Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

You guys are awesome and good sports with my title lol I knew it would draw people in to help me....hehe

I am going to try the above recommindations and see if it will work and maybe oxyclean.
Thanks for helping me figure out what kind of material it might be that will help me google possible solutions. She seem a little crushed that she did this but if it not able to be cleaned it would make an intersting plant holder.

If anyone else discover this thread and has more knowlege of this pot or cleaning it feel free to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 03:54 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
I've found filling with Cascade and hot water helps with anything burned or scorched.

Also I've heard but never tried putting a laundry softener sheet in bottom of pot and fill w/hot water.

Good Luck.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:20 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Looks like Guardian Ware. You can see some on ebay and in antique stores. Just in case it cannot be fixed, you might be able to replace it.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Looks like Guardian Ware. You can see some on ebay and in antique stores. Just in case it cannot be fixed, you might be able to replace it.
omg I cant believe I did not think of Ebay , I have been googling the above possible brands and it hard to find old stuff and not new cookware they are trying to sell but It almost got me in trouble Waterglass who I never heard of has some nice stuff lol
Thank you

She soaking it in Cascade right now and trying this method until she gets to the grocery store and buy some of the other products

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-17-2008 at 06:07 AM..

Old 04-17-2008, 07:04 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Sunny, you definitely had me going w/ that title! I was ready for a discussion comparing today's MJ w/ that of 40 years ago . . . not that I would have anything to contribute to that discussion.

Just wondered - anything visible on the bottom of the pot as far as a maker's mark?

This looks like something along the lines of "club aluminum," popular in the 60s. Also, "wearever aluminum" had such dutch ovens.

Now if that is aluminum, you can take something like Bon Ami and scrub it . . . or you can try Soft Scrub and make a paste . . .

Old 04-17-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sunny, you definitely had me going w/ that title! I was ready for a discussion comparing today's MJ w/ that of 40 years ago . . . not that I would have anything to contribute to that discussion.

Just wondered - anything visible on the bottom of the pot as far as a maker's mark?

This looks like something along the lines of "club aluminum," popular in the 60s. Also, "wearever aluminum" had such dutch ovens.

Now if that is aluminum, you can take something like Bon Ami and scrub it . . . or you can try Soft Scrub and make a paste . . .
Thanks for your tips . I already look there is no markings of manufacturer material or serial number on it and if there was due to it age it has been cooked off.

Im glad I got everyone attention with my catchy title.. hehe
Im sure the moderator of this forum was like SAY WHAT and why is this in the house forum... hehe

It has been about an hour with the Cascade method to see what the results are but I need to get a srub to clean it then it on to other methods.
When you guys mention cream of tarter I was like clean it with tarter sauce that is new one lol
I learn it salt like spice ..hehe

While Im visiting her I have been helping her become a little more hip in 21st century with internet and other stuff and I told her I was going to take picture of it and ask you guys and she was just amaze when I printed out your suggestions. (yesterday she pull out one of here encycopedis dated from the late 70's lol) No go on internet anything that pops in your head you want to know it there somewhere.

I had my stomach set yesterday to eating corn on the cob urgh. hehe
I have never burnt corn and still cant figure how she boiled water out of a pot hehe

Old 04-17-2008, 07:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Thanks for your tips . I already look there is no markings of manufacturer material or serial number on it and if there was due to it age it has been cooked off.

Im glad I got everyone attention with my catchy title.. hehe
Im sure the moderator of this forum was like SAY WHAT and why is this in the house forum... hehe

It has been about an hour with the Cascade method to see what the results are but I need to get a srub to clean it then it on to other methods.
When you guys mention cream of tarter I was like clean it with tarter sauce that is new one lol
I learn it salt like spice ..hehe

While Im visiting her I have been helping her become a little more hip in 21st century with internet and other stuff and I told her I was going to take picture of it and ask you guys and she was just amaze when I printed out your suggestions. (yesterday she pull out one of here encycopedis dated from the late 70's lol) No go on internet anything that pops in your head you want to know it there somewhere.

I had my stomach set yesterday to eating corn on the cob urgh. hehe
I have never burnt corn and still cant figure how she boiled water out of a pot hehe
Sunny, I would hate to admit how many times I have walked off, gotten distracted, and boiled water out of a pot! I figured out how to get around that years ago - got a kitchen timer w/ a very loud bell and would set it when boiling water. With kids in the house, phone ringing or someone coming to the door . . . it is very easy to get distracted! So I have not done this in 20 years . . . However - DH has burned up three pots since moving here (as he is a telecommuter now - so he is home messing in MY kitchen, LOL!!!) He did this boiling eggs. He got busy working and forgot his eggs . . . wh/ has led to three explosive situations - the eggs blew up and went all over the kitchen, including the ceiling!!!

So last year I bought him an egg cooker. No more boiled out pans!!!

That is how I know to use the Bon Ami or Soft Scrub. We salvaged the pots every time . . . and they were Le Creuset . . . He chooses the most expensive cookware to try to ruin!!! But we were able to clean them, even w/ the cooked on egg. (Now the ceiling - that is another story . . . )

Old 04-17-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sunny, I would hate to admit how many times I have walked off, gotten distracted, and boiled water out of a pot! I figured out how to get around that years ago - got a kitchen timer w/ a very loud bell and would set it when boiling water. With kids in the house, phone ringing or someone coming to the door . . . it is very easy to get distracted! So I have not done this in 20 years . . . However - DH has burned up three pots since moving here (as he is a telecommuter now - so he is home messing in MY kitchen, LOL!!!) He did this boiling eggs. He got busy working and forgot his eggs . . . wh/ has led to three explosive situations - the eggs blew up and went all over the kitchen, including the ceiling!!!

So last year I bought him an egg cooker. No more boiled out pans!!!

That is how I know to use the Bon Ami or Soft Scrub. We salvaged the pots every time . . . and they were Le Creuset . . . He chooses the most expensive cookware to try to ruin!!! But we were able to clean them, even w/ the cooked on egg. (Now the ceiling - that is another story . . . )
LOL I hear ya.
I have burnt plenty of things in my time to just forgetting I was making dinner at all lol. I guess my thinking did you not here the water hitting the burner making that hiss sound..hehe
I now have habit to stay in the kitchen lwhen I cook lol.
I will clean the kitchen or do dishes while I cook. I hope this isnt a sign of her age or I will be really concern. Ill try to give a photo update next time I am up at her house.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
I have some pots that look similar. I bought them at Walmart a couple years ago and found some more sizes at Big Lots. I use them more than any other! They are cast aluminum.

If you can't find them at Walmart, you can try REI. I was looking at their website last night for camping cookware and they had some too.

BTW... this is a TOTALLY different post than I thought it would be.

Last edited by sskkc; 04-17-2008 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: add

Old 04-17-2008, 10:10 AM

883 posts, read 3,719,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
When I first saw this title and the beginning sentence I thought the topic was Pot (as in Marijuana) from the 60's that your Mom had lying around or had found. Silly me.

No idea about the actual pot. Interesting design though.
Hahahahaha!!!! I thought the same thing!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House