Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 06:44 PM

3,027 posts, read 7,886,956 times

Advertisements

I have Goodman now for 7 years and now,5/24/14,temp 95,this way now for week and very comfortable at 77.I did have fan replaced under warranty.My warranty is 10 years 100 percent on parts,so far very happy.The unit is 3 ton.
I do know that Goodman has a bad reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 07:10 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,955,850 times
I had started a thread about a week ago after our AC went out for good, I had researched the heck out of AC systems about a year ago and had settled on Trane. Fast forward and the two AC company's I had narrowed my search down to no longer want to push Trane. The R410A operates at higher pressures and Trane seems to be having problems with leaks down the road.

We went with Bryant.......for all it is worth this is about the only purchase I have ever had where everything I researched was 50/50. AC systems seems to be the worst item to find a common overall like or dislike.

Everyone is all over the place, and like those have said, install and compatibility with your home play a large part in helping the system you buy.

Good luck, and sometimes as said a competent installer will far outweigh the decision of the AC purchase.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,917,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech443 View Post
BBB ratings are bought and paid for everyday. That is really no "REAL" sign of anything. ABC news did a BBB investigation years ago...

Better Business Bureau 20/20 Investigation - YouTube

I can't speak for Angie's List, except that the one searching for companies has to pay for the referrals.

Pros and cons to anything folks.

Check the company for proper licensing, hire them for consultation and ask questions. Follow your gut. You are buying a company... not a brand. All brands break down sooner or later. If the company you chose can't fix it then what?

Brand name means nothing with out proper design. If your system design, sizing etc. is flawed one way or the other there is no brand that will make up the difference. When someone states I had brand xyz years ago and then put in brand abc and it works much better it's most likely that brand abc is more efficient than the other brand and there were no original design flaws. Equipment models and SEER ratings are always changing over time.

This is only a small facet of what makes this so difficult. You can't quantify the decision on brand, price or anything other than asking questions and only until ALL those questions are fully answered should you proceed. But many times price or brand names sway people into making poor decisions.

I see poor choices made at least a half a dozen times a year. Units only a few years old or less with critical problems.
We have had good results using Angie's List in a new town.

There are grade Fs (or the equivalent) in BBB listings, at least in my former home town. I wouldn't discount using the BBB as a part of the research you do before deciding on a firm.

I agree that the company that makes the unit and the local company that installs it are the most important things about deciding on new air conditioning. And I do agree about proper licensing and insurance.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:53 AM

153 posts, read 538,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

There are grade Fs (or the equivalent) in BBB listings, at least in my former home town. I wouldn't discount using the BBB as a part of the research you do before deciding on a firm.

The problem isn't the lack of companies on BBB that have the grade of an "F".

The problem is those companies that have the grade of an A+ that were once rated "F". You won't know that the company in question was once rated "F"... because this model of grading would be against the grain of paying the BBB for a better grade.

Who decides the grade and what influences the grade? (money is involved don't kid yourself.)

If the grade is not a real grade, but lack of money paid to BBB for said grade that is where the problem lies. IE Scam, fraud, con-job.

If you searched a company on BBB and chose said company because of an A+ rating... would you choose same company if you knew thru the rating on the BBB website that the company you were choosing was rated an "F" only weeks or less earlier?

This doesn't mean every company listed on the BBB that is rated A+ ever had an "F" rating. BUT, there is no way to discern the difference that I am aware of.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl B View Post
Was thinking about having a new Goodman A/C Unit installed , BUTTTTTT After reading all the bad customer reviews on there Goodman units , Why would I ???
I bought a new Janitrol 4 ton AC 20 years ago. I understand it is now owned by Goodman. It is still running fine. I have heard it is not so much what brand you buy, but how good the installation is. Don't know if that is true or not.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:09 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,084,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebiker71 View Post
I bought a new Janitrol 4 ton AC 20 years ago. I understand it is now owned by Goodman. It is still running fine. I have heard it is not so much what brand you buy, but how good the installation is. Don't know if that is true or not.
The quality of the installation and the service people are more important than just about any brand.

I have multiple R-22 units, all getting up there in age, and have been maintaining them as well as possible to prolong their lives...if I’m lucky they will survive a few more years and I can get new units that use whatever replaces R410a as well as have minimum 16 SEER.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:00 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,481,990 times
Ever wonder how one HVAC company will pitch just one line of products. Because their company might have possibly been bought out by their supplier, a HVAC manufacturer.

I have a buddy that has been in HVAC his entire life. They ended up being Federal Express' HVAC contractor specializing in spot air conditioning in The Hub in Memphis. He is now an employee rather than an owner of the company that was bought by the manufacturer.

When I moved from Atlanta, all the large HVAC companies but one were manufacturer owned.

I've got two new Carrier heat pumps on my house with 10 year warranties. My lake house has an older Trane heat pump that's a premium unit. It's been used relatively little since it's a part time house. But next up for me is mini-split systems when that Trane unit plays out.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:42 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,504,923 times
I'm sticking with Trane when the time comes for our 20 year old 2 ton York Diamond finally kicks the bucket. We call him Mater from the movie Cars. I had a guy come and recharge Mater last summer after replacing a capacitor, local second generation family guy in the business. He'll be my guy when it comes time to replace. He told me a really interesting fact about making sure the install is done right - flush the coolant lines with some type of chemical to make sure it's all out before refilling for the new unit (for the conversion over to 410). He said a lot of companies won't spend the time to do that step properly and therefore the unit runs into problems in a few years because of it. The coolant lines have to be thoroughly cleaned out... Makes sense to me considering Mater is the original unit from top to bottom on this house and runs like a champ!

Old 07-11-2020, 12:09 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,000,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyS View Post
Hi all ! Last week I got 4 estimates for central air conditioning. All pushing different brands. I am on a budget and am of course looking at lower end units. My house is 1200 sq ft and still, AC will run $3000+ One guy said that for the most part all AC parts are manufactured in the same place, and just have different shells, he sold all brands, recommended Goodman. He had overall best price. Other brands people gave me prices on were- ( starting from lowest to highest) Goodman, Payne, Bryant, Carrier. I want something reliable at the lowest price possible. I am getting the new coolant and looking at 13seer. I would appreciate any and all input on this. I live in colorado. Thanks!
Lennox. You want Lennox.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:57 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,084,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Lennox. You want Lennox.
Given OP posted this 12 years ago perhaps they will be in the market again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House