Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2019, 11:23 AM

461 posts, read 508,597 times

Advertisements

We live in a house built in 1969. It has aluminum wiring. We would like to turn this house into a rental one day. We are checking into codes but if the wiring is in good shape does it need replaced to whatever they currently use because of amp power and today's devices using more?
Hope this makes sense and yes we will be checking with the city codes to find our specifics on Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 11:31 AM

206 posts, read 170,631 times
If you're not already gutting the house, I don't think you're going to find any code requirement calling for replacing the wiring. I'd direct this question to my insurance agent.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:37 AM

23,585 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Advice to me from one of the company electricians was to use this stuff https://www.sanchem.com/electrical-c...lubricant.html on all connections and avoid the stab connections at outlets and wall switches. The wire itself is not as much an issue as is the corrosion at connections.

The reason I had him out to the house was the wiring to the meter head had corroded to the point that the box was too hot to touch. This was in south Florida, so salt air and such undoubtedly contributed.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:38 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
All the plugs and switches can be retrofitted to change them to a copper connection. It takes a specific connection part. A hassle, but a lot cheaper than rewiring the house.

The danger with aluminum is that it expands and shrinks with heat and air temperature. It can work itself loose and if it is the right degree of loose, it can spark and start fires.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:48 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Advice to me from one of the company electricians was to use this stuff https://www.sanchem.com/electrical-c...lubricant.html on all connections and avoid the stab connections at outlets and wall switches. The wire itself is not as much an issue as is the corrosion at connections.
This. Assuming wiring isn't subject to corrosion somewhere along the run (scratched or cracked insulation, etc.) almost 100% of the problem with aluminum wiring is at junctions and connection. Besides corrosion, certain connection faults can create a high-resistance point that heats up to white hot. (Those problems usually solve themselves in the first hour of use... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
All the plugs and switches can be retrofitted to change them to a copper connection. It takes a specific connection part. A hassle, but a lot cheaper than rewiring the house.
This. It would be tedious to go through and check/replace every accessible termination and connection in the house, but far cheaper and probably 99% as effective as rewiring. I've done it, just for upgrade and maintenance purposes, even on all copper wiring. I like new plugs and switches and knowing there are no booby traps left by some prior Home Depot genius...

Old 05-04-2019, 04:58 PM

7,513 posts, read 13,605,766 times
This article may help you understand the issues, and gives details on the most commonly recommended method of mitigation.

Can COPALUM Crimping Fix Aluminum Wiring In Homes?

FWIW, we lived in a AL-wired house for 25 years with no problems. When it came time to sell, the buyer insisted on this "crimp" style of mitigation. Cost was about $2400 for a 1700 sq ft 3bed/2 bath house.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:31 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Almost every house has aluminum wiring, as that is typically what is used for the drop from the transformer to the house/meter and then from the meter to the service panel. It is safe when used with the proper connectors/devices, as mentioned above.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:04 AM

73 posts, read 45,197 times
I think the current National Electric Code allows either aluminum or copper wiring, but when you use aluminum you normally have to upsize one wire size over copper due to ampacity. For example, where you would normally use a #14 copper wire, if you used aluminum you would have to upsize to #12 wire. Aluminum wire has less amperage carrying capacity than the same size of copper wire.

Difference Between Aluminum and Copper Wire | Difference Between
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House