Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 10:50 AM

510 posts, read 448,751 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase laminate flooring and have it installed. Was considering several national companies but reading mixed reviews. Any recommendations for best inventory, service, cost of installation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 03:39 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Inq

If a condo (multi floor) there might be some restrictions on flooring. Check first.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:55 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
I'm looking to purchase laminate flooring and have it installed. Was considering several national companies but reading mixed reviews. Any recommendations for best inventory, service, cost of installation?
Avoid those laminates that feel plastic-y. Laminate flooring does have some wood bits mixed in w/the plastic, but it's mainly plastic. My current house has laminate and carpet. My prior house had solid wood flooring w/carpet in bedrooms. Prior housing had vinyl tile and carpet. Old apartments I lived in years ago had wood flooring and carpet.

The laminate in my house is very noisy, and my dog slips on it and hates to walk on it. I have most of it covered with large area rugs. It would be very noisy if it were on a 2nd floor condo, so you might want to consider that.

I think the laminate the prior owners got for this house was obtained from one of the big box stores, like Home Depot, Lowe's, or Stine's. Make sure you get more than you need, so you have planks for replacing damaged ones (laminate can't be repaired).

I would think laminate is pretty much the same, no matter where you get it. Whether HD or Lowe's does good installation depends on where you live, since they draw from contractors in the area. When I lived in a big city, installation of various things from both Lowe's & HD was excellent. I haven't used them in my current smaller city because they call in workers from out of town for some things (which I won't do), or their estimates were too high (windows, garage door, garage door opener).

Old 07-08-2019, 10:03 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Are people still buying laminate? I thought LVP had pretty much replaced it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House