Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 12:12 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times

Advertisements

I have several slopes like this plus a ditch outside with almost as tall slopes as you have.
I tried everything including ZTR and push mower.
Trimmer works best. I just did my ditch about a week ago.

Get a very good spiral string though. Half of your slope can be done form the flat surface up. Let mower head slide on the grass, for extra support and to relieve your arms/back. Also, it will then cut very short, what saves you on weekly cutting.
You may consider shoulder mower harness too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 01:44 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I would either construct a modular block retaining wall to terrace the area and reduce the slope so it’s manageable OR plant shrubs on the slope that will spread and cover the entire area OR, do both, a low wall and then plantings OR your string trimmer.
I'd do some type of wall, it doesn't even have to be that high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You are very lucky, OP. You could make something very pretty of it.
Check those pictures for ideas:

https://www.google.com/search?q=terr...iw=377&bih=542
Some really nice ideas

Old 04-26-2019, 03:18 PM

34 posts, read 23,413 times
The terracing looks nice, but that is honestly way out what I would spend in the next few years. I got a good chuckle out of the thought of having that though. For now, I will keep working a combination of the mower and weed whacker, and hopefully it will get easier the more times I do this.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:00 PM

577 posts, read 493,266 times
Necessity is the mother of invention..... This guy is working hard but will probably have some big arm muscles if he keeps it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0GT6ni_E4w

Old 04-27-2019, 05:01 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Goats? sheep?

Old 04-27-2019, 07:38 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have an area like that myself and I have thought about getting a hover mower. I’ve never seen one for sale locally though.

https://youtu.be/plHVt6gqQg8
They use this type mower at my golf club for steep hills. Seems to work just fine. I also think the grass could be cut by going sideways long the hill with a cheap, gas mower.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:46 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
Good ideas already.

How does your electric trimmer do when you stand at the driveway? You have a handle on it about midway or more up the pole? How about an actual pole saw, telescoping and with tilting head, for the hardest places while standing in the driveway? You could explore things with telescoping poles.

If there's someone you trust, you could hire just that section done. Someone careful. Can you spot someone doing similar work in your area as you drive around?

Old 04-27-2019, 02:38 PM

577 posts, read 493,266 times
This "may" work well with a cordless 12 in. string trimmer to help reduce the arm and shoulder fatigue, of string trimming a steep grade. Stand at the bottom of the incline and push it up and down the grade. JMO

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...gateway&sr=8-4

Old 04-27-2019, 03:25 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootopia View Post
Pics at the bottom of course to show you guys what I'm up against.

I live in upstate NY, closed on this house in late December, so this was my day of actually mowing the lawn here. Everything was pretty good until I came to this last part of my property. I knew it wouldn't be safe to use my self-propelled push mower up such an incline, so I decided to use an electric weed whacker. Well, you need to be part mountain goat to pull this off--I managed to but it wasn't the safest thing. If the grass is even a bit wet, forget it.

You can see I had a bear trying to do this well. It looks bad, but not as bad as it would if I let look like an overgrown field. I'm not quite sure how else to cut such a large incline like this. Any ideas?

https://i.postimg.cc/MKGxKpkh/IMG-20190425-174905.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/y8gHcp8j/IMG-20190425-174858.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/P5gk4bLj/IMG-20190425-174918.jpg

I was expecting a much steeper hillside. You should see what some people deal with in Pittsburgh. I've seen people tie a rope with a short stick to the handle of their lawnmower. They let it roll down the hill slowly and then wind it back up to the top. I advise not mowing any type of grass on a hill if it is even slightly wet. This means not mowing in the morning or late in the day when you start getting dew on the grass.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:12 PM

167 posts, read 359,105 times
We have a fairly steep hill in our backyard. My husband cuts it with a lightweight electric mower. He walks side to side so the mower cannot slip back on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House