Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 07:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Close the valve and leave it alone.

when you sell the house you may encounter a buyer (someone like me) who will not tolerate electric appliances. When I look at a house that has electric, I just look at how hard or easy it will be to put in gas lines However other people might only consider the house if the gas lines are there. No reason to chase off even one potential buyer when the gas lines do not hurt anything.

BTW, you cna have the chimney flue lined with concrete. They put a plug in and slowly pour in concrete as they pull the plug up through he chimney. It leaves the flue a little smaller but basically creates a new chimney. You can also line it with metal, but that is more expensive and does not re-point the inside bricks of your fireplace for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 07:39 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I've never seen overhead gas lines except in a refit. If it's original, I'd just about garn'tee it goes through the slab. I'd look in the heater and water heater closets for a distribution point where you might be able to cut and cap the fireplace line. Just possibly at the entry point to the house, but I've rarely seen multipoint distribution from the meter to points in a house.
I own three houses that had old galvanized gas pipe running through the attic. One was built in ‘55 and the other two in ‘62. They originally had those gas wall heaters. None are operational anymore, but the piping is still in the attics.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:41 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Close the valve and leave it alone.

when you sell the house you may encounter a buyer (someone like me) who will not tolerate electric appliances. When I look at a house that has electric, I just look at how hard or easy it will be to put in gas lines However other people might only consider the house if the gas lines are there. No reason to chase off even one potential buyer when the gas lines do not hurt anything.

BTW, you cna have the chimney flue lined with concrete. They put a plug in and slowly pour in concrete as they pull the plug up through he chimney. It leaves the flue a little smaller but basically creates a new chimney. You can also line it with metal, but that is more expensive and does not re-point the inside bricks of your fireplace for you.
It seems like in my area seeing gas lines makes most people cringe. ‘Total electric’ is actually a selling point.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:13 AM

577 posts, read 494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It seems like in my area seeing gas lines makes most people cringe. ‘Total electric’ is actually a selling point.
Even in my state, with electricity only costing us $0.07 a KWH, people love seeing a gas meter on a home. Good, fast warm heat and a WAY better and controllable means of cooking. JMO

Old 06-18-2019, 04:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:

On average gas is roughly 1/3 the cost of electric for most things. A heat pump may be close to competitive during mild weather when they are most efficient. For stovetop cooking unless you have induction stove most people will prefer gas. Baking is different story.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I am probably spoiled. More used to higher end homes. Wealthy people seem to want gas, especially gas stoves (gas stove/electric oven). Also for tankless water heaters, gas is the only thing that is really practical. Same is true for pool heaters and radiated heat - all of which are luxury items.

It seems odd to me that people looking at lower end houses would not want all electric since it is more expensive. I would expect the people who can least afford it to want the least expensive source of heat. Maybe not.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:18 PM

213 posts, read 157,639 times
Quote:

I think we're definitely seeing a similar shift in many areas. Induction ranges are better than gas, and they don't require huge hoods and makeup air to exhaust hazardous combustion byproducts. Central and ductless heat pumps are getting better and better at working in very-low outside temperatures, and heat-pump water heaters are cheaper to run than even most gas units. You also remove the dangers of carbon monoxide completely; gas furnaces and water heaters kill hundreds of people every year.

In addition, it's better for the environment to heat with electric in almost all states. Even in states with electricity generation mostly provided by natural gas, these power stations have cleaner exhaust than residential heaters. Not to mention the shift to renewables: an electric house can be (partially) powered by local solar panels.

Gas is cheap right now, because the externalities aren't factored in. As more and more areas start to consider the impacts of burning fossil fuels, it's pretty likely that the cost of natural gas/propane/oil heating will increase as taxes are levied on outdated methods of generating heat.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-nasty View Post
... and they don't require huge hoods and makeup air to exhaust hazardous combustion byproducts.
Gas stoves expel relatively low amounts of CO, if it's hazardous it's time to replace or fix your stove.

Quote:
and heat-pump water heaters are cheaper to run than even most gas units.
They rob heat from the house and if this is desirable it makes perfect sense. Not so much if you are heating the house in colder climate. Let's suppose your primary heat is gas, you put 3000 BTU's of heat into the room air. The heat pump hot water heater is then going to use 1000 BTU's of electric to mechanically move that heat to the water. You might as well have just directly heated the water with 3000 BTU's to begin with.

Quote:
You also remove the dangers of carbon monoxide completely; gas furnaces and water heaters kill hundreds of people every year.
True but completely avoidable. CO poisoning is typically the result of being exposed to levels over many hours that are not immediately fatal. A CO alarm will save your life in nearly all cases.

Quote:
In addition, it's better for the environment to heat with electric in almost all states.
It's not even close. Whenever you move or convert energy from one form to another there will always be inefficiencies. A base load gas plant using combined cycle is about 60% efficient and that is ideal scenario where it's the most efficient because it's running at capacity nearly all the time. Throw in some solar farms and wind mills you will not be running at capacity and the efficiency drops off. Once you get past that point you have the inefficiencies in the grid and finally whatever inefficiency you have in the heating device.

Even an older gas boiler is in the low 80% range... there will be some energy expense to move that gas to your house but it's negligible amount compared to the inefficiencies of transforming it into electric and moving it to your house.

Last edited by thecoalman; 06-18-2019 at 08:13 PM..

Old 06-21-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-nasty View Post
I Induction ranges are better than gas, and they don't require huge hoods and makeup air to exhaust hazardous combustion byproducts.
Induction is cool. I want to have an induction stove in my next home (a motor-home), but they are not better. The advantage of gas for serious cooks is you have better and immediate control of the temperature. It also heats faster. No hood is required. The hoods are to remove cooking fumes, not gas byproducts. Many gas stoves do not have hoods or any other form of exhaust.

Come to think of it, tiny motor-homes where your bed is eight feet form the stove, do not have hoods. They do have general purpose vents, but not specifically for the stove. That is why I like the idea of an induction stove-top in my future motor-home. I can remove it and take it outside to cook stinky stuff.

[/quote]
Central and ductless heat pumps are getting better and better at working in very-low outside temperatures, and heat-pump water heaters are cheaper to run than even most gas units. [/quote]

Heat pumps are good for moderate climates. Not for cold or super hot places. They also cost a fortune and require an available field for the heat exchanger. We looked at putting one in, but the cost was 10x that of a gas boiler ($60,000 vs $6000), but that is in large part due to the location and configuration of our property. We also would still have needed a gas furnace or boiler for the winters. But that heat pump would have paid for itself in savings in only 2654 years. Of course we can heat most of our house fairly comfortably using the 150 year old fireplaces. For us, firewood is free. In fact, getting rid of fallen and dead tree parts is a nuisance.

[/quote]
You also remove the dangers of carbon monoxide completely; gas furnaces and water heaters kill hundreds of people every year. [/quote]

Where do you get that figure?

Our gas stove is not vented at all. We have had a few incidents where it was left on and the igniter did not fire and the house filled with unburned gas (which is the threat, the fumes after a clean burn are inconsequential). No one dies or got sick. However had we lit a match - boom! That risk is nearly gone now between electric igniters and thermal gas flow cutoffs it will only happen if both malfunction or if your stove is old enough to not have them. In winter when the boiler malfunctioned, we turned the oven all the way up and left it open to heat the kitchen. the fireplaces only heat the old parts of the house. On of our carbon monoxide detectors has a meter on it. the fireplaces make more in the house than the stove does by far, but neither create dangerous levels.

Our gas dryer vent came apart in the basement. It was more than two months before I could fix it (a few years later, it came apart again - don't buy discount off brand duct tape). The only problem venting into the basement caused was a warmer basement and lots of cobwebs and lint all over. It actually made a nice warm moist atmosphere in the winter. There were no harmful fumes and no impact to the people and pets who sleep in the basement. No carbon monoxide detectors went off.

We also have a 210,000 BTU pool heater in our carriage house. The pool contractor never got round to putting in the vent (he went back to the store and found his wife in flagrante delicto with his business partner on a pool table (the"pool" store sold pools and pool tables - cute idea) and the whole business disappeared the next day). The pool heater ends up venting into the carriage house. Again no problem being upstairs when it is running except it gets pretty moist. the feral cats we got from the pound lived up there for several years until we figured out how to keep them out. they were fine, we were fine. the carbon monoxide detectors do not beep.

Most gas appliances are very clean burning which is why you can just vent then through the side wall of the house, or not at all. Older ones had to vent out above the roof, but not in recent history. At least not since about 1990 (give or take a decade).

The real danger of gas stoves is fire. But then electric stoves also cause fires. when I was in college, I nearly burned my parents house down and killed myself with an electric stove. (Turned on the wrong burner planning to make soup. Went to my room and fell asleep and a plastic microwave popcorn popper that was sitting on the other burner caught fire and set the counter on fire. Kind of a miracle that i woke up at all). electricity also shorts out or shorts through people and stops their heart. So if you want to tout statistics about how many people gas stoves kill, you need to compare the number killed by electric. Oh and do not forget to add in EMF deaths from people who have to live near the big transmission lines.

Electric water heaters are just a bad idea. Very poor efficiency short lived and electric is useless for whole house tankless water heaters.

[/quote]
In addition, it's better for the environment to heat with electric in almost all states. Even in states with electricity generation mostly provided by natural gas, these power stations have cleaner exhaust than residential heaters. [/quote]

Where do you get the final conclusion? Have you ever seen a gas power plant? What about states that still use coal or petroleum? (Coal petroleum and NG provided nearly 70% of electricity in 2017 Nuclear is about 20%) Nuclear production comes with its own pollution. No means of producing electricity is truely clean.

[/quote]
Not to mention the shift to renewables: an electric house can be (partially) powered by local solar panels.
[/quote]
Renewable are a long way from becoming a practical alternative. Without coal, they have difficulty keeping up with electrical demand. Demand is growing like crazy. In the USA, renewable will probably never catch up. Demand is growing faster than technology is making renewable a practical was to produce extra power. Renewables help, but the net impact on the environment/climate is pretty small. It is not just about making electricity but ls about making the things that make and store and distribute electricity and maintaining them.

Solar is still impractical in most places and too expensive where it is more practical (AZ for example). Mostly the issue is storage batteries. However the panels are expensive to maintain and replace as well. Then you need a tracking system. Inverters. Plus you need factories to make all the panels, batteries and equipment, machines to mine the materials. then there is the waste products.

One big advantage of solar is there is conceptually no need for a distribution system. However the battery problem is a significant problem.

Another alternative is in house fuel cells. Those can run on natural gas and produce water, heat and electricity - all useful things. However they are crazy expensive and take up the equivalent of a garage bay for a household sized one.

[/quote]
Gas is cheap right now, because the externalities aren't factored in. As more and more areas start to consider the impacts of burning fossil fuels, it's pretty likely that the cost of natural gas/propane/oil heating will increase as taxes are levied on outdated methods of generating heat.[/quote]

Gas is cheap because it is plentiful and very easy to obtain. It burns very clean, especially now. It will undoubtedly be a major or the major fuel source for the next 50 years or more. Possibly for a century.

I know the cheerleader catchphrases and talking points sound really nice, but they do not reflect realities. One option some people think is a good idea is to simply reduce the availability of electricity or other power sources. sure lots of people will die, but the survivors will have a cleaner planet to live on (if they can figure out how to get food, because farming is a huge consumer of power and a huge source of pollution. Of course there are also people who think the best answer is to kill off all humans and then the world will be completely natural, clean and beautiful. But then they forget that one major volcano eruption produces more toxic fumes and carbon than all of humanity does in a decade or more.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 06-21-2019 at 12:02 PM..

Old 06-21-2019, 06:33 PM

213 posts, read 157,639 times
Quote:
Induction is cool. I want to have an induction stove in my next home (a motor-home), but they are not better. The advantage of gas for serious cooks is you have better and immediate control of the temperature. It also heats faster. No hood is required. The hoods are to remove cooking fumes, not gas byproducts. Many gas stoves do not have hoods or any other form of exhaust.
You have immediate control with induction as well. In fact, the area surrounding the pan/pot only holds as much heat as the pan transferred to it, so it typically doesn't get that hot at all. This generally makes induction cooktops safer as well.

As for burning natural gas or propane without an exhaust, the newest science clearly shows an impact to indoor air quality:

https://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2018/...ty-researcher/

https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/doi/full/10.1289/ehp.122-a27

This is in addition to recent wave of research that is starting to demonstrate the dangers of high indoor CO2 (carbon dioxide) levels. Even if the flame is a perfect burn, you're adding a ton of CO2 to the air, which is a big problem in tightly-built houses.

Quote:
Heat pumps are good for moderate climates. Not for cold or super hot places. They also cost a fortune and require an available field for the heat exchanger.
I think you're referencing ground-source heat pumps (aka geo thermal), but I was just talking about more modern air-source heat pumps. They aren't significantly more expensive than standard AC units, and the mini-splits keep dropping in price. You'll probably pay more for the labor to install a high-quality mini split heat pump than the unit itself (unit is probably $1500-3000.) Those Mitsubishi units are able to still perform at -15F, though obviously less well than at higher temps.

No, they may not be sufficient for old, leaky houses in Maine, but for the Mid-Atlantic and warmer areas, HPs do just fine.

Quote:
Oh and do not forget to add in EMF deaths from people who have to live near the big transmission lines.
I assume this is a joke.

Quote:
Electric water heaters are just a bad idea. Very poor efficiency short lived and electric is useless for whole house tankless water heaters.
Electric tankless, I agree; they are a bad idea. The tank heat pump units can compete with many gas units for overall efficiency and cost to operate, though.

Quote:
Solar is still impractical in most places and too expensive where it is more practical (AZ for example). Mostly the issue is storage batteries. However the panels are expensive to maintain and replace as well.
I'm not one of those Eco-warriors. I agree that rooftop solar doesn't make sense for most right now, but that is rapidly shifting. I fully expect that in 10-15 years, the case for it will be too compelling to pass up. I don't live in an area with tons of sun, energy credits, or super high electric rates, but even conservative calculations have my break even at around 15 years with panels guaranteed for 25 (with tax rebates.) Again, the panels are getting cheaper at such a rate that labor ends up being the most expensive part.

I get the general impression that your opinions are largely based on the state of these technologies as they existed 20 years ago. A lot has changed in 20 years, and a lot more will change in another 20. I'm sure NatGas will still be used, but it will no doubt be falling out of favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House