Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 09:22 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,996,156 times

Advertisements

I've searched the 'net & can't find the answer, so am asking here.

My 87-yr old mum just rented an apt in a 55+ senior complex... she has not moved in yet. I've been here for 2-wks to put all her things away, place pics on the walls, after cleaning the place stem to stern... it was fairly clean & many things are new (freshly painted walls, cleaned carpeting, new kitchen appliances)... but since she'll be here the rest of her life, I wanted it to be super clean for her, especially given her age... can't imagine she'll be doing deep cleaning or redecorating anymore.

After buying every cleaner on the planet & scrubbing, polishing & toiling away, I still get an ever-so-slight whiff of onions gone bad, only near the kitchen sink & not all the time. BTW, similarly, there was a very slight, unpleasant, moldy odor in the bathroom (like an old sponge that needs to be tossed), when I got here & after scrubbing, pouring peroxide down the drain to sit overnight to get rid of any bacteria (read that tip online & I was convinced it must be coming from the sink/bath drain/toilet), what I finally found was an orangy goo underneath the medicine cabinet (like someone spread honey all over it)... it was gross & I'm guessing it was there for years (took 4 large paper towels to clean it all off)... many don't clean underneath their med cabinet & the person who lived here before may have been too old or disabled to do thorough cleaning.

So, I found online that an oniony smell might be from bacteria. It doesn't appear to be coming from the drain, although I also poured peroxide down the drain to sit overnight, anyway. The smell isn't coming from underneath the sink, where the previous tenant might have stored onions & forgotten about them, although I thoroughly cleaned all surfaces, even though they appeared to have been well cleaned. I get a whiff when I'm standing in front of the sink, only from time to time & if I sniff around, I can't identify where it's coming from. The wall cabinets are in good condition & yes, I did clean underneath them, just in case they were similar to the bathroom med cabinet... nope.

It's a very small apt, there are no plants, no window over the sink where there could be mold & since all surfaces have been cleaned, my only thought is either there is something in the sink drain & it needs <something> or something fell behind something & is lodged... in which case, I can do nothing, cuz the stove & fridge, although both new, are not on wheels. Still, they're on either side of the sink, which is where I get the smell from time to time.

Second issue:

Also, there is some orangy crud on the stainless steel kitchen sink that nothing yet will remove (it has no odor, btw). It's around the entire perimeter of the sink... on 2 sides of the sink, it's 6" wide & the other on 2 sides it's about 4" wide. It's raised to the touch, meaning it's not a stain, I can feel something stuck to the surface. I bought Magic Stainless Steel cleaner, which has been a godsend to other sinks I've cleaned, but it makes no difference here. I tried a paste of vinegar/baking soda, scrubbing with salt, Mr. Clean spray... & have used so much elbow grease, my hands & fingers are sore after 1/2-dozen scrubs over a few days. Of course, I don't know what the stuff is... food, adhesive... or, I could figure out a solvent.

Since I have no idea what it is, I will post 2 pics to my photos in my profile... they won't post inside my msg for some reason... in the event someone might be able to help. One is a closeup.

Thank you all. I'd appreciate any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 12:54 AM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
If this is a rental, you could try to address it to the complex management or landlord.

ADDED: Ok, I saw that yellow stuff on your sink.
It looks like a very, VERY old fat deposit.

Try this: use razor blade scraper https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Mini...-HDX/206458354 Home Depot, Lowes type of stores
Hold the blade the way this person is holding against the glass and carefully remove the residue with the blade, trying not to leave any deep marks on the stainless steel sink surface. Small shallow scrapes are OK, you can remove them with Barkeepers Friend cleaning powder.
Spoiler

After you finish, polish the surface with the very fine powder ^^^
Rinse. This powder is like magic. You will love it for all kinds of cleaning jobs.

Ultimately, you could make a paste of this powder by mixing it with little water and applying with a sponge to the dirty surface before scrapping it. Leave it on for an hour or two, rinse, then start scrapping. Finish the surface by polishing it with the powder again (you can use any leftover paste). Rinse.

Spoiler
HD, Lowes, most grocery stores have it.

I don't know if oven cleaner would remove it, but if you happen to have a can, spray it on the crud. Let it work on it, then rinse.

Please let me know the result.

Last edited by elnina; 05-18-2019 at 03:18 AM..

Old 05-18-2019, 02:33 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
I think that you are a wonderful daughter. But, affordable housing is not going to be perfect. if you don't think you can find a better place, then maybe take a deep breath and accept that sometimes less than perfect is still okay.

When I moved into my affordable senior housing for 55+ it smelled strongly of curry. Fortunately, I love the smell. Other things weren't perfect either, but I had been in 2 of these places prior to moving in here, and the goods here far outweighed the bad at the other 2.

If your only real issues with this place are some old smells and some dirt, then count yourself blessed.

It occurred to me that the smell around the sink might be the disposal? If so, run it and put some dishsoap down it at the same time. If you put some pieces of lemon in it while it runs, it will make the place smell wonderful (assuming you like the smell of lemons).

Old 05-18-2019, 02:54 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
The onion smell can sometimes be a mecaptan odorant used in a pesticide or from a gas pilot light. Otherwise, that range of odors often comes from sulfur compounds or decomposition.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:03 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,996,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Try this: use razor blade scraper... with Barkeepers Friend cleaning powder.

I don't know if oven cleaner would remove it, but if you happen to have a can, spray it on the crud. Let it work on it, then rinse.

Please let me know the result.

Hey, El... BKF has never worked on anything for me... even mild cleaning. But, I didn't think of oven cleaner... I'm going to buy some Easy Off tomorrow... thx! I'll let you know the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If you don't think you can find a better place, then maybe take a deep breath and accept that sometimes less than perfect is still okay.

It's not affordable housing & the place isn't a mess... it's quite nice... the sink residue & onion smell are the only issues. Truth be told, she won't notice any odors... but, I do. But, I'm headed out of state in 1-2 wks & don't want to leave my mum with any issues at all. I even lemon oiled all the cabinets & wooden doors FOUR times with a wood oil... they sucked in the oil overnight, like a sponge. I thought it might help with the odor & leave a lovely lemony smell, but once left overnight, no nice lemony oil smell was noticeable. My mum is healthy & mobile, but at 87, she won't be doing any major housework, so I want to ensure everything is as comfy as possible before I leave.

Quote:
It occurred to me that the smell around the sink might be the disposal.

Sorry, I didn't mention, there isn't any disposal. As I said... the smell isn't coming from the drain/sink. I've been sniffing around like an anteater looking for a hill of ants... can't find anything... it's frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The onion smell can sometimes be a mecaptan odorant used in a pesticide or from a gas pilot light. Otherwise, that range of odors often comes from sulfur compounds or decomposition.

No natural gas to the apt, everything is electric. Unsure if the apt has ever been sprayed for bugs (the mountains rarely have insect issues due to altitude), but I do know the smell you reference (I used to live in FL & am returning soon... that's a much more pungent & fake onion-y smell... this isn't the same odor... it smells like 'real' onions). Sulfur & decomp meaning??? There's something lodged/behind/in something that I can't see? What would be something that is a sulfur/decomp compound?

Old 05-18-2019, 12:04 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Yeah, meaning literally that an onion might have been left. People sometimes store potatoes or onions in the drawer under an electric stove. If it has one, or a tilt out basket, did you remove that and /or pull the stove out to look underneath on the floor? The drip pan under a refrigerator, where the defrost water goes to be evaporated, is another suspect. The fridge can be spotless inside and out, but if that pan has water that drained from rotting veggies, it can stink. Getting access to it can be a pain, requiring removing screws and dealing with safety interlocks.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:09 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Perhaps it is the water source? As in sulfur in the water? Also the "orangey crud" kinds of sounds like a bacteria (considered harmless) in the water. We have that problem where I live (Florida)

One more idea - sometimes dishwashers, if older can start to smell bad. Good luck, hope you find out the source of mystery smell!

Old 05-18-2019, 02:04 PM

914 posts, read 642,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Hey, El... BKF has never worked on anything for me... even mild cleaning. But, I didn't think of oven cleaner... I'm going to buy some Easy Off tomorrow... thx! I'll let you know the results.

It's not affordable housing & the place isn't a mess... it's quite nice... the sink residue & onion smell are the only issues. Truth be told, she won't notice any odors... but, I do. But, I'm headed out of state in 1-2 wks & don't want to leave my mum with any issues at all. I even lemon oiled all the cabinets & wooden doors FOUR times with a wood oil... they sucked in the oil overnight, like a sponge. I thought it might help with the odor & leave a lovely lemony smell, but once left overnight, no nice lemony oil smell was noticeable. My mum is healthy & mobile, but at 87, she won't be doing any major housework, so I want to ensure everything is as comfy as possible before I leave.

Sorry, I didn't mention, there isn't any disposal. As I said... the smell isn't coming from the drain/sink. I've been sniffing around like an anteater looking for a hill of ants... can't find anything... it's frustrating.

No natural gas to the apt, everything is electric. Unsure if the apt has ever been sprayed for bugs (the mountains rarely have insect issues due to altitude), but I do know the smell you reference (I used to live in FL & am returning soon... that's a much more pungent & fake onion-y smell... this isn't the same odor... it smells like 'real' onions). Sulfur & decomp meaning??? There's something lodged/behind/in something that I can't see? What would be something that is a sulfur/decomp compound?
if I ever have a daughter I'd want one just like you. The care you are taking in this regard for your mother is impressive.

I'd do the same for someone I care about.

there are pods you can use to clean the disposal. I believe this may be the object of foul smells.

I use them once per month in my disposal. They're very affordable and effective.

I'm surprised they're not more advertised.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:20 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Ditto on all the comments about what a good daughter you are!

And I totally get wanting to find the source of the onion smell. But if you feel like you've cleaned everything you can, maybe a product like this would help get rid of the last vestiges of the smell?

https://www.amazon.com/Moso-Natural-...25891b396b2022

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...4aArlgEALw_wcB

And fwiw, I'm kind of a joke in my family for having a freakishly strong sensitivity to smells and I swear sometimes, it's a scent memory rather than an actual smell, when no one else can smell anything at all. I'm not saying that's happening with you but maybe?

Old 05-18-2019, 09:28 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,646,935 times
Did you check behind all appliances and in all cabinets and drawers?

I noticed a bad smell in an old house and later determined it was rat pee on the wood cabinets and even the cutting board!

I would apply bleach (cautiously) to any suspected surface - and check under and around appliances and in back of cabinets.

If you can't find it, then just move her in and hire a professional to "snout" it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House