the RF from the meter.
It may be a very high-pitched sound from the power supply for the electronics in the meter.
Some power supplies make a high pitched sound that only people with very good hearing can hear. It's tends to be heard only by very young people and women who haven't destroyed their own hearing playing music very loud with earbuds, playing with fireworks, shooting guns, or things like that.

It often does not register as a sound to the person who can hear it, but can still be annoying and headache inducing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 07:25 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Assuming all 12 meters are radiating in phase, which is likely since they all have the same AC power source, 12 meters would put out 12x more radiated emissions.
Depending on the manufacturer, most smart electric meters broadcast at 1/4 watt, up to 1 watt, with the transmission going away from the house. Since they use the same spectrum to communicate, there is often a randomization factor involved when they transmit, so they all are not transmitting at the same time. Some systems use a "pull" method, where an upstream device will query subtending meters, so the meters may only transmit a burst of information every four hours or so.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:23 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
The best way to avoid this would be to sleep in a Faraday cage. I recommend a stainless steel vacuum vessel, with all-metal seals.

You will want to pump it out to lower than 10^-8 atmospheres before sleeping, for best results.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:52 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
Another possibility for the discomfort that your wife experienced wasn't the RF from the meter.
It may be a very high-pitched sound from the power supply for the electronics in the meter.
Some power supplies make a high pitched sound that only people with very good hearing can hear. It's tends to be heard only by very young people and women who haven't destroyed their own hearing playing music very loud with earbuds, playing with fireworks, shooting guns, or things like that.

It often does not register as a sound to the person who can hear it, but can still be annoying and headache inducing.
Is this true? I have searched for several years to find out if wiring makes theses humming buzzing noises. I swear my home has the loudest buzzing all night long when it’s quiet. It comes through too he walls and I hear it in right through the pillows. I have to put on ocean waves to drown it out. My husband can’t hear it. I do hav every good hearing though, I keep the tv so low most people can’t hear it.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:01 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Is this true? I have searched for several years to find out if wiring makes theses humming buzzing noises. I swear my home has the loudest buzzing all night long when it’s quiet. It comes through too he walls and I hear it in right through the pillows. I have to put on ocean waves to drown it out. My husband can’t hear it. I do hav every good hearing though, I keep the tv so low most people can’t hear it.
Yes. Many modern power supplies are designed as "switching" power supplies for efficiency reasons. As the name suggests, these supplies switch on and off rapidly to regulate the output voltage/current. This switching action can cause "microphonics" meaning that some of the components can physically vibrate at the switching frequency. If these frequencies are in the normal audio hearing range a buzz or whistle can be heard.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:21 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
A few years ago, we rented a nice garden apartment, and just off of our bedroom were eight electric meters. Well into our lease, they swapped out some of the analog units for wireless (smart) meters.

The wireless meters gave my Wife quite a headache, and we wound up not renewing our lease.

We plan on relocating in the not so distant future, and in getting an apartment, we're going to try to look for something that's not on top of the electrical meters.

Unfortunately, we need to live on the first floor, and one bedroom units are oftentimes on the end of the buildings, and the exterior walls oftentimes have eight or twelve meters clustered together.

Is there a way to mitigate some of the RF coming off of the meters, in an apartment? Some of what I have read seems hokey, and RF detectors are cost prohibitive.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a reasonably priced, temporary, solution, that could be used in a garden apartment?

TIA
Too early to determine because wireless devices are still too new on the market, but not only smart meters can possibly affect your health but cell phones, cell towers, wi-fi, and other wireless devices can also affect you.
Smart Meter Health Complaints – EMF Safety Network

However: Some smart meters use "powerline networking" or "broadband over power lines" (BPL). That’s to say they use the electrical wiring to send back the data to the utility company.
Smart meters that function in this way do not emit a wireless signal but they introduce a form of electro-pollution on to your house wiring known as dirty electricity.

The other little known fact about smart meters is that typically they use switched mode power supply (SMPS). SMPS is supposed to offer better efficiency and reduced cost in conversion of electrical power. Unfortunately, it is also responsible for creating "noise" on house wiring, otherwise known as dirty electricity.
This is no small detail. So you may have a smart meter which is emitting radio frequency radiation AND dirty electricity OR it may just be emitting dirty electricity.
Therefore I would recommend checking the radiation level with a Radiation Detector before you spend money on the shield.
http://www.bioelectrix.com/smart-meters/

If you want to measure the radiation level, you can buy EMF Radiation Detector:
https://www.amazon.com/emf-meters/b?node=5011676011

It doesn't matter what others think about your concern. If YOU feel that the cluster of smart meters is affecting your or your wife's health, here you will find a few RF shield ideas:
https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/...ter-radiation/

Last edited by elnina; 04-29-2019 at 04:44 AM..

Old 04-29-2019, 09:58 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Quote:
A few years ago, we rented a nice garden apartment, and just off of our bedroom were eight electric meters. Well into our lease, they swapped out some of the analog units for wireless (smart) meters.

The wireless meters gave my Wife quite a headache, and we wound up not renewing our lease.
OP, I don't doubt that your wife has headaches, but I do wonder about the diagnosis. What made you think the cause was RF from the electric meters?

As others have suggested, you might want to eliminate the other potential causes first. Was there a seasonal component to the symptoms? Then it might be mold, pollen, dust or another allergen causing sinus inflammation and pressure, especially in a garden apartment. Did your wife's diet or medication change about the same time? Did you purchase something (e.g. a new mattress or pillow) that may have contained an allergen? Were there any stressful life events?

Humans in developed areas are pretty much surrounded by electrical and magnetic fields. Unless she spent almost all her time in your apartment, it's quite probable that in going about the normal activities of daily life your wife was exposed to RF and EMF levels much higher than in your home (e.g., in most buildings the electrical equipment is concealed in mechanical rooms. If EMF or RF truly is the cause of the symptoms, she should get headaches even when she can't see the meters or other electrical equipment.).

Old 04-30-2019, 11:16 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Here's an analysis of how different types of radiation (including RF from electric meters) might affect living organisms:
https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4273

Old 04-30-2019, 12:44 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:

TIA
How on earth do you know that was the cause of your wife's headache? There are tons of things that cause headaches. Here's a list of them from the Mayo Clinic, and these are just causes of secondary headaches; there are even more causes of primary headaches.

Acute sinusitis (sinus infection)
  1. Arterial tears (carotid or vertebral dissections)
  2. Blood clot (venous thrombosis) within the brain — separate from stroke
  3. Brain aneurysm (a bulge in an artery in your brain)
  4. Brain AVM (arteriovenous malformation) — an abnormal formation of brain blood vessels
  5. Brain tumor
  6. Carbon monoxide poisoning
  7. Chiari malformation (structural problem at the base of your skull)
  8. Concussion
  9. Dehydration
  10. Dental problems
  11. Ear infection (middle ear)
  12. Encephalitis (brain inflammation)
  13. Giant cell arteritis (inflammation of the lining of the arteries)
  14. Glaucoma (acute angle closure glaucoma)
  15. Hangovers
  16. High blood pressure (hypertension)
  17. Influenza (flu) and other febrile (fever) illnesses
  18. Intracranial hematoma
  19. Medications to treat other disorders
  20. Meningitis
  21. Monosodium glutamate (MSG)
  22. Overuse of pain medication
  23. Panic attacks and panic disorder
  24. Post-concussion syndrome
  25. Pressure from tight headgear, such as a helmet or goggles
  26. Pseudotumor cerebri
  27. Stroke
  28. Toxoplasmosis
  29. Trigeminal neuralgia (as well as other neuralgias, all involving irritation of certain nerves connecting the face and brain)
https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/...s/sym-20050800

Old 05-29-2019, 05:49 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Too early to determine because wireless devices are still too new on the market, but not only smart meters can possibly affect your health but cell phones, cell towers, wi-fi, and other wireless devices can also affect you.
Smart Meter Health Complaints – EMF Safety Network

However: Some smart meters use "powerline networking" or "broadband over power lines" (BPL). That’s to say they use the electrical wiring to send back the data to the utility company.
Smart meters that function in this way do not emit a wireless signal but they introduce a form of electro-pollution on to your house wiring known as dirty electricity.

The other little known fact about smart meters is that typically they use switched mode power supply (SMPS). SMPS is supposed to offer better efficiency and reduced cost in conversion of electrical power. Unfortunately, it is also responsible for creating "noise" on house wiring, otherwise known as dirty electricity.
This is no small detail. So you may have a smart meter which is emitting radio frequency radiation AND dirty electricity OR it may just be emitting dirty electricity.
Therefore I would recommend checking the radiation level with a Radiation Detector before you spend money on the shield.
BioElectrix EMI and RF Radiation Detection, Analysis, and Protection - Smart Meters

If you want to measure the radiation level, you can buy EMF Radiation Detector:
https://www.amazon.com/emf-meters/b?node=5011676011

It doesn't matter what others think about your concern. If YOU feel that the cluster of smart meters is affecting your or your wife's health, here you will find a few RF shield ideas:
https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/...ter-radiation/
**Thank you** for your reply; I checked on this thread today, only to see that there were follow up responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Here's an analysis of how different types of radiation (including RF from electric meters) might affect living organisms:
https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4273
Thank you for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
OP, I don't doubt that your wife has headaches, but I do wonder about the diagnosis. What made you think the cause was RF from the electric meters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
How on earth do you know that was the cause of your wife's headache? There are tons of things that cause headaches. Here's a list of them from the Mayo Clinic, and these are just causes of secondary headaches; there are even more causes of primary headaches.
I appreciate your thoughtful approach to the matter; the conclusion was drawn by the following:

My Wife is not given to complaining. The headaches started after the installation of the meters, in an apartment that we had lived in, without issue, for ten months. The headaches ceased immediately after we moved, nor have they returned, years later.

In any event, meters of not, the concern is nil; we found an apartment complex with a suitable meter arrangement (if that happened to be the case). If the meters weren't to blame, then whatever the case, the problem disappeared and has not returned.

Again...a multitude of thanks to everyone who participated on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House