Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 05:36 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times

Advertisements

Tile is the best choice here no doubt about it, and we’re seeing patterns we like. Our only concern with it is the coldness factor of it being in the basement. At nearly 1,200 sf to cover, I don’t think electric radiant heat is in the budget to counter that aspect. Plus I suspect might be a pretty penny to use on a routine basis.

Looking at the below-grade engineered wood. But also looking at carpet tile.

Anyone have any experience with carpet tiles? Can you use them with a pad, or do they go straight on to the concrete (I’m reading straight to concrete). They look like they might be thicker than the LVP route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 06:11 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Yes, the high quality manufactures of carpet tile all have a thin rubber backing that hold up better than any broadloom carpeting. They are often used in areas of high traffic like airports, hotels, car dealers, libraries, malls, etc.

I’ve used these before in a basement that flooded, removed them to dry them out and then reinstalled them. You would never know there was an issue.

There’s also a product sold by Interface ( they manufacture carpet tile) call Tac-Tile that a self stick tab that you place under the tiles that attaches them together so you do not need adhesive for floor attachment. This would be best in your case since you could remove the flooring and then re-install if desired.

The main manufacturers of commercial carpet tiles are Interface, Milliken, Shaw and Mohawk. Milliken also has a glueless install system and is the top name in carpet tile but be prepared, it’s going to cost since their tiles are used all over the world.
Take a look and read up on their web sites!

Old 05-20-2019, 08:49 AM

Many thanks!!

Question - is there any feasible way to floor a below-grade basement that won’t be cold in the winter other than carpet? The coldness factor is what I’m really worried about here and keep coming back to carpet again because of it. I know tile is probably the best answer for future water damage, and we like many of the wood pattern tiles we’re seeing, but don’t know how we’d feel about it when we’re buried under 12 inches of snow again..

Engineered wood, we like that idea too and if we get water damage, it’s replacing certain sections. But again - cold?

We need something to help insulate between the bare concrete and our feet. The carpet we’ve had has made the basement cozy on those cold winter days when we’re locked inside. Are there any other options? Is there a way to not go from not being cold to freezing cold?

Old 05-20-2019, 11:59 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Go on the Home Depot site and search for DriCore Panels, if you have not already come across this product!

Old 05-20-2019, 03:57 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Many thanks!!

Question - is there any feasible way to floor a below-grade basement that won’t be cold in the winter other than carpet? The coldness factor is what I’m really worried about here and keep coming back to carpet again because of it. I know tile is probably the best answer for future water damage, and we like many of the wood pattern tiles we’re seeing, but don’t know how we’d feel about it when we’re buried under 12 inches of snow again..

Engineered wood, we like that idea too and if we get water damage, it’s replacing certain sections. But again - cold?

We need something to help insulate between the bare concrete and our feet. The carpet we’ve had has made the basement cozy on those cold winter days when we’re locked inside. Are there any other options? Is there a way to not go from not being cold to freezing cold?
I've seen a concrete floor covered with an interlocking rubber mat panels that looked and felt interesting.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:32 AM

Thanks all!

I’ve decided to just replace the carpet with the cheapest carpet I can find, the builder grade stuff. Will do a decent 8lb pad with moisture protection though, but otherwise not going much beyond the basics anymore.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:39 AM

577 posts, read 493,266 times
I believe I would look in to installing a water detection system just inside the stairwell door before the new carpet was laid. Here is a starting point for info. The next time the stairwell floods, a bit of early warning may save some serious carpet damage from happening again. Just a thought.

https://www.reviewed.com/smarthome/b...leak-detectors

Old 07-04-2019, 06:48 AM

Coming back to this one, we've not done anything yet other than cut out the damaged carpet.

We've decided to go with the engineered hardwood. I've seen several houses around here with it in the basement and the owners say it's not that cold in the winter to live with. They also say it seemed to freshen up the feel of the house overall because no odors sitting on the lowest level of the home raising up through it anymore. Interesting comment..

We want to go with a ½ thick birch veneer in a 5 inch wide plank. Basically this one: https://www.builddirect.com/p/Jasper...tion--15228874

Says it has a 25 year warranty. At that price, I'll be happy if we get 10.

So, we're going onto concrete. Have a couple of questions that I need some guidance on if possible?

1) How level does the concrete floor have to be? Grade slopes slightly towards the rear door where the lowest spot in the foundation is located (that outside drain). There is a slight dip around that back door on the inside of the home as well in the flooring, I suspect by design incase water comes in through the door to keep it from spreading out too far. I suspect I'll have to level that section out with filler. But overall, does it have to be glass flat?

2) Glue it or float? Youtube vid's suggest glue for concrete, but want to make sure that's right (it is Youtube after all). What I don't want is the sense of a loose floor when you walk on it, and can't nail/staple it due to concrete.

After watching others install floors for us in past houses, I'm doing this one myself. I understand the staggering of the boards and leaving some elbow room for expansion at the ends under the wall trim.

Thanks! NC on another project around here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House