U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 05:39 AM

1,403 posts, read 849,964 times

Advertisements

So, my neighbourhood appears to be suffering from a rat infestation that began about a year or so ago. My house, three of my neighbours' houses, and probably others (including an old school at the end of the street) have had rats move into the yards. I've found several burrows around my foundation (as have my neighbours) and we've seen some rats running around.

I'm wondering if anyone here has ever had to deal with this, and have been successful in repelling the rats without resorting to kill methods? Aside from removing shrubs and plants, making sure there are no piles of wood or food around, has anyone found a way to keep drive them away? Late last year I had a rat trying to build a nest in a gap in my foundation, so I put wire mesh and spray foam insulation in the gaps, and that seemed to work (however, I missed a spot, and just noticed a rat going in there recently...so have to get that fixed). I also started digging up around the burrows and have been spreading cayenne on the ground -- have heard it tends to irritate them and they eventually leave. Not sure if that will work.

Unfortunately my next-door neighbour has started setting out poison, which is disturbing to me because my dog spends time in my yard, and all it would take is one rat dropping bait on the ground... And it would also potentially affect cats in the area as well as birds and other wildlife. Anyway, any suggestions on humane ways to repel rats would be appreciated. As a last resort I'd call in an extermination company, but want to at least try a less harmful method first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 05:46 AM

37,991 posts, read 55,756,232 times
Call the city and see if they would set up traps. They do it here.
If they don't, here is a safe solution:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07H2...pa_mw_detail_0
Amazon Canada:
https://www.amazon.com/UPGRADED-Capt...ref=mp_s_a_1_5

Other humane methods:
https://draxe.com/how-to-get-rid-of-rats/
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 05-27-2019 at 06:11 AM..

Old 05-27-2019, 06:01 AM

17,859 posts, read 54,158,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
So, my neighbourhood appears to be suffering from a rat infestation that began about a year or so ago. My house, three of my neighbours' houses, and probably others (including an old school at the end of the street) have had rats move into the yards. I've found several burrows around my foundation (as have my neighbours) and we've seen some rats running around.

I'm wondering if anyone here has ever had to deal with this, and have been successful in repelling the rats without resorting to kill methods? Aside from removing shrubs and plants, making sure there are no piles of wood or food around, has anyone found a way to keep drive them away? Late last year I had a rat trying to build a nest in a gap in my foundation, so I put wire mesh and spray foam insulation in the gaps, and that seemed to work (however, I missed a spot, and just noticed a rat going in there recently...so have to get that fixed). I also started digging up around the burrows and have been spreading cayenne on the ground -- have heard it tends to irritate them and they eventually leave. Not sure if that will work.

Unfortunately my next-door neighbour has started setting out poison, which is disturbing to me because my dog spends time in my yard, and all it would take is one rat dropping bait on the ground... And it would also potentially affect cats in the area as well as birds and other wildlife. Anyway, any suggestions on humane ways to repel rats would be appreciated. As a last resort I'd call in an extermination company, but want to at least try a less harmful method first.
Rats are a public health hazard and your idea of trying "humane" methods is akin to appeasement of abusers. I urge you to read more on the dangers they create and best protocols.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Call the city and see if they would set up traps. They do it here.
If they don't, here is a safe solution:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07H2...pa_mw_detail_0
Amazon Canada:
https://www.amazon.com/UPGRADED-Capt...ref=mp_s_a_1_5

Other humane methods:
https://draxe.com/how-to-get-rid-of-rats/
Thank you. (For the last link, the only thing I disagree with is getting a cat to control rats. Cats can control mice pretty well, but rats are much larger and fight a cat.)

Hopefully I won't have to resort to an exterminator, but it may come to that at some point.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:42 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,897,864 times
Make sure you don't feed birds with a bird feeder.... that draws then in....

time for professional help.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:55 AM

21,868 posts, read 14,371,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Rats are a public health hazard and your idea of trying "humane" methods is akin to appeasement of abusers. I urge you to read more on the dangers they create and best protocols.
Yes. Get the city involved. Stuff steel wool into every opening in your house. Wage war. You do not want rats in your vicinity.

Forget being humane. Rats are not fragile native animals. They destroy habitats. They spread disease. They are called “vermin” for a reason.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:31 PM

Yep, after contacting city hall, apparently there's a huge rat infestation throughout the city that the mayor has been keeping quiet and denying, which got bad over the past couple of years because of a ton of construction going on in different areas. So the city has a department that fields calls, and they have some info on getting rid of rats, but they don't seem to do much else.

Anyway, I did do the steel wool thing at the base of my foundation last year after a rat was trying to burrow in there (steel wool stuffed into crevices along the base, then I covered the entire thing with spray insulation) and it did stop it, but I missed one exposed area behind my lilac bush. Am going to inspect the entire foundation on all four sides this weekend and do the same thing again (only this time I won't get the foam on my hands...made that mistake the first time and wound up with sticky hands for two days). I've already pulled out a lot of plants that were near the foundation, so will be clearing out the rest of them as well. And the next step after that will be a control company...really didn't want to do it, but there doesn't seem to be a simple solution for this. Anyway, guess I'll be busy outside for the next while.

(Good point about the bird feeder too; I do have one and will have to get rid of it, unfortunately.)

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Old 05-27-2019, 03:46 PM

5,578 posts, read 5,098,290 times
At this very moment I am on my couch listening to a mouse scrabble around in my kitchen. Maybe behind the fridge. There are 5 traps on the floor.

I can't prove it, but I think this is the same mouse I caught last week in my dryer vent who was so grateful that I didn't kill it that it returned to my humble abode.

That mouse is goin down.

I'm moving soon to a house that has rats. It is near a waterway.
I'd be really annoyed to think that I was paying an exterminator to trap these rodents and my next door neighbor was just putting cayenne to force them out of their burrows. So they could move back to my yard? no thanks!

Old 05-27-2019, 04:13 PM

11,683 posts, read 6,286,279 times
As harsh as it sounds, those rats need to be terminated! Take them out and don't feel bad about it. They carry and spread disease and can be dangerous otherwise. Don't trap and then spread the filth elsewhere where they'll be the problem of others.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:01 PM

3,549 posts, read 1,364,467 times
"Anyway, any suggestions on humane ways to repel rats..."
none that will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or