Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 05:31 PM

7,300 posts, read 12,212,645 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, how do different faucet brands compare? It seems among mainstream brands usually most experts seem to recommend Delta, Moen, or Kohler. But how do smaller brands such as Pfister or American Standard compare to the big three in quality? I would like to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 05:49 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,668,875 times
I think I've had most of them, over time. I don't know if there's as much variation between brands as there is between product quality levels. Cheap faucets are cheap faucets; they tend to be mostly plastic, with flimsy metal sheathing and a low tolerance for wear and tear.

Good faucets (~$100+ for kitchen, maybe ~$50+ for bathroom) look better, feel better (knobs turn smoothly, sprayer pulls out and retracts easily, has solid grip and feel for things like spray switches) are just... better.

Don't buy from the Home Depot end cap, or anything on special sale. Some would say only buy the pro-grade stuff from a plumbing supply but I think the box stores have nice enough stuff, as long as you don't aim for cheap.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:59 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,344,851 times
How do you want to do the comparison? Pretty hard to find a faucet that doesn't provide water when you turn the tap/handle and shut off (without dripping) when you're done. So from a Function standpoint, they all do the job. Everything past that is just preference.... cost (which probably impacts longevity), looks, feel and emotional response.

I just sold a house where I installed Kingston Brass (mid-priced stuff in the big picture, more expensive than everything the big box stores sell) in both bathrooms. Solid brass bodies, not a hint of plastic, with great looks and feel in the hand. They just felt good to use and you could Tell they were plated metal and not plated plastic by looking at them.

Where I am now has an $18 Glacier Bay unit, it's completely plastic, doesn't feel or look good and you can tell it's cheap. It still does the Exact same job, but it's like commuting in a 25 year old Geo Metro vs a 2019 Mercedes S-class.

It used to be that you'd buy something of quality and then buy repair parts when those were needed. Anymore, people will just buy a whole new faucet... I'm not sure if repair ability was the cause or effect of this trend. But if you're really worried about that, shop with a company that supports their products. That probably won't be a brand that sells in big box stores. Or, just find something you like the looks of, that's in your budget and don't worry about the rest.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:07 PM

Well, Delta does offer their economy "Peerless" brand, which is supposed to be a lower-cost line compared to the Delta-branded units.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:17 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,668,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Well, Delta does offer their economy "Peerless" brand, which is supposed to be a lower-cost line compared to the Delta-branded units.
That GM sells the Escalade and the Chevy Spark doesn't mean there's any equivalence. I think all the major brands have chosen/been forced to make HD-grade lines.

It's not a marker I usually recommend, but cost is probably the best rough indicator of quality here. Don't buy cheap; don't buy some exclusive premium-builder/architectural brand. But pay for quality.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
That GM sells the Escalade and the Chevy Spark doesn't mean there's any equivalence. I think all the major brands have chosen/been forced to make HD-grade lines.

It's not a marker I usually recommend, but cost is probably the best rough indicator of quality here. Don't buy cheap; don't buy some exclusive premium-builder/architectural brand. But pay for quality.
HD carries Delta itself as well. Peerless is their economy brand, Delta is their mainstream brand, and Brizo is their luxury brand.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:44 PM

4,682 posts, read 3,119,207 times
Common belief is that the stuff you buy at Lowes or HomeDepot is of lesser quality than the same item purchased at a plumbing supply store. More plastic. Never gone to the bother of checking that myself, but it's almost always mentioned in home improvement threads on several forums.

Moen reportedly has excellent customer service.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:00 PM

61,132 posts, read 85,956,304 times
Are you shopping for any particular faucet? Kitchen? Bathroom? Washroom? Any requirements? Size? Finish? (I don't think any comes in pink, though...)

Old 04-21-2019, 09:17 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,577,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Common belief is that the stuff you buy at Lowes or HomeDepot is of lesser quality than the same item purchased at a plumbing supply store. More plastic. Never gone to the bother of checking that myself, but it's almost always mentioned in home improvement threads on several forums.

Moen reportedly has excellent customer service.
The thing with Delta and Moen is that they have a lifetime warranty, so even though they cost more up front, if they leak or break later on, you can get the replacement parts at no cost. I know I got something that was from Home Depot or Lowe’s and it basically failed after a year or two. I could have bought the Delta or Moen and spent less since I ended up having to get the plumber out to fix it and put in a new one. I know my parents have used either the Delta or the Moen warranty and the tech support and they were quite helpful.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:18 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,201,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Are you shopping for any particular faucet? Kitchen? Bathroom? Washroom? Any requirements? Size? Finish? (I don't think any comes in pink, though...)
...but maaaaybe rose gold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House