Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 07:58 AM

20,098 posts, read 16,015,663 times

Advertisements

Okay, so we are building a house and my husband has fallen in love with dark brown bricks combined with either a dark brown or black grout on a house we drove by, of all things. This link shows a brick similar to the one he likes and you can see it with different mortar colors. The brick he likes has both deep brown and black bricks

https://www.glengery.com/brick-produ...5526-hawthorne

We are building a ranch and plan to use primarily brick with a stone accent area and shake shingle gables. What stone would you opt for? What kind of other colors would you use, as in for the roof, shutters, door, trim, and gables?

I am concerned about the dark color on a ranch, any thoughts on that?

Help me out here, I am totally at a loss. I did not care for the colors they used - which was basically black everything.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:25 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,664,144 times
There are few colors that wouldn't harmonize with a dark wall scheme. I've seen variations on the dark/dark house and it can be striking, or strong color accents too.

I'd be concerned about long term effects on energy costs, especially for a wall finish that cannot easily be recolored. Something more neutral for the wall surfaces and an appropriate trim and finish combination that can be changed up from time to time might be a better choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 11:50 AM

561 posts, read 1,505,014 times
I'm certainly not a designer, but I'd take into consideration the area you're building -- is it residential, with a lot of surrounding homes competing for attention; rural, surrounded by trees, vegetation; weather,

Personally, I like the dark combo of dark brick and dark mortar, I think it looks striking. IMHO I'd stay with tone on tone for the stone work, choosing a highlight color found in the brick, or even gray. For trim, such a eaves and facia, maybe a bright white for exceptional contrast, with a dark roof. Staying neutral is always best, because if you need to sell, prospective buyers may not like too many competing colors. Just my 2 cents worth, as I said, I'm no designer.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:57 PM

17,264 posts, read 11,085,176 times
I think your husband has good taste. The dark stone/brick color IMO can make a home look elegant and classy. You can get some ideas on Pinterest and see what other homes look like with similar colors and see what matching colors look like with it. Here's just a couple of examples.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...icks&FORM=IGRE

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/AWY1dZ...QuCNs_np25rlU/

Old 04-20-2019, 02:01 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,664,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I think your husband has good taste. The dark stone/brick color IMO can make a home look elegant and classy.
As did avocado appliances, ca. 1974.

Don't get me wrong, I am a designer and I do prize even simple esthetic improvement in the suburban landscape. But a lot of looks are faddish and will become a detriment to sales down the road. Something as permanent and difficult to change as an unusual choice of brick exterior should be approached very, very cautiously.

I'd use such brickwork very sparingly, as accents around the entry and maybe on corners or a single extension, rather than as the dominant look.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:09 PM

20,098 posts, read 16,015,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I think your husband has good taste. The dark stone/brick color IMO can make a home look elegant and classy. You can get some ideas on Pinterest and see what other homes look like with similar colors and see what matching colors look like with it. Here's just a couple of examples.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...icks&FORM=IGRE

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/AWY1dZ...QuCNs_np25rlU/
I think it’s a male thing because my brother and cousin think it is stunning, and they mean in a good way. My sister-in-law said she thought it would look stunning too, in a not so good way. I like the look of the brick, but not what they had with it - a putty grey - so am a bit leery of it. I keep trying to imagine what to put with it and all I can think is shades of brown/tan. He likes the idea of matching it with black trim which I am struggling to picture it and not liking what I envision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
As did avocado appliances, ca. 1974.

Don't get me wrong, I am a designer and I do prize even simple esthetic improvement in the suburban landscape. But a lot of looks are faddish and will become a detriment to sales down the road. Something as permanent and difficult to change as an unusual choice of brick exterior should be approached very, very cautiously.

I'd use such brickwork very sparingly, as accents around the entry and maybe on corners or a single extension, rather than as the dominant look.
This is what has me most worried. I keep having visions of all those weirdly shaped “modern” houses that sit months and months on the market. When looking around the net I found lots of black brick houses in New Zealand... but we don’t live in New Zealand.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,610,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Okay, so we are building a house and my husband has fallen in love with dark brown bricks combined with either a dark brown or black grout on a house we drove by, of all things. This link shows a brick similar to the one he likes and you can see it with different mortar colors. The brick he likes has both deep brown and black bricks

https://www.glengery.com/brick-produ...5526-hawthorne

We are building a ranch and plan to use primarily brick with a stone accent area and shake shingle gables. What stone would you opt for? What kind of other colors would you use, as in for the roof, shutters, door, trim, and gables?

I am concerned about the dark color on a ranch, any thoughts on that?

Help me out here, I am totally at a loss. I did not care for the colors they used - which was basically black everything.
Seems to me you could use just about any color you like for trim. Nothing would clash with dark bricks, which is certainly not true of regular red bricks. Just a question of whether you'd like to punch things up with, say, cherry red, or go monotone with a color that matched the grout.

I grew up in southern California, land of the tract house ranch, and some people did paint them dark colors, although it's true that most used some version of beige. Always looked OK to me either way.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:51 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,862,202 times
Of the mortar colors, the one numbered #G601 seems the least objectionable to me. It also blends in with the brick so you get a monolithic effect to the brickwork.

For the trim, what color will the window frames be? That may help you decide.

With the monolithic brick/mortar combination, a nice warm gray, pale tan or the color of the grout lightened up by a lot, would work. Or scan a color off one of the bricks and lighten that by a lot. With those colors, if you have anodized bronze window molding or dark molding, that would all match up pretty well. Maybe add a pop of color with shutters or the front door, perhaps. Maybe something in bronze, dark brick reddish or even a burnt orange?

What color is the roof going to be? Dark roofs have loads of solar gain, if summer heat matters.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:03 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,544,355 times
Mortar comes in three basic colors; white, grey, buff. Any color outside of these are considered premium mortars and get expensive rather quickly.

Doing all dark tones will certainly make the house look somewhat demure. With that two-tone type brick I'd probably do a light buff- that leaves other material's colors to easily coordinate. Trim paint could be a very warm creame color, and a roof of weathered wood. If you want some stone accents, Tennessee fieldstone in a "dry-stack" application would probably be the best color choice. It will coordinate well with the brick color; and the dry-stack application adds no mortar color to the finished look.

An accent color of bronze should really highlight certain segments- doors, shutters, gutters and downspouts- rather than "black"!

One other note about mortar- the type of joint can also effect the finished look of the overall appearance/color. The most common is "concave". A "vee-groove" or heavy rake joints create shades that make the mortar appear darker. "Struck" and "weathered" also create shadows- but in different ways. And there's "extruded"- which I haven't personally seen used on a house in over 25yrs- but there are some out there.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:44 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,165,451 times
I like the brick he chose but I would use the gray grout not black. I personally would use white for the shutters, trim, gutters, it would give a pop to the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House